Questions

Usually before I post something I type it up, reread it, change it, and then think about what I have said then paste it into the discussion. Some things have been bothering me lately and I think they are taking a toll on my BG. So I got up this morning and wrote a disccussion to post here. But as I reread it I decided that all I was doing was inviting you to my pity party because I didn't want to be there alone, so I deleted it. Since I turned 61 in Aug it just seems like I am looking at my life as a total train wreck. As I said the anxiety and stress is affecting my BG control. My question is this, how are you handling getting older, finances, social life and health? How do you stay motivated?

ps SEAGATOR if you read this I could really use your insight.

Its these little subtle things that creep up on you Sarein.

Today I was at the ENT because of a plugged ear with it full of wax and needed the Dr to clean it out. I took a hearing test and the Audiogolist said I was loosing hearing, but I was good “for your age group” Of course she was about 27.

I remember that statement oh so often when I was doing care taking for my parents who have both passed.

Ah yes “for their age group” Now I have arrived to my parents age.

I try to stay involved in a philtrophic organization. Helping others helps me alot put my mind off my problems. You need something everyday to take your mind off your mortality.

I think Pauly is right about keeping yourself occupied on a daily basis. I find that when I have something different than everyday cooking and cleaning, I feel better mentally and physically. I attend a knitting and crocheting group at our local Senior Citizens Center twice a month. We make winter items like hats, scarves, and mittens for low income children and adults. Most of the yarn is donated, so it is just our time that is involved.

Do we have worries about finances, social life and health? Yes we do and sometimes talking about it in a group setting like that helps us realize that we aren’t really alone - other people have the same problems. When I get stressed my BG goes off like a rocket. I try not to let it get out of hand, but sometimes it does anyway. That is when I really, really want something sweet like ice cream or cookies :slight_smile:

Mayumi, here are my problems: 1) I live in small mountain farming town and groups like your needlework just don’t exist here; 2) I have been unable to drive for years due to my eyesight (diabetes related) so must depend on others; 3) I have uncontrolled Crohn’s disease which makes social interaction very difficult right now. In fact I haven’t even been able to attend chruch for months. Are these excuses? Probably. But I just don’t know how to handle them.

Pauly, I think you are right. I now am beginning to realize that I am in that age group! You are right keeping busy is so important.

Thanks. My eyesight is ok just not good enough to pass the eye test for my license. Oh well, my sister says the state of CA is better off, lol. I reallly don’t get out of the house much anymore because of my rheumatoid and osteo and because of my back. I am not very steady on my feet either and being alone I am afraid of falling and not being able to get up. (The coyotes would probably come and drag me off, lol) And now with Crohn’s I don’t venture far from the pot. I am looking forward to cooler weather though so that it will be a little more desirable to even make the effort to get out.

I’m with Lots (again) - any time outside is definitely curative - even rainy days! I must have sat on that “goodbye Uncle Ron” blog for most of the afternoon before I finally posted it … and then just to my friends. I don’t like to be the downer in any group since it’s usually my ‘job’ to be the funny one… and I love that job (don’t get me wrong), but it does make it difficult to write about any of the unfunny stuff that happens on a regular basis. There are so many people here and everywhere else for that matter who have ‘it’ worse than I will ever have to endure so I really truly hate being the one complaining about my poor fitting shoes in a crowd where people really are missing their feet! I read what I’ve typed over and over trying to capture most of the typos and especially trying to find anything that might be mis-read. Nobody here can see if you’re smiling, giggling or tearing up.

The mountain farming town sounds wonderful to us city folk, but I also understand the drawbacks - like the long drives to medical treatment (good luck with that!) and the lack of transportation would be difficult for anyone who can’t drive, bike, jog etc. And Crohn’s would certainly keep you close to home. I used to have a maximum 3 hour ‘window’ for being away from my bathroom. It’s not like you can just pick up and ‘run off’ for any length of time. Your body won’t let you and it must seem like you’re trapped in that idyllic mountain town we all dream about. Heck - half your walks would likely be uphill! I can see this post coming across like a downer too but really I’m just trying to tell people like Sareln and Lots that you have company and hoping that helps.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, so adjusting to diabetes was much easier than if I was diagnosed as an adult. It is the only life I have known. Motivation to work hard for good control of my overall health has always been very important. That carries over into the rest of my life, and is still with me now that I am 71. My health and diabetes are very good, despite my arthritis, some hearing loss, carpal tunnel, etc. My social life has never been all that great. My wife and I are friendly people, but we don’t like parties and we kinda keep to ourselves most of the time. I was a school teacher and my wife was a stay-at-home mom, so there has never been much money. We put our two sons through college until they had masters degrees, so there is not much savings, but we have been out of debt for about 5 years. My wife and I are therefore pleased with our health, social life, and finances. As long as things stay this way we don’t have any problems with getting older. We still get around and travel some, work in the yard and on the house. We are very easy going and simple folks, without any stress to speak of. I hope it stays that way for a long time.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, so adjusting to diabetes was much easier than if I was diagnosed as an adult. It is the only life I have known. Motivation to work hard for good control of my overall health has always been very important. That carries over into the rest of my life, and is still with me now that I am 71. My health and diabetes are very good, despite my arthritis, some hearing loss, carpal tunnel, etc. My social life has never been all that great. My wife and I are friendly people, but we don’t like parties and we kinda keep to ourselves most of the time. I was a school teacher and my wife was a stay-at-home mom, so there has never been much money. We put our two sons through college until they had masters degrees, so there is not much savings, but we have been out of debt for about 5 years. My wife and I are therefore pleased with our health, social life, and finances. As long as things stay this way we don’t have any problems with getting older. We still get around and travel some, work in the yard and on the house. We are very easy going and simple folks, without any stress to speak of. I hope it stays that way for a long time.