Okay, let's talk STRESS

I am the poorest person in the world to talk about stress…or even know how to control it in my life. Thus most of my highs are from stress in my life. So how do you realisically deal with STRESS?

I don’t want to know about hot baths, hot showers, prayer, etc., been there and done that…long walks with the dog are out, I can’t walk but maybe a 1/2 block, and then my knees are shot. So how do people control the stress of life and living and thus control their highs?

Teach me…

I used to be a non-believer of stress reducing mental excercises but they do work. You have to open your mind up to it. Also try an excercise that is not heavy on the knees like swimming. Bottom line is you have to either mess with the mind to reduce stress or mess with the body. If you are going to fight not doing either then you are in a long road with high stressfull life. Trust me, I worked a job that i would put about 70 to 90 hours a week, that is how I wound up in the ER with a blood sugar count of over 1000. My blood pressure went through the roof and my sugars were completely out of control. So I am not telling you about hypothetical ideas to reduce stress but things that actually work for me. The job issue was simple, I got laid off and had to look for a new job. I got a less stressful job until I knew that I could better manage the stress.

The only way that mental excercises work is that you have to clear your mind of what causes the stress, no way around it. If you fight it the mental excercises then reducing stress with mental excercises will not work. As far as excercise goes you have to find something that will not cause your body more harm than good. Find something that you like. For me I cant run because my ankles are shot, so I took up cycling and swimming. Bottom line you have to find something that works for you because everyone’s formula is different. If work causes stress, look for another job. I have a rule now, if work impacts my health and my family then its time to leave and get a new job.

Yoga is a great stress reducer & not hard on joints & knees. Yoga’s gentle stretching & deep breathing does wonders to calm the mind. You can rent DVDs to find one you like.

Having a supportive community like this to ask questions and just ratn when need be helps…

Sometimes I share my stress…I talk with friends, or family members, or teacher, etc There are counselors that can help talk and deal with stress. Laughing helps me out too…sharing jokes or funny movies.

I take a break from my daily routine and schedule something that is fun, recreation and activities that interest me most.

I try to take care of myself. I try to get enough rest and eat well.(I belive that if you are irritable and tense from lack of sleep or if you are not eating correctly, you will have less ability to deal with stressful situations)

A good cry can be a healthy way to bring relief to anxiety,

Sometimes I also try to be involved with something…a participant like a neighborhood or church volunteer or helping others. Maybe meet new friends.

Hope these helps a bit. I wish you well Cathy =)

One of the best natural stress relievers is exercise.

Having painful knees makes that seem impossible. But it’s possible to do exercises from a chair and get a workout. Exercise: drops blood sugar, drops blood pressure, burns calories–all important. Now, I personally dislike exercise. And I always have to convince myself to do it. But I have to say, it works. Don’t believe me? Try it for 5 days and report back! Best wishes.