Sweet & Smoky Omelettes w/ Smoked Kielbasa

When I was working down in the Keys, I got several opportunities to watch the hotel chef make omelettes for their breakfast buffet. I’d forgotten that until mom asked how I made such pretty omelettes this morning. The chef’s technique kept flashing through my mind, both today and when I was in Phoenix making an omelette for dinner. (That one was pretty, too. I was very proud.)

6 eggs
smoked kielbasa, pre-cooked & diced
1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (this time, mozzarella & cheddar)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
kosher salt
black pepper

I sautéed the garlic in a little olive oil over med-high heat until it started to brown. Added the sliced onion and continued to sauté. Once the onions softened a bit, I added the salt, thyme, & cumin. We use Indian cumin, so it’s smoky with a slightly fruity flavor. After about another minute, I added the diced kielbasa. (The kielbasa links had already been halved & seared on both sides. I had two segments left from Friday.) I kept the whole thing going for about two minutes more, until the onions browned nicely and the kielbasa flavor mingled with everything else. Removed it all from the pan & set aside.

While the onions were cooking, I whisked the eggs quite thoroughly. More whisking means lighter and smoother omelettes (or scrambled eggs.) Nothing special in the eggs themselves. I added a pat of butter to the pan, let it melt and slightly brown. Brought the pan down to medium heat. Poured in half the eggs, let it solidify a little, and then started tilting the pan to distribute the uncooked eggs in the middle and make a neat, round omelette.

Once the egg was mostly cooked and evenly distributed, I added the cheese, green onions, and kielbasa & onion mixture on one half. Shake the pan to make sure it’s loose, and then I folded the omelette over. Voila! Repeat for omelette #2. Sprinkle on a few more green onions as garnish, and grind some fresh black pepper over the top.