Pancreatitis and high blood sugar

2 weeks ago I spent 7 days in the hospital with an IV drip. Out of the blue I got acute pancreatitis. Does anyone know if blood sugars will be affected by pancreatitis. My sugars are running in the high 200’s

1 Like

The pancreas makes insulin, so I’m just gonna go out on a limb and say…yes.

2 Likes

What were you in for. A 200 seems low but serious.

1 Like

McCjesney I was in for pancreatitis. 7 days in the hospital. Actually my fasting blood sugars are in the high 200. 250 or higher Even when I have not eaten anything it goes higher.
l

Pancreatitis is the worst. I’m sorry. Keep an eye on it.

Hi Janette,

I recently suffered from Pancreatitis and a week later landed in the hospital with DKA. Before landing in the hospital I never had an issue with glucose. Now I am on insulin 5 times a day.

Did you have diabetes before the pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis was how I was diagnosed with Diabetes. My triglycerides were so high my blood blocked and and caused the inflammation of my Pancreas. Which, in combination with my horrible diet, caused the onset of Diabetes, or at least revealed it to me. It was the worst pain I’ve ever had and wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy. I would ask for your A1C, which is a calculation of the sugar in your blood over the previous 60-90 days, to be checked. That would give you a better idea where you stand and enable action on your part.

Hi Janette

Just wondering have you been able to recover? Is your blood sugar normal now?

Thanks!

Hi, Yes I did have type 2 for quite a few years.

My A1C was 6.5 and the most recent 6.7 so it did go up since the pancreatitis