Study Opportunity: T1 REDEEM (Reducing Distress and Enhancing Effective Management)

Living with type 1 diabetes (T1D) can be tough. Many people go through times when they experience considerable distress about the day-to-day demands and frustrations of T1D, sometimes people find it really hard to fit diabetes into their lives. And this distress can affect diabetes management and glycemic control. To address this problem, the BDI is partnering with the Behavioral Diabetes Research Group at the University of California at San Francisco in an NIH-supported project to find better ways to reduce distress and enhance management for adults with type 1 diabetes. The project is called T1 REDEEM (Reducing Distress and Enhancing Effective Management).

The program consists of two, different one-day workshops, each with follow-up web-based meetings and phone calls. One program, called KnowIt, provides participants with new advances in T1D education and behavioral management to reduce distress and improve self-care.The other program, called OnTrack, addresses the personal stresses and strains of having T1D, which can then lead to more successful T1D management. We will be comparing KnowIt and OnTrack to learn which is more effective for which kinds of adults with T1D.

Participants will:
  • Participants will be asked to complete online surveys before the program and again at 3 and 9 months.
  • HbA1C, lipids, blood pressure, and BMI will also be collected.
If you are interested in participating in this study please call (855) 850-3599 or contact Vicky Bowyer bowyerv@fcm.ucsf.edu..

Where are the one day workshops held?

Hi Emily - How do we register our interest in this study? Should we contact BDI? Their website doesn't appear to contain any info on this study. Should we send an email to BDI at the address listed above? What is the specific next step interested individuals could take? Thanks.

Okay. I called BDI and with some kind help I was told how to find the info on the study. It's a bit glitchy on their home page. Look under the "What's New" heading on the left hand side. A series of news items rotate through. Wait for the one about the study and then click on the link. To make things easier for anyone interested, here's the direct link.

I discovered that I am not eligible to participate since my A1c is less than 7.5%. Study locations are San Francisco, Sacramento, and Los Angeles.

With online resources such as Skype, location should not matter.

And "not eligible to participate since my A1c is less than 7.5" Are you kidding me? Keeping an A1C below that it stressful as H E double hockey sticks!! Keeping it at 7.5 would be a very nice, fun day in the park.

If I was at 7.5 I would be a blithering idiot. 7.5 is recently good for older T2 Ds.

Is this a real study and what is the purpose?

I am so feeling this post. Keeping my a1c at 6.5 is like having 2 extra full-time jobs on top of my regular job.