Pump Emergency Kit

I keep stashes in lots of places.

I carry with me, all the time, glucose tablets, a meter, batteries and a syringe.
If I am going to be away from home or work for more than a couple of hours, I carry a kit with my supply kit, which has infusion sets, reservoirs, inserters, swabs, glucose tablets, insulin, glucose tablets, extra test strips, batteries and my backup pump.
In my office: extra test strips, infusion sets, reservoirs, swabs, glucose tablets, insulin, syringes, batteries.
In my homes: more of all of that stuff.
In my car: 2 jars of glucose tablets and batteries
In my gym bag: glucose tablets and batteries.
Is it too much? I don’t know, but it makes me feel like I am fully covered wherever I am, So far so good.

i’m on the omnipod, but i carry an extra pod with me, along with a bottle of insulin, a couple of syringes, omnipod pdm, test strips, lancets, bottle of 50 glucose tabs, alcohol pads, and extra batteries for the pdm. i also have an extra pod at work.

i use an extra small timbuk2 messenger bag as my purse (and all the supplies but the extra pod are in a makeup bag), so i can even throw my DSLR in there and have room for an umbrella. :wink:

Old thread but I was looking for a thread like this. I bought a semi hard shelled gps case off of amazon and I put in the following:

Couple of ketone strips
2 of the IV prep pads
1 infusion set
1 reservoir
1 bottle of apidra
the quickserter

One thing I wanted to do (which I dunno if it's a good idea or not) is to prefill the reservoir. This way I don't have to carry around the bottle of insulin and doing my site changes will go quicker (especially handy when doing them @ work). Any thoughts on that?

I do like the idea of throwing in a couple of syringes. I'll definitely add that to my case

I actually don't carry extra insulin on me when I am within an hour or so of home because I am worried that it will go bad from being out of the fridge for too long (though it does last a month at room temperature). I only carry insulin with me in I have less than one day's insulin in my pump reservoir or if I happen to have a vial with a small amount left. I just carry that in my purse for a while.

The reason that I don't worry about this is that I can draw insulin out my pump using a syringe even if everything else fails. Of course, this doesn't protect again insulin going bad, but I have never really had a problem with this. Maybe it would be a good idea to leave a vial at work, if you have a fridge there that you could leave it in. I also know enough diabetics that I could call someone if I were in a real emergency.

If I know that I will need to change my reservoir that day, then I do prefill it at home and take it like that, but I don't know if it is OK to leave it in there longer than a day.

I experienced the importance of the pump emergency kit a couple weeks ago.

ALL that I had with me was ONE extra infusion set. I got to work before a full day of teaching and my blood sugar was very high. I figured that I forgot to change my infusion set on time. So I changed my infusion set (used QuickSet at the time) in the office and as I was pulling up my pants, I pulled the set out.

So there I was with high blood sugar and no more infusion set. I didn't even have a syringe on me. In a break between classes, I ran to the pharmacy and bought syringes and made it through the day. But now I carry two infusion sets with me at all times.

(Side note: Most of the time I use Sure T, then I feel that one really is enough because if I pull it out then I can reinsert it because it has a metal cannula. This is not true with the teflon cannula.)

Suzanne, this might be just another dumb question from me, but... how did you manage to accumulate enough test strips that you could have 350 laying around? Must be good insurance because mine (United NoCare) has a stroke whenever I ask for a refill.