OmniPod Dash Announced and Timing of Horizon APS Announced

This is correct. I listened to the Investor Day call yesterday and the presenter stated that the FDA isn’t quite at the point of allowing a cellular device to control insulin dosing. So the new PDM - a locked down android device which has no cellular connectivity - will allow for all dosing. Secondary display will be available on your phone, but you can’t dose from your phone at this time (or at the time of launch).

It appears that the meter will no longer be integrated which means not only still having to carry a PDM and a phone, but also adding a meter.

Bummer about the meter no longer being incorporated into the new PDM. Not only will it be one more thing to carry around, but I’m pretty sure health insurers will use this as an excuse to no longer cover Freestyle tests trips. I refuse to switch my daughter to a less accurate meter, so I guess I’ll be paying OOP… :angry:

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting choice to use an existing android device as the PDM. It will be my 1st android!

It seems like having the system on an Android Framework will open up many options to the DIY people.

I didn’t even consider this. The biggest reason I prizedFreestyle over others–is the minimum volume of blood needed to other meters. :frowning:

[quote=“Lorraine, post:21, topic:57413, full:true”]

This is correct. I listened to the Investor Day call yesterday and the presenter stated that the FDA isn’t quite at the point of allowing a cellular device to control insulin dosing. So the new PDM - a locked down android device which has no cellular connectivity - will allow for all dosing. Secondary display will be available on your phone, but you can’t dose from your phone at this time (or at the time of launch).
[/quote]Still, the fact that the new “PDM” is a lock-down Android smartphone implies the glaringly obvious – as soon as the FDA approves, Insulet will be ready immediately for customers to ditch the new PDM and start using their Android phone right away.

This is a smart strategy. Looks like they abandoned the new, smaller and sleeker proprietary PDM we heard about in '15 for this strategy.

I don’t think it will be exclusive to Android phones when the FDA approves. I have the impression that secondary patient and follow apps are available for both platforms. Perhaps I’m presuming too much.

I certainly hope it will available to iPhone users (if/when it becomes a phone app) as I am a die-hard Apple person. TBH, the idea of using the Android-PDM makes my skin crawl just a little bit.

I agree, it will likely be released on iPhone too.

However, the fact that the new “PDM” is in fact a locked-down Android smartphone with call/data disabled is about as certain we can get that, when the FDA gets over their vapors, Insulet will be able to support Android phones right away.

I hope they’ve got an iOS app in the works in parallel too. Even though it’s a fact that iPhone owners have Apple Loyalty Chips unknowingly implanted in their frontal cortex, I still like you all anyway :grin:

Rose, I’ve come to accept that some Apple fans are not all bad. After all, you’re a physician :grin:

On a serious note, for someone like me Android is a much better solution. By “someone like me” I mean a software hacker with Android development skills.

I’m modifying the open-source xdrip+ as we speak to add features/functionality that I want, and think helpful. For example, there’s no watchface for the Galaxy Gear S2 – the smartwatch I use (remember, Apple is Satan, no iWatch for me :laughing:). Working on one right now.

Can’t do that with the Apple ecosystem Dexcom tech – it’s proprietary.

Haha. Well, I’m not worried. I’ve learned to be patient with this stuff.

I feel like I’ve been way out of the We Are Not Waiting loop - literally. Lots has happened since we last used Nightscout. I’ve been sifting through the G5 Xdrip Facebook page, the instructions and Gitter and I’m still uncertain of exactly what to do despite the very well written instructions. Are you well versed in this? When I first saw the open Loop, I thought I would just be able to use the Android I used for Nightscout, but it seems that won’t work and there are only certain phones that will work. I wonder if people are still using Ting?

I’ll go back and continue sifting - just so much to go through. Very exciting though. I’m really intrigued by this open loop idea as a first step to the closed one.

[quote=“Lorraine, post:31, topic:57413, full:true”]
I feel like I’ve been way out of the We Are Not Waiting loop - literally. Lots has happened since we last used Nightscout. I’ve been sifting through the G5 Xdrip Facebook page, the instructions and Gitter and I’m still uncertain of exactly what to do despite the very well written instructions. Are you well versed in this? When I first saw the open Loop, I thought I would just be able to use the Android I used for Nightscout, but it seems that won’t work and there are only certain phones that will work.
[/quote]I can certainly help anyone that is having trouble getting it on to their phone, set up, and working. Also, since I’m playing with the source, any ideas for features are welcome as well.

As far as the range of phones xdrip+/G5 is working successfully on, I’m not up on that. However, one awesome feature of the current xdrip+ build is it puts a collector process on Android Wear watches so G5 readings can be collected (and displayed) with only the watch – phone doesn’t need to be there. When the phone comes back in range and connects to the watch, the data is synced so the phone has all the missed readings.

I’ve been unable to use this feature because for some reason my Huawei Android Wear watch doesn’t work with this for some reason, and what’s worse, if I have the watch on and connected at all to my phone the PHONE can’t talk to the G5 for some reason. So, my Huawei is off gathering dust, I’m using my Galaxy Gear S2 (not AW, but instead a different operating system, Tizen).

Regardless, everyone else has had success with the standalone Android Wear feature, so it’s something unique to my setup. Now that I’ve got a development environment set up and am modifying and building xdrip+, I can debug the problems with my AW watch when I get around to it.

Sorry for all the rambling.

@Dave26: To me this sounds like you are able to decode the messages that the Dexcom transmitter emits. I seem to remember a request from the FDA to Dexcom to encode the messages in a way so that no third party can decode them. The FDA seems to be threatened by an alternative that is more desirable than what they think a user should have. Do you think that the next FDA-approved transmitter will be the end of xdrip?

@Helmut, to be clear xdrip is not my work – I just started messing with it.

To answer your question, yes, the xdrip developers reverse-engineered the BLE protocol the G5 uses and figured out how to query and interpret the transmitter.

I may be in the minority, but I see a big problem with their Dash system - no BG meter.

Right now, I only have to carry my phone and PDM (my phone shows my dexcom reading, and the PDM handles insulin delivery and BG testing). In the future Dash release, you will still have to carry a separate phone to make calls, you will also need the new PDM, and a separate BG tester. 3 devices instead of 2.

I also think the current bluetooth communication between BG meters and pumps is so kloogy. You have to let them establish the link and then transmit the data.

Yes, the new PDM will be slimmer, but the missing BG meter is a huge problem for me.

And for anyone who complained about having to hit the “confirm” button on the old PDM, what will the new phone-based PDM require? Perhaps a 4-6 digit passcode? Ugh!

2 Likes

When we can begin officially dosing from the Dexcom (very soon!), will this issue be moot? Possibly. One day calibration is about a year away - which coincides with Dash coming out…

Anyway, BG meters are cheap, and sometimes free, I have one at home, in the car, and at the office.

Cigna ‘solved’ this problem for me. Cigna no longer pays for Freestyle strips. I am carrying a OneTouch meter already.

It’s not about the cost of the meter for me. Sure they are cheap, I have 6 I think. But having to carry another device around is inconvenient.
Maybe one day I would be comfortable dosing from Dexcom. But as it is now, there are so many times when it is way off for me!

1 Like

I agree that this is an unfortunate negative of the new system.

They could do something like this. http://mydario.com/smart-meter/ (not endorsing this product, I’ve never used it, but it looks cool and possibly useful for the new PDM…) It is currently only availaibe on iPhone, but they are working on getting Android approval.

Is there ANY company that has a pump that has BG, CGM, and insulin management all on the same device!!! I think every company has just 2 of the 3…
:confused: