Ping or new t:slim?

Yikes, it has been a long time since I have been on here, but I knew I could count on my tudiabetes community to give me some feedback. My Animas Ping warranty is just about up, so I am looking into whether or not I should update the Ping, or go with the new t:slim that comes out in a month. I love the size and ease of the new t:slim, and I also like that it actually has the capability of downloading to a Mac, something the Ping cannot do. My doctor also gets frustrated with the length of time the Ping takes to download when I am at his office, and he is the one encouraging me to look into the t:slim. However, most of the time with the Ping I use my One Touch as a remote. I hardly ever bolus from the pump itself, and I think I might miss this convenience. Anyone have first hand experience with the t:slim and can give me some feedback on it?

I looked into the t:slim and am just not convinced regarding its durability. I love my iPhone, but there's no way I could expose my pump to the same things I expose my iPhone to and have it keep working. One of the primary reasons I went with my Minimed pump was durability. I do a lot of camping, backpacking, and other physical activities and I want a pump that I know can take a beating a keep working. Finally, from the research I did on the t:slim, it just doesn't offer enough advantages to make the switch worth it. If it did something really spectacular (like make my coffee in the morning), I might consider it.

Since no one has one yet go with the t:slim and let us know how it works out...;-)

Although I love to see new insulin pumps entering the market, I have a few serious concerns about the T-Slim.

I personally do not want a pump using a rechargeable battery. It is an absolute deal-breaker for me. I use a Dexcom and hate the constant recharging. It's not the end of the world if my phone or Dexcom runs out of juice. It's a life-threatening catastrophe with my pump. What will happen the first time you go on a trip and forget the cord? Or what about going on a backpacking wilderness trip where you have no electricity to recharge the pump. I am perfectly content with my pump that uses a single AAA battery. These batteries last about 3 weeks for me, they're super cheap, you can buy them almost anywhere, and most importantly I always have a spare or two with me.

I assume that there are lots of safeguards built into the touch screen of the T-Slim. I know I inadvertently have goofs with my smartphone and open various apps and the camera when I'm not paying attention. I don't think most devices with touch screens will last 4 or 5 years, but hopefully T-Slim will have the capital to provide warranty back-up for its pumps.

My pump warranty runs out this fall. I really like my Revel pump, but hate the Medtronic CGMS. So I will be looking at Animas for the future integration with Dexcom. But I think there are many things I won't like about the Ping compared to the Revel. As I've said in several other posts, it's frustrating that there are so many things on the horizon but they're not here yet.

But if you go with the T-Slim, I hope you love it. New gadgets always inspire me to take better care of my diabetes.

Like Lathump, the rechargable battery is, for me, definitely a no-go. I do a lot of camping, hiking, and backpacking and I always carry a few extra batteries with me. I don't want to be caught somewhere without access to electricity and have my pump die. Popping in a new battery is way easier.

here's a video by Allison Blass on the Tslim. pros & cons in her opinion
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/07/tandems-tslim-up-close-and-personal.html

Toni - Like you, my Ping warranty is up soon. I started considering my options a few months ago. I was seriously interested in the t:slim until their “no trial, no retun” policy deflated my interest. I will wait and see what tandem does in their second generation.

I took advantage of an offer from Insulet to purchase their OmniPod system with an initial $200 out of pocket payment. The beauty of this, since my insurance company is not involved, I can still buy any other pump and receive my insurance coverage. My insurance company did pay for a 90 supply of pods. I’m using the O’Pod now and I see why they’re popular. I like it.

Insulet tells me that I will be eligible for a free upgrade to their next generation Pod when it comes out. I like that and I like the fact that any integration with the Dexcom CGM will still give me the ability to place the CGM receiver/pump PDM so that I can wake up while I’m sleeping. I don’t understand why people want the CGM integrated with a tethered pump that will be layered over with blankets at night and seriously degrade the system’s ability to wake up the sleeping diabetic!

