Replacement for One Touch UltraSmart meter

I have been using an UltraSmart meter, which is a logbook that records insulin, exercise, food, illness, doctor visits, etc., etc., etc. There was a Smart Version of the One Touch II meter that I used before the One Touch Ultra Smart came out.

But the One Touch Ultra Smart was programmed not to work after 2020, so it stopped working on New Years Day 2021.

Is there any replacement? Any meter (or meter plus app) that keeps a logbook of everything?

(I understand LifeScan decided most people found the Smart meters too complicated and decided to stop providing anything except glucose monitoring.)

yes - Contour Next One - Most of us have moved on from LifeScan to more accurate meters such as this one.

I’ve never found another meter that allows logging directly in the meter like the UltraSmart. The apps like the Contour Next One might be fine for adults, but not for children. My son is Type 1, and five different adults regularly help oversee his care. The UltraSmart makes it easy for everyone to know what insulin he had when. You can keep using the UltraSmart. Just reset the date to a year with the same number of days. We chose 2010. When you look at the logbook, just remember that you have to scroll all the way back to find the current entries.

Are you using CGM? I know many parents of kids with T1D like the Sugarmate app, and many options for logging. I don’t use it, but others here may have more comments.

2019 review, newer features may exist.

“Sugarmate also has the capacity to track food, exercise or insulin with both photo-taking and voice dictation.”

I’ve been using a regular meter for 30 years now. Haven’t tried CGM. (But I did hear a success story about it: a young adult never checked her sugar, ate large meals without taking any insulin, and was careful never to go near an ophthalmologist for a retina scan, and when she got switched to CGM, she now has her sugar levels forced upon her and when her sugar goes too high, she takes insulin and when it gets low, eats something. But I do that by using 6 or 8 tests a day.)

My problem is that I have more than 500 entries, and it takes forever to find when and how much insulin I took my previous injection (I can never remember unless it’s written somewhere, and nothing I’ve found is as easy as the Smart Lifescan meters. They had a Smart version of the One Touch, the One Touch II, and the One Touch Ultra, but not any of the later meters. I got a 2nd One Touch Ultra Smart and started in 2001 (I didn’t care about the days of the week), but the One Touch SAYS you can choose between mg/dl and mmol/L, but you cannot. My old meter is mg/dl, and if I set it to mmol/L, it remains mg/dl. My new meter was for Canada, so it came set for mmol/L. I can use the menu to set it to mg/dl as many times as I like, but it remains mmol/l, and I find it annoying to have to multiply by 18.

It’s easy to find these ultra smart meters on eBay, so no reason to use one programmed in the wrong units.

I too used the ultra smart from 2001 until I finally switched to the contour next with Bluetooth when I started using a cgm two years ago. The xdrip app records all the insulin etc. inputs that the ultra smart does, and does all the graphing and summary reporting as well. I really liked the ultra smart, but like xdrip and G6 even more.

Lifescan says they might re-introduce the Smart meter if enough of us call them. My book says the numbers were: US 1-800-663-552 CA 1-800-227-8862

Those of us who loved the Smart meters, please call and ask them to start making them again!