T1D and Multiple Sclerosis

I have just recently been diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS along with my T1D. There seems to be a VERY small number of T1D’s with MS. I’m desperately trying to find some people that I can talk to, that can ‘relate’ to what I’m experiencing. Dealing with both diseases is a constant struggle and never ending cycle. Please share how you have dealt with these diseases together. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

I don’t have MS yet. My Dr wants to test me for it. When I originally went in with my symptoms, he wanted me to get an MRI and see a neurologist specializing in MS, though he was hoping to find me a local-ish neuro who had experience with MS and T1D. Then I switched jobs and didn’t have health insurance for 3 months. This week, I’m going to get back on it. My symptoms are weird. My right thigh was numb for several weeks last year, I’m noticeably weaker on my right side (despite being right handed), I have blind spots in my right eye that i’ve been told are not explainable by my NPDR, I’m tired-kind of- all the time (I can work my 12 hour shifts without too much problem, but I’m just generally fatigued). I have tremors on occasion in both hands, but more pronounced in my right hand.I also have a history of Epstein-Barr (Sp?). All labs have come back normal, I don’t have any vitamin deficiencies, or anything crazy going on in that sense.

I really wasn’t much help, but I’m always hear to listen. Feel free to private message me. I know that things can be scary and frustrating, and just horrible.

ETA: My dad’s HR guy at work’s wife has MS and is still able to work, she’s in her early 60’s. I thought that might shed a tiny bit of hope or comfort for you.

I’m so sorry about your ms diagnosis. It is very hard to diagnose ms so you might want to get a second opinion and make sure you have it. Advanced Lyme’s disease can cause similar symptoms and it is also very hard to diagnose.

I think the remitting kind is the best one to have because you can live a long time without serious effects with it. I met someone who has ms 2 years ago, she has been in remission for a long time and had even stopped medication.

Here’s a good website: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/

How are you doing? This conversation is old…but I hope to start it again. I have T1 and MS. It is strange to have both, both require meds, have complications, and having both is just downright depressing at times My MS has been in remission for 5 years. I’ve been dx with T1 for 23yrs.
Hope you are well, and ping if you are still interested in talking!

I have diabetes AND Multiple Sclerosis…

My D-Dragon is a bit weird, I have been Dx’d with every type except gestational (Ha Ha, a guy). For decades they blamed my neurological issue on my diabetes. I tried telling them ‘something ELSE’ was wrong. That bought me a trip to le SHRINKS.

I blame foreign/sea duty Navy immunizations for my diabetes (pancreatitis) and MS. Balancing multiple issues is FUN (not).

Doctors are not interested in testing me, saying it would NOT change my treatment, on MDI and treated as type-1, instead of 1b or 3c?