Sensor site on the arm?

I know there have been older posts about this topic, but I couldn’t dig anything up. I typically wear my sensor on my abdomen, but I’m going to be traveling to a beach soon and would like the option of putting it on my arm…a little less noticeable I think. So, I was curious as to how people get the sensor on their arm. Can you actually do this yourself or do you need someone else to put it on for you? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks-

I tried the arm and the sensor failed within 6 hours... They don't support any other areas... I know some people do wear on the arm, but they must not have muscles like me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaN_iPP-wq8 Melissa this is a link to a youtube video of arm sensor placement. I have worn a sensor on my arm many times and for me it is the most comfortable and out of the way place to put it. I currently am on day 13 of a sensor on my arm that my husband helped me place, but I have done it myself with the help of the wall. While Dexcom doesn't support putting a sensor on your arm, there are multiple people here who only place it there and there are others like myself who move it around. The 2 times I have had placed a sensor horizontally on my abdomen were the first one which lasted 12 days and one about a month ago that failed after 5 days so Dexcom replaced it. As in anything else related to D, YDMV, but for me the arm works great.

LOL! I know about trying to look something up! I've seen conversations that I would love to return to but can't find. I wish there was a nice table of contents you could choose from - it would be so much easier for everyone. I love it on my arm but I cannot do it myself. I know many on here who can however. Maybe they could help....Good luck - you'll love it!

Hey Laura, there are usually keywords for every conversation here. Some are a bit more difficult to tease out, but if you go to "all discussion" and put in even a small amount of info in the search bar - like "dexcom sensor placement" usually most of the related discussions come up.

Also if you have ever replied to a discussion, your reply to it will show up on your home page in order of submission.

I wear it on my arm and my boyfriend helps me place it. I’ve never tried to do it by myself, tho all I really need him to do is pinch while I do everything else. I’ve lost one sensor to immediate bleeding and one came off a few days early because we were moving and I kept knocking it into things (I’m not super specially aware of myself sometimes :p) but otherwise I love having it on my arm. I do find, however, that showering with the sensor on my arm wears at the tape a bit faster than it did on my abdomen, but I’ve never had an issue keeping it on for at least 7 days (except for the moving one) so I consider it a win! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the feedback. Does everyone do it so the sensor is pointing downward like in the video, rather then horizontal?

Yes I put mine vertically on my arm. I am not sure what everyone else does, but for me that is the way it is most comfortable.

I’ve only ever put it vertically on my arm. I think if I tried it horizontally it would get it the way more…

I've been using Dexcom for 3 years. First year only used my stomach, but now use only my arms and thighs. I get better readings, and it's more comfortable for me.

My last G4 on my arm lasted 3 weeks, and it was still working, but not as accurate so I changed it.

When going to the beach / swimming in lakes/ocean, I have heard some people say they would wrap some type of band around the arm, to prevent losing the transmitter in the water.

This site is on tudiabetes, showing how to place a sensor on the arm.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/dexcomusers/forum/topics/quick-dex-insertion-vid

I've never worn the sensor on my abdomen. I use my arms and thighs. Thighs are my favorite. (I'm on week 3 with the current one in my thigh.) I insert vertically. I can do it myself if I have to but usually I have my husband do it.

Where on your thigh do you put it? It seems like I have more fat up near where my leg connects to my torso, but looking at site placements for omnipod, they claim there's fat lower in the leg.

How do you determine where to put it on your thigh? How deep does it go?? I would love to use it someplace other than my abdomen.

Attached is a pic that shows a cgm placement idea for the thigh.

Mine on the inner part of my upper thigh, further toward the inside than the pic. If I put my hand into the pocket of my jeans the tip of my middle finger is about how far down the leg it's inserted. When inserting I squeeze the thigh so the needle doesn't hit anything.

For those of you that keep the sensor on longer then the 7 days, do you stop the sensor and restart it or let it expire on its own then restart it?

I stop it and restart it usually within a couple of hours of its' expiration time. I just try to do it when it is convenient for me since you have to wait 2 hours to recalibrate it.

I do what Clare does. I don't let it expire on its own. Stop sensor. Start Sensor.

I wear it on my arm all the time - vertically. Easy to insert looking in a mirror. Upper arm area - it is much more comfortable than on my stomach. and, it seems to stay attached better.

I was wearing it on my chest and belly in the beginning on the first 6 sensors I tried it once on my arm and haven't gone back to my chest or my belly since.
I usually get almost 2 weeks until the adhesive has peeled away and it needs replacement.
I wear it vertical and on the outside of my bicep.