I also called Animas and was surprised to learn that if I replaced my pump with them, I would simply be getting another Ping like my old Ping. I think they will allow an upgrade to their new system for abut $100 when it comes out. Of course, customer service reps and pump purchasing diabetics will be the last ones to find out their new release timeline!

I read where due to public outcry, t:slim has now changed their policy on their return. Like others, I am also a little hesitant on the charger part, as I am always forgetting to pack my charger for my Dexcom, and would really hate to forget it for my pump. Batteries are much simpler. We shall see though. I think competition in diabetes products is important, so somebody needs to take risks on new products. Not sure yet whether or not that person is me:)

Thanks for the link Marie. That was very insightful.

Re the charger issue, one of my running buddies was recently mentioned she'd heard that the battery, while rechargeable, is also removeable so you can have more than one, which might be a way to get more "legs" out of it in some sort of emergency situation?

Were it me, I would rather have some other people try out the t-Slim before joining their bandwagon. I chose an Animas Ping because its features fit me very nicely. It also came highly recommended by two other diabetics who's judgement I trust. I think the T-Slim is far too new to put full trust in it, along with its producing company. I bet my insurance company would go crazy if they bought a pump that would not be supported in two years.

Best wishes in your choice,

Brian Wittman

Thanks Marie. Veeeeeery interesting. Personally, I wouldn't want to use the first generation of anything - insulin pumps, cars,.... though I'm always seduced by new tech ;)

I agree. I think the company needs to find some others willing to really give this thing a test run. I love competition - it drives down prices and increases our options. BUT, it's really hard to stick your neck out there with a life-sustaining device. That said, if t:slim wants a tester, I'd totally be willing to do it!

I have been wearing Animas' pumps for 10 or so years now. My doctor, a well known endo with T1 himself, is the one who told me to check out the T:slim before making my next purchase. There's a good chance he has worn it himself, so I am going to email him some questions before making my decision.

High Toni,
I too have considered upgrading to the t-slim after playing with it at the Seattle ADA expo this last April. I've decided to stay with my Deltec even though it has been out of warranty for 3+ years. The reasons not upgrade now is for several big reasons. Biggest reason is the battery issue. I've often lost Dexcom use because of being away from electricity for several days (no problem with the better Navigator CGM AAA batteries).
The t-slim does have other options for electricity because of USB charging from a 12 volt or solar adapter but still a hassle compared to AAA battery.

Another reason is insurance because then I'd be locked into the t-slim and something else better will be on the market before I'm eligible again for replacement. The t-slim doesn't offer anything much better than what I have now. Also the t-slim rep, that was at the ADA Expo, told me that they will be upgrading the t-slim to work from a smartphone very soon.

I bet your Ping will be dependable long after the warranty expires and even if it does fail it's not hard to get temporaries somewhere, I still have my old minimed that still works, and my Doc has even offered temps. I'd even go to MDI rather than give up that insurance benefit. Technology is snowballing, better options are around the corner, or already in Europe.

Frank from Camano

I am in the procsses of making the change from accuchek to the new tslime just sent the paperwork in today. i an not wait

I really don’t get the appeal of the tslim. Maybe you can play words with friends. Unless they are going to give you a major discount on the pump and supplies, I would go with something that has a proven track record.

I hope you will keep us informed about how it works for you. I am interested because it is hard to find pumps that holds 300 units of insulin and water proof. I am thinking about asking my endo's nurse to look into it for my insurance. please let us know!

I do not believe the t:slim is waterproof or even water resistant. There is nothing on their site saying so.

That would be my hesitation. The technology is a little different and while it may prove safer in the long-run, I'm not sure I want to test that out. That said, the pump looks awesome, but seriously doubt it can withstand the abuse that my Minimed Revel endures each day. The rechargable batteries also give me pause. But I am very curious to hear from some who are brave enough to give the t:slim a try.