Tandem pump users

When delivering a bolus, if the tubing fets caught on something and yanks/pulls real quick, will that damage/affect tubing or delivery?

I donā€™t have direct Tandem experience so my comments relate more to pump durability in general. I suppose anything is possible when it comes to the everyday abuse our pumps must endure. Iā€™ve found, for the most part, the the infusion sets are pretty tough.

Unless the cannula is dislodged, Iā€™ve seldom observed delivery disruptions, even with some pretty significant yanks on the infusion set. Itā€™s good practice to carefully inspect your pump, infusion set, and site to see if anything is amiss. Using a flashlight can help you see better and using your nose to sniff for the smell of insulin can be clue that something is wrong.

If I ever have reason to doubt the integrity of the insulin delivery, I will often err on the side of a pre-emptive site/set swap-out. Watching your blood glucose levels a little more closely following stressing the set/site will also help you stay on top of things.

Overall, Iā€™ve been impressed with how much abuse an insulin pump and the related infusion set/site can take and still perform well.

3 Likes

Would agree with Terry here, if you are not seeing blood sugars heading up, you are probably ok. I find with a longer tube length (I love the 43 inch tube length which they of course have stopped makingšŸ™) gives me time to stop before I pull it out. And another great thing with metal, if you do pull it out, you can put it back in, which you canā€™t do with The Teflon ones.

1 Like

Unless I rip the entire thing out, I havenā€™t had any problems with mine. And I have caught door knobs, had the pump free fall with a sharp YANK on the tubing, etc.

1 Like

I havenā€™t lost one yet due to just tugging the tubing. Theyā€™re pretty sturdy. My biggest problem is with scraping them off in the doorway, because I have a habit of squeezing out the partially-opened patio door, rather than wrestling the heavy thing open enough to clear infusion sets. So long as itā€™s still attached and blood sugars arenā€™t going crazy, youā€™re fine

1 Like