Sales Taxes and Diabetes Supplies

I was reading this post on Bernard’s blog:
“I recently realized that I’m paying sales tax to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for each box of Dexcom supplies that I purchase. The sales tax is not reimbursable, so if I order 10 boxes a year for a total of $2,400 I will support our glorious Commonwealth to the tune of $120.”

I wondered about the rest of you and how is your experience with diabetes supplies and taxes.

Do you think something should be done about this?

I’m especially interested in whether your state taxes you on non-prescription diabetes items.

In Massachusetts there’s a 5% sales tax on things like blood glucose test strips and Dexcom sensors. If I have a prescription for either of these items, then there’s no sales tax.

I’m curious about other states and how they handle these.

And I’ve started talking with my state senator and representative about this item. If you live in Massachusetts maybe you’d like to let me know if you’d want to get involved in changing this.

I have never paid attention to this until now. I know I don’t pay any on prescriptions. I just checked my Animas and my MiniMed bills, and neither show sales tax. I haven’t bought lancets in awhile, but next time I do I will pay attention to my receipt. Doesn’t seem right that there’s a tax on strips for sure.

In Indiana as long as you have a RX you dont have to pay tax .

I am a MA resident with Medicare HMO Blue health insurance. The insurance paid for my Animas 2020 pump plus it covers the supplies (Insets, and Cartridges) and my Apidra Insulin because it is used in the pump. Medicare also covers the OneTouch Test Strips and BD Lancets for 10 tests/day. There are no co-pays and I don’t pay any sales tax to the Commonwealth of MA.

Florian