Supplies to carry with you at all times and advice about testing and injecting on the go

I've learned that my diabetic supplies and necessities include glucometer and extra test strips, insulin pen and extra needles (how many), emergency candy/snacks, alcohol wipes. Am I forgetting something? I'm still learning.

It's not always easy to test when I'm on the go. The other day at the supermarket, I wasn't feeling well and could not easily find a flat clean surface to put my glucometer. What has been your experience? What happens when you are walking from one place to another and are in between destinations?

Recently, I was eating out and since I was washing my hands anyway in the restroom, and needed to check my pre meal BG....except this was one of those restaurants where they wanted ambience and the lights were dim everywhere (the main dining room, the restrooms), I was certain that I would not be able to properly see 1.5 on my syringe. I asked the hostess if there were any other place with better lighting that I could use to inject my insulin. The whole restaurant was rather dim. Luckily, she did find a hidden restroom with bright lights, but ah...nowhere to put the glucometer, nor the pen/syringe...etc. I settled for cleaning the sink and lining it with a paper towel. It's not like the youtube videos where the tutorial instructs you to 1. wash your hands 2. have all your supplies on a clean table/area.

I find a pocket size packet of moist towelettes (not sure what you call them where you live) to be a very handy addition to my handbag. You can use them to clean more than just hands.

You might want to add a small LED penlight to your kit. It helps to see what your doing in low light situations. Does your meter have a light? If not does you cell phone?

I use a belt pouch to carry my stuff and have gotten good at balancing things on the top as I test. My meter, strips and poker all fit in a small zip open case so I use that as a table sometimes too.

I carry a tiny true2go meter and mini lancer in my pocket… Generally that’s it. I dont use alchohol swabs. If I’m going to be eating out of course I’d have pen needles and insulin pen and some candy or something also… I have a rule though to keep it limited to one handful/pocketful of stuff. The true2go meter snaps right on top of the vial so its a one hand operation so I can pretty easily test while walking, driving, etc

I second the True-2-Go -- very compact (the meter clamps on to and become the lid of the test strip bottle), and as far as my own anecdotal use can tell, as accurate as my Freestyle meter.

As for pens/needles, when I was doing MDI I broke the cardinal rule of leaving a needle on the pen capped with the inner skinny cover then the pen cap over that, and used the need more than once if necessary. When at home, work, or anywhere that was a "base" sort of location, I have access to plenty of supplies (including needles) and use a fresh one each injection. Out "in the wild" for a few hours, afternoon, or full day, I'd simple reuse one needle on the pen for as many injections as I needed while away from "base".

Others may chime in and detail all the risks of doing this. I used to be much more risk adverse and completely OCD about this stuff early on in my insulin life. Hanging around TuD encouraged some bad habits, but I don't think they're really anything to worry about.

The only problem I ever found with reusing a needle during the day (like while at the beach or something) is that it starts to get duller after 3-4 injections, and hurts a little on insertion where it didn't on it's first plunge in.

These days with a pump and CGM, I don't carry that stuff around all the time any more.

Testing on the go will get easier. I like cross-body bags for ease of carrying supplies and testing. For some reason, I frequently go low when grocery shopping. My purse sitting in the front seat of the shopping cart makes a perfect spot to balance my meter - I stand where I am and test right there. I've tested in my lap in the car while traffic is stopped, on a bench while walking, anywhere I can find a spot to balance.

I'm one of those who used to be quite fussy about alcohol wipes and such, but not so much now. I equate this to someone having their first child and they go to great lengths to sterilize... then the second child comes along and a good swipe at cleanliness is good enough. I actually avoid testing in bathrooms though for lack of a good place to test and some of them are a bit nasty.

Unless my hands are really dirty, I don't clean or use alcohol on my hands prior to testing. I also don't need a flat surface. Over the years I've learned to test even while standing up - I just do it without taking the lancing device or test strip vial out of the case (part of the reason I'm picky about cases).

i pretty much agree, i can test anywhere anytime, i just hold the case in one hand and prick the other hand, you get better with times. not sure if the akku check mobile is available in the US, but that is awesome to test on the go, since it doesnt have teststrips and everything is in one piece.
i can also give myself shots anywhere anytime, practice makes progress i think…
good luck!!

What do you consider to be the advantages of the pump over MDI? and the CGM? I've read some of the postings and noticed that site infection seems to be one consideration. I am considering both a CGM and a pump; in that order, first a CGM to see how helpful the data/trend would be, then possibly a pump because I use such low doses (1/2 unit, 1 1/2....it would be unusual if I were to use 3 units)

At the dawn of my diabetic life I organized a special bag to keep all the stuff together that I could take with me every time I was leaving the house without being afraid to forget something. Later, I gravitated towards simpler life and use the bag only for overnight trips now.

I stopped using alcohol wipes and I reuse the same needle over the day. Leaving the house I always take a glucometer and a tube with glucose tablets. Sometimes I take insulin pen, sometimes I leave it at home. I have two extra tubes of glucose and small scales in my car. Another scales are in diabetic bag, they are handy when eating out.

I choose less crowded isle when in a store and in need to test. Every shelf or pallet is a good surface to use. While eating out it is best to test right at the table. It was awkward at first (and still is, frankly :)), but it is many-many times more comfortable than restroom. There is a discussion somewhere about testing in public, check it out. By the way, most (if not all) restrooms have a baby changing station, we can use it too.

