Please Report TuDiabetes Website Issues

Then the reason members cannot change parts of their profile is that we are still waiting on the completion of the WP/Discourse profile integration. But we anticipate that members will have full control over the fields in the profile. Correct?

Whassup with the checking my posts for spam notification? This is new since yesterday.

1 Like

This is what I was referring to:

Iā€™m surprised no one reported it because itā€™s everywhere. :open_mouth:

Yeah, it was (is?). Definitely noticed it. Just didnā€™t care that much. There seemed to be other, bigger, more annoying, and thus higher priority issues to address first. For example, the issue in the quote below ā€¦ :confounded:

So ā€¦ what is up with this silly new pop-up message? It seems to be a nuisance pop-up in the most full & complete sense of the term. Arrrgh. :anger:

Until youā€™ve earned some trust on the site, new posts will be run through Akismet. After youā€™ve posted enough times, Discourse will trust you and wonā€™t scan your posts anymore. The notification is just telling you that your post wonā€™t appear immediately because itā€™s being scanned. It should show up after a few seconds, depending on how many posts are queued to be scanned.

Akismet should help to automatically vet new members of the community. Some spam will still slip through obviously, but Akismet can take most of the burden off of moderators.

Oh, I think I completely understand the reason for this & I think I also understand the rationale behind it.

Itā€™s the implementation of it which, to resort to technical jargon, completely sucks. That plus the fact that my user profile has technically been around since 2008 plus the 236 posts Iā€™ve made just to Discourse alone since it came up. (What can I say, I like to hear myself talk ā€¦ :unamused: )

Just what the frick do I need to do to build up enough ā€œtrustā€ to not be harassed? I think you need to give the thresholds settings for this tool a searching and fearless usability inventory. :angry:

Iā€™d also suggest that until you can fine tune it more, you turn it off because I think all itā€™s really accomplishing right now is pi$$ing people off.

1 Like

I have to agree with iJohn. I think we brought all the old members over and gave them Basic (TL1). So they shouldnā€™t be new. Is there a different thing we should do to tell akismet that they are not ā€œnew.ā€ I would not like this to happen with everyone.

2 Likes

@Brian_bsc: You have mentioned before that 503 errors are to expect for the following days due to restarts etc. However I have to report that the error 503 is ocurring 9 out of 10 times I am visiting ā€œwww.tudiabetes.orgā€. I have to manually circumvent this issue by entering ā€œForum Guidelines - TuDiabetesTuDiabetesā€ which will always work despite of the 503 error on the main page:

Error 503 Connection timed out
Connection timed out
Guru Mediation:
Details: cache-fra1240-FRA 1430322565 3987712899
Varnish cache server

It seems as if main page and forum are served from different web services with differing reliability.

1 Like

getting the same one. looks like WP is having more troubles than discourseā€¦

I believe the WP and Discourse sides are actually separate processes which communicate and that much if not most of the active work on fixing the identity and login issues is going on in WP. I suspect this is the source of the 503 errors. But we can report it anyway.

@dishers you mean when you click on the magnifying glass to look for something?

Iā€™m seeing something and I wonder if Iā€™m just doing something wrong.

I do not get notifications of new comments on posts that I have commented on, yet it says Iā€™m tracking the conversation and will get notifications.

If I comment on a conversation and it indicates I am tracking it, should I get notifications in my speech bubble?

1 Like

@Lorraine What you want is the " :grey_exclamation: Watching" option. See what it says here:

Itā€™s a bit much for my tastes because my notifications list can fill up fast. I prefer to see how many unread messages there are from the topic list. I ā€œWatchā€ only the topics that I need to be emailed about.

Iā€™ve seen that before - thank you, @neillll for pointing it out. It seems inconsistent with the statement next to the ā€œtrackingā€ box that says ā€œyou will receive notificationsā€¦ā€ I thought I should be receiving notifications - lol. I guess in this context the number or ā€œnewā€ is the notification. Iā€™m finding that cumbersome to scroll through all the conversations to see which ones have been updated.

Thanks for the clarification!

Iā€™m probably telling you something else you already knowā€¦ but Iā€™ll put it here for others who are still learning. The New and Unread tabs at the top of topic lists will show you only the topics and categories that youā€™re tracking. I typically go to my Unread tab first to catch up on what I missed.

I believe the full description for ā€œtrackingā€ clarifies that you only receive a notification if someone does something which actually reaches out and touches your username.

One way to do that is @ing you in their post. The other is to reply directly to a post you made by using the button directly underneath your post. I believe that using the reply button at the bottom of the page wonā€™t notify someone who is only ā€œtrackingā€ the discussion.

(Possibly quoting text from one of your posts may also get you notified, but I havenā€™t checked to verify that.)

@neillll is there any way I can reset that unread to 0? itā€™s currently at 520. I canā€™t imagine how many @Brian_bsc has :smiley:

Yes the full definition does indeed explain this. I hadnā€™t taken the step to click on ā€œtrackingā€ to see a further explanation. To me it is misleading. I think the language could be improved to make it clearer, but itā€™s certainly not a high priority or deal breaker in any way. :smile:

Just to muddle things further - I first saw the explanation of ā€œtracking, watchingā€, etc. at the group level. I chose to get notifications of all items posted to a group. I was getting them. I forgot exactly what I had done - didnā€™t realize it was only for that particular group, so I expected to get more notifications. I see now the specificity you can choose for selected conversations and further for entire groups.

@MarieB, if you click New or Unread you will be brought to a list of those posts and at the bottom is a button entitled Dismiss. You should be able to mark them all as read with a single button press.

Yes I know what you meanā€¦ :blush: There are a couple of options:

ā€œDismiss Postsā€ will set the number of unread posts to 0. The ā€œDismiss Topicsā€ button will stop those topics from showing in the list in the future.

2 Likes