Tandem X2 battery life

You just described my sex life

TMI
[filler text]

i havenā€™t really noticed as I try to charge every time I sit down. I have a cord next to my recliner, in the car and I have a portable charger I carry with me. So I charge it everyday whether Iā€™m watching tv, driving or showering. I have on,y used the portal charger once and that was on me for not charging for two nights in a row.
I do think having all the alarms turned on may help drain the battery sooner and not turning them off as soon as they happen may also drain the battery faster but I am just now programmed to charge daily.
I do love the pump and I do love the fact that Iā€™m not buying batteries all the time. I guess you need to think about what is a deal breaker for you. For some the battery charging might be a breaking point.

For medtronic pumps, at least the 5xx series, Home Depot and other stores have the Energizers in 24 packs. You could go 2 years with just one package (unless using the sensor). They arenā€™t expensive when purchased in large packs. Itā€™s a trivial expense.

Iā€™m on the fence with this one. If Tandem gave the user a choice between using a AA battery and a rechargeable battery, Iā€™d go with the AA every time. If you use an Energizer lithium in the Medtronic pumps, they last 3 months at least. A four pack of them is $8, spending $8 a year on pump batteries is the least of oneā€™s worries if theyā€™re diabetic.

2 Likes

When we had the Animas Ping, I used the Energizer Lithium (longest lasting I could find) in the Ping. The minor difference in cost was a non-factor for me.

The difference in how long that lasted compared to the regular Energizer batteries was huge.

I did like the AA but as we donā€™t have a choice it is what it is. The X2 with the Basal-IQ is so unbelievably great, I would put up with a huge amount of minor things I would prefer otherwise if it meant getting to still use the Basal-IQ.

2 Likes

No. the trainer gave bad information.

The Tandem X2 battery going from a full charge to empty should last 7 days when not integrated with the Dexcom and 5 days when integrated.

Regardless of anything else such as alarms or whatever.

If it does not last that long than absolutely call in to Tandem Technical Support.

I love the Tandem X2 but if it is not working properly than it is not working properly.

2 Likes

I completely agree. The Animus was designed to use a lithium battery, where as the Medtronic is not. The battery meter on the Medtronic pumps was not programmed to read the lithium battery drain. The meter would show the battery level at 100%, sometime after 3 months the alarm would go off that the battery was almost dead, and would die a few minutes afterwards. This never bothered me, I always kept a spare battery with me in my backpack. The Energizer max would last about 3-4 weeks, so yeah, the lithium lasted an extremely longer time. Iā€™m with you on the basal-iq, I wouldnā€™t want to live without now.

Right !!!

I forgot. On the Animas we were supposed to indicate after a battery change if it was akaline or lithium. Which the obvious purpose would be to make the battery meter more accurate for the proper type of battery.

:grinning:

1 Like

I got the Animus Ping a couple of days after it was released. I was going to get the 2020, I was advised to wait a few weeks for the ping to come to market. The ping was a great pump, I just wished the reservoir held 300 units instead of 200. Once the tubing was primed(23") the reservoir only had 178 units in it. At the time, my insulin needs were greater than they are now. Iā€™m so glad I didnā€™t choose an Animus a few years ago, before they announced that they were closing their doors. After my Medtronic 530, was out of warranty, I was considering another Animus.

I know this is an older thread but I wasnā€™t charging as much as I usually do. (Not watching a lot of tv this week) My Tandem IQ alarmed saying the charge was at 20%. So I sat down and had it to 100% in just about an hour. So anyone who has to charge everyday or it takes a long time to charge, that says to me something is wrong with the system and needs to be replaced. I know I am an outlier here but I do love not having to worry about buying/having batteries around or with me. Again, thatā€™s just me.

I just plug mine in while I shower. Iā€™m rarely below 90%. I agree not a big deal.

Honestly, I used to be methodical about charging my X2.
But, after the first year or so, I got really lazy. I charge it when I think about it, or maybe sitting at work and I upload my info, etc.
I just donā€™t think about it much anymore. I really donā€™t NEED to think about it. It lasts long enough that I am almost always going to plug it in for some reason anyways.

Do you guys who donā€™t mind recharging a pump also have electric vehicles? I just HATE, HATE having to recharge things. I already have a phone, receiver, and watch that need frequent recharging. I wish that I live long enough to see this insanity be replaced with new tech that isnā€™t yet conceived, that powers such devices for very long periods of timeā€“or just had replaceable batteries that lasted for a decent period of time. Did I mention that I HATE recharging stuff frequently? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The more your pump does, the faster the battery will drain.

I personally wish they put a larger battery in this, it is less convenient to charge every other day than what i did previously, with a AA battery every few weeks.

Iā€™ve had some issues for over 2 months and have called over and over. They also call me at all hours of the day and night. 3AM also. The 1st rep and supervisor said they were having issues with the Tconnect app and they sent me a refurbished pump. As soon as I charged it and began using it the issues continued. Battery drains from 100% to 20-30% within 4 hours. I have called back and reported the issues. They keep telling me I have to upload all data to them so they can look at it. The Tconnect app continuously uploads data when it is running but they arenā€™t getting the data in a timely manner. It has taken 6 weeks for them to get 16 days of data. They are telling me itā€™s because my Bluetooth isnā€™t connected properly. I keep telling them itā€™s their faulty app because Bluetooth does not upload dataā€¦ā€¦ It allows the pump and app to talk to each other. As of today, 10/21/22 they only have data up until 10/5. I told them my Dr. Uploaded it on the 6th but they donā€™t have that info either.
Iā€™m so frustrated with their lies. It is also overheating to the point where it is painful to pick the pump up to disconnect the charging cord. This is dangerous.
They have faulty equipment that is dangerous for a type 1 diabetic to use. Up u til 2-3 months ago the pump/software worked well.

I cannot see any relationship between tconnect data and battery life.They are just blowing smoke.

Exactly

It is a lithium battery. If it overheats it could explode Violently!, you need to get a new pump. ASAP, I cannot overstate how explosive lithium batteries are when overheated. Not trying to scare you. Tell tandem about the overheating.

My Tandem t-Slim X2 gets warm while charging but never uncomfortably hot. Heat is not good for insulin, so may be having other impacts on your insulin requirements, too.
Anyway, I plug it in every week or so. Mine is integrated with the Dexcom CGM. I am very happy with battery life so far (a bit over one year in).
If itā€™s is getting quite hot, thatā€™s probably due to an internal short or battery problem. That would also account for the dramatically reduced battery life. I think you need a new pump.