So im diabetic and i smoke a good amout of ganja

YA I KNOW WHAT POT IS… THANKS TIPS!

I’m not sure if this is a joke, fact, or myth…but they say the reason prop 19 didn’t win is because the pot smokers were either too stoned to go vote or they were too paranoid.

Very little info. out there on this, maybe that’s on purpose, lol! But yeah, I agree with SF Pete, doesn’t do the same bad stuff that alcohol does, if you have to pick a poison… :o

So no one here has a prescription?

It will probably be legal for recreational use soon. When that happens we will learn a lot more about the good and the bad of it since nobody will be hiding from the law. I wouldn’t smoke it but at the same time I think it is crazy putting people in jail over it while bars and clubs serve alcohol.

Ok, back to the subject of diabetes…

Myth. The legislation was badly written. Late in the campaign there was a bit of push back from the folks in the know. My polling station was packed. :slight_smile:

So it has the same effect of alcohol. Low blood sugar. With alcohol, I hear the lows come later, when you are asleep and the liver has to metabolize the alcohol. What is the blood sugar lowering effect of marijuana? Is the effect immediate? How long does it last? Is the effect smooth or does marijuana cause hypoglycemia? Does it cause persistent hypoglycemia over many hours? This is important to know. If you use marijuana and you have Type 1, you need to be able to keep yourself safe. Anyone willing to share this info., I’m sure there are those who can put the information to good use. No judgment, as I believe alcohol and marijuana use are equally problematic.

Type 1 with medical prescription right here

I can guarantee everybody here that Smoking Marijuana has no effect like alcohol does on blood sugar. I’m also surprised to see anybody claim it can lower the blood sugar, because I do not see any differences in it lowering my blood sugar. Never once have I seen a severe hypo that is linked to getting stoned, never. But it does have an effect on glucose detection (Read 3rd last paragraph)

My Personal experiences so far through life.

Alcohol will stall my liver and cause dangerous hypoglycemic conditions (been there done that)

Out of smoking the stuff for 10+ years, never once have I seen a hypo condition where I would have any reason to believe it was caused by THC

Alcohol has the potential to make people aggressive and violent

Weed has no history of such things, somebody please bring any evidence forward that would claim otherwise. Chances are that evidence does not exist because simply, it does not happen.

Alcohol lasts far far longer and can lead to bad hangovers, which further pushes dangerous hypoglycemic risks

As for weed, unless if you ate a ■■■■ ton of pot brownies, you can get totally blazed and you will be feeling fully normal again in approximately 3-5 hours. Try doing that after a ton of drinking.

Alcohol can kill you, plain and simple

Weed can not kill you, there has yet to be a recorded death directly linked to active THC.

There is only one thing that I can bring up as far as regarding people saying it makes them low. Have you actually tested and found that you really are low? or do you just feel low? Because with me, After I smoke a bowl or two, I can get a false hypo feeling some of the time from the increased heart rate, but my BG never drops from it. I have confirmed this with my meter and it just does not show any BG drops. But what it will make you want to do is eat! So have that syringe/pump ready to dose just like any other time you eat carbs.

I have my medical card for migraine headaches which I did get badly, however THC is a direct fix to the problem. Unlike two different prescriptions Kaiser tried on me only to have bad side effects strike. But I did find that if I smoked about 2 or 3 times a week, the migraines became a phantom and were no where to be seen. I acquired my card back in 2007 and renewed since then. I got the card after I concluded with my own personal testing results of the migraines cured from THC, I presented this data to a Medical cannabis doctor and was easily approved for the license, but then again getting approved for most people is a piece of cake these days.

Bottom line, if you want to choose a drug/poison. This is the one to choose, it is utterly harmless compared to not only alcohol, but everything else too that lurks out there in the world.

i think, for me, its the actual ‘smoking’ that bothers me. its so high school. i KNOW its a good medicine. i just wish people didn’t look like burnouts using it.

a tincture to put in tea? that would be more my speed. or maybe steep the leaves with some peppermint? lol

i think i have a culture block on this one.

You know what? Whatever you like. If you feel like its good for you in whatever way it is, power to you. No one has to smoke if they don’t want to. I don’t very often, its a very infrequent past-time for me, but it doesn’t screw me up like alcohol, and doesn’t negatively impact my blood sugars, so I can’t say too much bad about it in terms of diabetes.

Life in general, of course, is a matter of how you chose to live it. Just take the path that suits you. :slight_smile:

Best drug ever when its good stuff. I did my fair share of it over the years and still smoke on occasion if I can get hold of it.

Hmmm I remember that grass gives you the munchies…not good when you’re not low, and then, it might be hard to gauge what and how much to eat when you’re stoned. Also…if you have other health issues such as asthma, or if you’re taking certain meds.

lol

Dude…so…so high…

I am a medical marijuana patient here in wa. I use it for gastroparesis, it helps with nausea and vomiting and feelings of bloatedness, just masks symptoms doesn’t really fix what is wrong, just makes me feel better, not consistently tho I can still be puking my guts out for days and it won’t make it stop. neither does anything from the medical/industrial complex. you sound stoned to me dude. peace

Ok here is my question to you and I am not judging just wondering from where i have been in the past I have had type one for 34 years and when I was younger ran around with sugars as high as 8 and 900 and still functioned while doing this I often bragged to my friends about how I really wasn’t diabetic while that has always been a real wish for me it has taken a lot of years to look back and say what was going on was I just wanting attention for something other then diabetes. So are you asking this question because you are really weighing the aspect of smoking ganja with diabetes or do you just want everyone to know how cool you are? Now please don’t get mad at me I DO NOT mean this badly I am wanting you to step back and ask yourself this question and really think about it I don’t need a reply but all those years of running around with high sugars has done me no favors, I didn’t have places to talk to people about how I was feeling I never met another diabetic until i was 38 and then they lived no where near me, You have a lot of avenues at your disposal if you are really wondering about this then stop the ganja for 6 months keep track of your blood sugars and then compare them honestly to you blood sugars while you smoked. I hope this helps honey and I pray you take it in the spirit it was written in, in love and understanding and hopefully helping much love April

I completely agree, and am surprised more people do not understand this point of view on this site. Them again I am canadian, and weed is pretty much second nature here, where as in other parts of the world it is much more taboo, and is considered a “hard” drug. I always find it strange that people in other parts of the world get a license, which is, I am assumeing to avoid being charged, because here in canada its pretty much a slap on the wrist. I was shocked to find out that in some states in america the possesion charge for weed was the same as coke!!

I get what you are saying, I used to have the same issue, now I just smoke in the privacy of my own home. It makes me less self-conscious.

53 years diabetic, 42 years high, no more problems in my life than the guy/gal sitting next to me 6-7 a1c’s, I like it all

Those were some liberal times, what were you like 13 years old? On the other hand, don’t answer that.

I never did any drugs despite alcohol, but now I’m planning a trip to Amsterdam and I’m thinking of trying a cookie or brownie (I can’t smoke - I’d just start coughing). And I’m SOOO glad to find this post!! . Seriously. Where else would I get this info, if not here? So, no matter why (@pooh3465) you post, guys, I’m glad you do.

Btw, any more I have to look out for with baked goods? I just read that the effects are delayed, but am I right supposing there’s no other difference, also diabetes-wise? Would you bolus normaly?