Rehab/retreats

I agree with everything said. However I suggest a much different approach. The medical resources available to you are numerous. St Francis is good, IU is great, Community is great as well. I believe the issue here is not medical. If you wanted a doctor you woudl have one and there are some great ones in close proximity.

I can say this because I was where you are. Oh not the same thing exactly, but close. I did not see a doctor for over 22 years. I self administered insulin took care of my self and never tested. You cannot do what you are doing and expect to live. I was lucky you may or may not be. But you are younger and more out of control than I.

So here is how I dug myself out of the awful hole I was in. I started with a therapist, and if you are serious about getting help, here is one that can and will do it:

Pollyu Lybrook
1501 E Hillside Dr Suite 200
Bloomington, IN 47401
(812) 331-1602 (Office)

Only call her if you are serious. Call her immediately and tell her I,Rick Phillips referred you, if you are not serious then do not call her. There is no need to waste yours or hers time. She is a great doctor and she can help you if you want help.

Why do I make this suggestion? I know where you are coming from. I refused to see a doctor for over 22 years. I self medicated, i did not test and I pretty much got away with it. I was very very lucky. I doubt if you stay on this track you will be. You need to see a medical doctor, you need to test, see an MD and deal with your thoughts about hiding your disease. Polly can and will if you let her,help you deal with the issues that drive you too self destruction. She can help you reenter the medical system and she can put you in touch with the best doctors at IU.

I suggest you find Dr. Anthony Lee, he has a practice on the south side of Indy, but he is the best. His southern Indy office might have great doctors, I just do not know for sure.

Again if you are serious, call Polly's office immediately. In my opinion you need to get your head in a good place or all the medical stuff will be for naught. Poly can help you do that. If you are not ready then don't bother Polly. The desire to change is something only you can have. It sounds like you are ready, but only you know that. Polly will help you deal with the fears, embarrassment, and other concerns. Please call. This will work. It did for me albeit with another therapist in a different town. But Polly is the best. so good luck.

Rick

PS: I requested you accpet my friend invitation. I am willing to help however I can.

The Joslin in boston has an excellent 3 day out-patient program called DOIT (Diabetic Outpatient Intensive Therapy) which provides a full medical work up and lots of classes/groups/meetings. They may also have something similar for teenagers since they have a large pediatric diabetes practice. The programs are expensive but mostly covered by insurance.

Don't put yourself down. There is nothing harder than trying to mobilize when you're tired, weak and peeing all the time. But once you make even small steps, things start to get easier.

Good luck,

Maurie

John Belushi in Animal House when the dean threw the fraternity off campus: "Oh MAN!! Seven years of college, down the drain!"