Penpal group between teenagers and younger children with T1?

Hi! I’m Hanna and I have been T1 for 4 months now. I’m sixteen and quickly getting the hang of things, but I am super interested in getting connected with other T1 kids. Personally, after going to a few events with other diabetic teens and children, I’ve realized how important it is to surround yourself with those who fully understand you and what you deal with every day. I totally understand that no young kids are on this site, but parents, would anyone be interested in this idea? I think having even an email pen pal would be awesome because it’s quick and can be an everyday or every week kind of thing. My idea is to get kids to give advice to other kids regardless of age (something that can be extremely successful!). I definitely want to know how those fifth graders explain to their friends why they poke their finger so many times at school or why they have to go to the nurse before lunch everyday. I want to not only learn from their confidence but help them through any obstacles that they experience too! Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

1 Like

another idea is to see if you have a local JDRF chapter in your area.

and come here anytime you want, there’s lots of young people here and even older folks who know exactly what you’re going through

I have been to a couple of events from our JDRF charter which has been cool. I think the difference is that there’s often a lot of time between events which makes it hard to really have a friendship with a person of a different age.

Another suggestion is to join the #dsma Wednesday night meetups on Twitter at 9pm Eastern time. I know of at least one teen who’s an active participant. Let me know if you want more details.

2 Likes

There’s also a Twitter chat following #DCDE on Tuesdays at 9:00. I have fun, and know many of the participants and have gotten to know others but I’m not sure that’s exactly the friendship thing.
But I think it can be an effective way to connect
I met some online people IRL at ADA Scientific conference in 2013 and then again last year in Las Vegas at the Diabetes Unconference and it was special to connect to folks I’d known online, sometimes for years!! When I talk to people who are not engaged this way, they will sometimes, look at me like “woah, that’s nuts!” but these connections can be very real and supportive!!

1 Like

after, i look at some-stuff, i think, the #dsma, will be, the best, bet, I’m, looking, in-to the #dsma,.

do anyone, know, when, i look, up this, #dsma, ?.