Quickset infusionset

I would like some feedback to what others think of the quickset infusionset. I am interested in trying them as I was having absorption problems with my abdomen area. I am using mio 90 degree and was concerred about the cannula kinking under the skin .Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah,. I hated them. So many kinked cannulas I nearly stopped pumping. I only use Sure-T’s which can’t kink as they are a tiny steel needle. They are great, they are cheaper,they insert so easily. You can get samples for free from tech suppor–then order if u like 'em.

I would say that in 18 years of using quickset only, I have had less than 5 kinks. I like them a lot.

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things about Medtronic devices or the company. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

1 Like

I tried them and thought they were awful. Silhouettes are the most reliable I have used.

1 Like

If Mio is kinking, then you should expect much worse outcome from Quicksets. How about changing the insertion site? There is plenty of other areas that can be used if the abdomen is making problems.
I switched to Mio after having used Quicksets 6 and 9 mm for more than 15 years and I’m very happy with all in one solution of Mio. The only thing i dislike is the connection type.

I have been using quick sets for over 15 years, with very few issues.

I tried the Mios and Sure-Ts, by getting samples from local Medtronic sales rep. But found the quick sets worked best.

Prior to quick sets, I used Silhouettes, which also worked ok, but I think it’s easier to insert the quick sets.

I had absorption problems with the quickset.

They worked well at first, but as scar tissue developed I started having lots of problems. I never tried another set though because I didn’t really like the pump that much. I just switched to MDI.

I switched to the Silhouette infusion sets when I started using a MM 722 pump for Loop. I’ve been using them since November 2016 and I don’t think I’ve experienced even one occlusion or kinking. I have experienced some slow BG rises when I push past 72-hour use.

I’ve used and liked the Insets (90 degrees) as well but did run into trouble when I over-used my abdomen and experienced absorption problems. But that’s a management problem and not a product defect. I think the important thing is try out various sets and decide which works best for you. I do think reports of Inset kinking are a valid problem and it’s likely an individual body experience. It’s also important to identify and start to use some formerly unused body real-estate.

Rotate, rotate, rotate your sites… or else you suffer…
Lipohypertrophy (scar tissue)

Lipohypertrophy is a lump under the skin caused by accumulation of extra fat at the site of many subcutaneous injections of insulin. It may be unsightly, mildly painful, and may change the timing or completeness of insulin action.

Here’s an article on this topic.

I take scar tissue formation as a serious complication of insulin injection and/or infusion set insertion. Before I choose a site, I massage the area to feel if there is a lump under the skin. If good, I go ahead.

I rotate between possible sites. Tummy, love handle (as far back as possible, then around the waist), legs, arms. I saw some women also use the boob area. So I did use my moob (man boob) area too. Surprisingly, no pain inserting there. I notice despite my continuous rotation, I still hit some sites that do not feel right. I just move the site immediately.
Here’s a diagram of available sites.

1 Like

Here’s what might happen if you do not rotate your sites.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Lipohypertrophy+photos&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=W9Tiu-B-JRR9BM%253A%252Cs6WyOT3rzjzzSM%252C_&usg=__6GB5u5iCP97h3bDrcS1R9FAfjCU%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio7OO4y-raAhVJMd8KHRCbCL0Q9QEIOTAI#imgdii=D4r7p33_PmK2sM:&imgrc=W9Tiu-B-JRR9BM:

I have no issues with Quicksets at all, and I am not a frequent changer of sites… I can leave them a week to 10 days (I know, not recommended, but I have no scarring or absorption problems). I use my belly only, and have done so for nearly 20 years. I started pumping with Softsets, but changed to Quicksets as soon as they were released. I’ve also used Mios, but I much prefer Quicksets. They feel sturdier and better quality, and I like the inserter being separate. I have inserted by hand once or twice too, which has worked fine, but it is not my preferred method.
I have a fairly generous layer of tummy, but I am also very active in martial arts, and I have dislodged cannulae through vigorous falling, but I can count maybe one or two blockages only.
I’ve been very lucky with my sites. I have also had zero issues with Libre on my arms.