Strange Problem

I've got something odd that I have been dealing with for about 10 years. Essentially, I go through these periods when some nights whaen I try to fall asleep, as I begin to fall asleep, one of my feet kicks me back awake. This can literally happen 100-200 times per night, and it can take 5-6 hours to finally fall asleep. I'll go though a period of this happening 3-4 nights a week for a few weeks, then it won;t happen for a couple of months. Most nights it only takes about an hour to fall asleep, the 5-6 hour thing is the extreme.

I have mentioned this to many doctors, and they either pass it off as restless leg syndrome, or they aren't sure. A sleep doctor I went to said some people have issues with what are called "sleep starts". Basically in stage 2 of the sleep cycle, between being awake and being asleep, your body is trying to transition to sleep, and this is where the "jerks" happen.

Anyways, I wasn't sure if anyone out there has experience with this, or if it may be D related. My BGs are in range, most nights, so I don't think it has to do with my sugars being high or low.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

I don't have experience with it, but I'm wondering why your doctor "passes it off as restless leg syndrome" without trying you on a medication like Requip that is prescribed for that problem?

Hi Zoe, thanks for the response.

My doctor did want to put me on Requip, but I did not want to take it. When I read about Requip, it freaked me out, because it said "can make symptoms worse". And, I don't think this is restless leg, mainly because it doesn't happen on a regular basis, and it doesn't happen while I'm awake.

This sounds like "Periodic limb movement disorder"

It appears that it can be related to diabetes: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/periodic-limb-movement-disorder

Possibly related but not matching your symptoms is "Restless leg".

I myself will sometimes have various twitches etc. while falling asleep. Sometimes my legs but usually my arms. Occasionally I can trace these to very low bg's but usually not. Sometimes part of the "falling dream".

I have leg twitches occasionally when I try to fall asleep. I always assumed it's restless leg syndrom as well. Normally I fall right back to sleep, as it's just annoying. It kept me up most of a week two weeks ago (and BS was in range majority of the time that week). No idea what it is really though. Not bad enough yet to go to the dr. about it, but I was tempted to during that week.
I think it had a lot to do with stress, as that week was very stressful for me.

I get "something" with my legs and movement - not sure how to characterize it, really. All I can tell you is that if I take magnesium and calcium with a big glass of water a little while before bed seems to "calm down" my legs.

I really think it is RLS. Mine is infrequent--will happen for a couple of days and then not again for months. I have never had it when awake--except on restless awake/asleep overseas flights...

I have found that a walk around and a couple of motrin solve the problem and help me sleep better. Also, if you trap the limb under your body, it helps.

Thanks Cheri, I forgot about that, but I used to take a cal/mag supplement, and I was never sure if it worked because of the infrequency. I'm going to grab some and give it another try.

Intersting, I'll give that a try as well. Thanks!

I have type 1 diabetes. I have restless leg syndrome which sounds like the same thing you are experiencing. It starts about 9:00 - 10:00PM. To counteract RLS my doctor prescribed one mg of ropinirole at 8:00 PM. It really has made a big difference in my ability to go to sleep.

I should also mention that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6-7 years ago and use a CPAP. The morning after the first night I used the CPAP, I never had a more restful nights sleep. The sleep test I took showed that I was waking up 37 times every hour to gasp for breath. You might ask you doc about getting a sleep test. People who snore may have sleep apnea. I have read that folks that have diabetes are much more likely to have sleep apnea. Hope this helps.