Overall, I try to keep diabetes care within some reasonable boundaries and not to let it interfere with the rest of my life too much.

I test and inject (when on MDI) whenever and wherever I need to. In the beginning I was self-conscious, but quickly realized that 99% of people don't notice even when I do it right in front of them. Also, I was not going to be banished to some filthy public restroom to manage my diabetes. I use a freestyle freedom light meter or an Omnipod PDM when I'm pumping, pens when not. I don't use wipes and change my lancet needles every 30-60 days. I find that I can test within seconds in practically any environment: sitting down, standing up, waiting line, in my car waiting for a light to change, etc. If the light is dim, I'll try to squeeze an extra large drop out of my finger and move the entire area around on the strip until I hear the confirming beep from my meter.

I agree with Jen! anywhere! anytime! on the go or in the dark...like a movie theater! you become a pro. I have my spouse trained to help me while i'm driving! Also, I don't use alcohol swabs any more. I use cut up napkin squares. I prick then wipe then test. my thinking is...the wiping away of the first drop is sorta like cleaning! In addition, when I used syringes I found that preloading them before going out made things a lot easier. Try preloading a few and recapping them for a night out. you can discretely inject yourself at the table. good luck!

I have a smaller meter to carry around and a larger one at home. I take both of these to my Endo for downloads to their software to see my trends. I always use alcohol wipes. I have had cellulitis from an incorrect flu vaccine administration and I never want that mess again! When I am working in front of customers, I carry the best thing I know that can be discreet to raise glucose- Skittles. They do not melt and small enough to pop in my mouth without being obvious. My large meter has a backlight but my small one does not but that only helps to read the meter in dim light, not the entire process of pricking your finger and inserting the strip into the meter.

Thanks for all the positive encouragements. How long did it take for you to get "comfortable" with "everything" testing, injecting, carb counting? Presently, I've identified fruits that are less problematic: all the berries, grapefruit. Even 1/2 of a small peach and 1/2 of a small pear sent my Dex Com over 200 (the arrow was straight up, not the angled rising). I did not freak out, but the 2 hour fingerstick measured 167. I'd prefer to be closer to 140.

What has been the experience with small amounts of beans? less than 1/3 cup?

I carry my 2 insulin pens in a frio, I'm not using the cooling gel anymore because it takes too long and it adds to the weight of what I need to bring with me, candy, glucose tabs and gel, I have glucose drinks and candy/tabs in my car also. A glucagon injection, 2 ibg star meters, extra test strips, my phone of course where all my bg records are along with insulin intake and food intake records etc., a back up meter: I use the walmart relion meter, one in my purse, one in my car, 1-2 syringes, some pen needles, lancets( I change mine once per day usually now), some alcohol wipes just to clean things if I drop something, such as my meter, unscented baby wipes(in my car), to clean my hands- usually I wash my hands with soap and water before testing if possible, sometimes I lick my finger before and after testing), tissues and a little plastic garbage-I don't carry that now, I just throw tests strips away if possible or wrap everything in tissue and keep it in my purse or my pocket until I get home.

I test everywhere- I use the tops of shopping carts and rest things on my purse frequently, I sit in my car and use my lap or whatever surface is available, restaurant tables and so on. I don't test in public restrooms because there are too many germs etc.

I just started using my new dexcom today so I will have to carry the receiver now too, it's much smaller now which is nice. I almost bought a new quilted bag with tons of pockets to carry things because my current Baggalini has pockets which are hard to get your hands into but I decided to wait- I may make my own similar bag with a padded shoulder strap. I really like to have quick easy access to all of my supplies so I don't like things with zippers or hard to open enclosed areas.

Movie theaters are the hardest for me because it's dark- my phone light usually helps- a pen light would be good for that or for a restaurant.

If I were you I would ask your doctor to rx glucagon injection kits for you in case of emergency low bg, one for home, one to carry with you and maybe one for work if you plan to tell people at work.

Brand new on the site and to the whole diabetes world, but have been dealing with the symptoms for over 4 years now.

I'm hypo-unaware and what my hubby does not let me leave the house without include a bottle of water, glucose tablets, a Boost glucose control drink, snack sticks of jerky, glucose test kit (finger stick), CGM receiver and charger (fortunately, my phone charger works!!!), phone, and a calm head. Seriously. He will not let me walk out the door if I appear stressed.

I would highly suggest a CGM! It has helped me find my sanity!!!

I always carry my meter (omnipod pdm), test strips, lancet, insulin and glucose tabs in the smallest makeup zipper bag I could find. It easily fits in any purse and makes it easy to transfer it from one bag to another. I also have gotten very good at testing anywhere and when on the go I just drop my used test strips in this makeup bag and they stay zipped in there until I get home and can empty them out. I have had type 1 for 5 years now and it definitely becomes second nature over time.

I carry nothing but my meter and my Glucagon kit in lap top bag unless I'm going to be more than a hr. from my house, I do keep a spare meter in my car along with a 100 count bag of Dex4....but that's it...my office is 6 min from my house, I keep another 100 count bag of Dex4 there...

Please clarify "100 count bag of Dex4 there." Thanks.