Recommended Insulin Pump (to use w/ Dexcom 6 or 7) 2023

Been on Medtronics Minimed 630 pump for a number of years. Quite happy with it, but almost time for new pump. Recently upgraded by Dexcom to G7 with free receiver :+1:. I’m fine with 2 devices, but it would be nice to have only 1.
Curious to see what other pumpers think of the pumps they are using in 2023, especially if also using Dexcom CGM, g6 or g7. I understand tslim may soon work with G7, so if you have tslim & g6, that would be of special interest. Many thanks for your suggestions, experiences.

1 Like

I am currently using Tslim X2 + Dexcom w/G6, after 25+ years using Medtronic pumps (50x thru 523).

Pump wise the medtronic was easier to load reservoir, and it worked well for me. Used early medtronic sof-sensors, then switched to Dexcom Seven, G4, etc.

I am happy with the Tandem X2, + dexcom G6 and improved A1C using CIQ, with less effort. CIQ will adjust basal to target 112 bg 24x7 if set up that way (24 hr sleep mode).

I have heard the newer medtronic pump tries to “learn” your insulin needs, but my days can vary in my meals and activity that I doubt it would find any patterns, now that I have retired.

2 Likes

That sounds really good. I am semi-retired from programming, but now do a lot of tutoring, spend more time in a gym, and my schedule also varies greatly from day to day. Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

In February I switched to Tandem/Dexcom G6 after 18 years on various Medtronic pumps. I switched because the auto mode algorithm on the 670/770 pumps was awful. The Guardian sensors actually worked great for me. Control IQ on the Tandem pump is much better although not perfect. The Guardian sensors were actually more accurate for me but Dexcom G6 is pretty good. I can see my graph on both the pump and my phone (and watch).

Right now the only other option available to work with the Dexcom is OmniPod 5. Other options should be coming along soon, like the iLet pump that was just approved by the FDA. The Ypsopump is another one but I don’t think it’s been approved by the FDA yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

The two pumps do algorithm differently, so you should consider which is better for you.

Medtronic creates basal profile based on prior use.
Tandem has you enter your basal rates and then makes adjustments from there.

I like the Tandem because I can set my rates manually and because my needs change pretty drastically from hour to hour.

I have some rates at .8 and others at 1.3. Depending on the time of day.

It also allows you to bypass the bolus calculation and you can enter your own value. If I ate some fat, I’ll increase it, if I’m going on a walk, I’ll pull it back. You can do thst without leaving the auto mode.

I’ve never used the automated system with Medtronic. I bailed after so much trouble with sensors about 3 years ago.

1 Like

contents removed by original author

1 Like

The Medtronic 780 looks very promising. The new algorithm appears to be more aggressive and while I have not used it, it is encouraging. I currently use Tandem and the sexy dexy.

2 Likes

I switched to T-Slim and Dexcom G6 year ago and while loading the cartridge is a pain, I love the control I have using sleep mode 24/7 on this pump. I eat a lowfat, complex carb, whole food, plant based diet and using the extended bolus feature, I’ve been able to lower A1C to 6.0 and get a TIR of 96 - 98%. Loved Medtronic back in the day, but just didn’t ever completely get me where I wanted to be. Hopeful that Tandem get the G7 working with T-Slim soon.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback. :slightly_smiling_face: My last A1C was 6.2, tho i had to do a lot of juggling to get there. The more i am reading about T-Slim, (except perhaps the cartridge loading) the more intrigued i am.

I’m using Medtronics 670G and Dexcom G6. Guardian sensors were too inaccurate and erratic for my continued use. Using Dexcom sensors, pump choice mostly boils down to reservoirs vs. automation. Targets and corrective doses in automation are all to timid for me. In addition, my basal rates are too low for automated rates to be practical.

I’m comfortable changing MiniMed reservoir anytime and anywhere, inc. in public. And checking for air in reservoir is quite easy.

1 Like

Omnipod is what use. Did Medtronic for about 15 years and t slim for 3 years. Have been on omnipod for 5 years. Going tubeless is a total game changer. Also, not having to fiddle with infusion set insertion and prime is awesome. I can change a pod much faster with very little attention to the process.

1 Like

The Tandem reservoir is easy to fill once you get used to it. You first fill a syringe, then stick syringe into cartridge and push insulin in.

Those with poor eyesight or poor hand coordination may take longer to get used to it, or may choose to use alternative pump or pens.

If possible, check if your endo may have a tandem pump you could see for yourself, or maybe local Tandem rep could do same.

I used Medtronic since 506 model, and no problem with transition to Tandem X2 3 years ago.

1 Like

I switched from a Medtronic (523 + sofsensor) to T-slim X2 with CIQ and G6 (now G7) about 4 years ago. It has been a wonderful change, A1C decreased from low 7’s to upper 5’s without scary lows. It does take some getting used to filling the Tandem cartridge, but it is very rare to get any bubbles in the tubing vs. Medtronic where it was common. There are some youtubers who compare pumps, you might want to watch.

1 Like

I have a tslim too and I like it a lot. When my warrantee is up in June illlikely get the mobi. Because it’s smaller

1 Like

Same here, and will be on
Medicare by then.

See my endo in same timeframe next appt, in June.