Steroids, gout meds and the feet of my dear friend

I am fortunate to have a wonderful friend who happens to have t-2 diabetes who is currently battling a terrible necrotizing infection between the toes and the tops of both of her feet. She is in such pain from the open ulcers that she is on both Lyrica and several Oxycodone pills just so she can get a few hours of sleep a day…the condition was brought on by the addition of Prednisone to control another illness, which significantly raised her BG’s without concern by her doctor for the side effects of her gout medication - Allipirininol (hope I spelled that correctly). which is apparently known to be implicated in the formation of foot ulcers in diabetics. She was prescribed the gout med in the first place because it was cheaper than a traditional med. for gout. I am terribly afraid she will loose at least part of her feet to these ulcers as the wound care center won’t even debride the ulcers (they are about 3 inches square now and full of liquefied tissues) and the infections are resisting the second course of antibiotics. Please keep her in your prayers.

4 Likes

Allopurinol is the “traditional” medication which is still used to treat gout.

1 Like

Will definitely pray for her! :innocent:

1 Like

While it may be slightly premature until the underlying medical issue is corrected, I suggest a referral to a wound center. The two wound centers where I have been a client are wonderful at healing open sores.

1 Like