Omnipod dash “kill switch”

My rescue beagle is terrified by the sound of the low reservoir and pod change reminder beeps from my Omnipod Dash. I try to set the reminders for times when I can distance myself from her but this isn’t always possible. I saw a Reddit post from someone who said you could activate the “kill switch” on the pod before putting it on by inserting a paper clip into a hole on the back near the reservoir port. The post claimed that the pod would still work but would not make any reminder or alarm sounds. I have used the kill switch to deactivate a beeping pod that had been removed, but I’m wondering if anyone has tried this to preemptively silence a new pod. I do realize that silencing would carry some risk of missing an occlusion or pod failure alarm, but such notifications would also be sent to the PDM and Omnipod phone display app.

1 Like

I don’t have the answer for you. But a Dobie I used to have would start shaking when my Omnipod beeped. She would shake at various beeping noises, (and thunder). I feel for you!

1 Like

I don’t know either, but perhaps @Eric2 can shed some light on this?

2 Likes

Yep. I cover the hole with tape after poking it, to help prevent water from getting in there from a shower. (But I don’t do the quieting trick if I’m at the beach or swimming. Don’t want to chance that.)

It works great, and the pod stays quiet.

But you gotta keep up on your BG, cuz if you have an occlusion you won’t know it until you do something with your PDM.

(If you try to bolus or do something with your basal, the PDM will let you know if there is a pod error or occlusion.)

3 Likes

@Eric2 Thank you! I knew if anyone knew the answer, you would … or, you’d do one of your McGyver moves to check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @Eric2 and @Tapestry, from me and from beagle Lucy! I will try this with my next pod change, and I will follow your advice about water concerns. I also wear a Dexcom, so keeping up with my BG status will not be a problem.

2 Likes

Good morning. I know this is an old thread but curious about the kill switch. I just want to make sure how to do it before applying pod.
Thank you.

@joei
Have you ever had a pod alarming, and had to quiet it by using a pin?

It’s basically the same thing.

2+ years after the original post, I still use a paper clip on the “kill switch” with every pod change and it works perfectly. Originally with Omnipod Dash and now with Omnipod 5. After filling and priming the pod but before peeling off the adhesive backing, I lift the backing to expose the pod’s bottom edge and then push hard with the end of a paper clip on the circle just to the left of the gold-colored disc. Once it’s punctured, I cover the resulting hole with a strip of flexible fabric bandage, about 3x5 mm, then peel off the adhesive backing and apply the pod. I use the same bandage for months, just snipping off a new piece as I need it. I’ve never had any issues with water getting in from showering but have never tried it when swimming. Arrow on photo indicates kill switch location.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! you are a life saver helping me with this. The anticipation of an alarm causes so much anxiety. I really appreciate your response.

1 Like