The Bayer Dream Fund

I'd like to encourage tudiabetes.com members to check out http://www.bayerdreamfund.com/

The Dream Fund is a contest sponsored by Bayer (they make the Contour and Breeze meters). Basically, they are looking for people with diabetes - type 1 or type 2 - who have an idea for a dream activity that demonstrates how diabetes, when managed well, doesn't get in the way of living life to its fullest.

The contest was inspired by John Dennis, a man with type 2 who approached Bayer for sponsorship to participate in an around-the-world-alone sailing race. The following year, the fund sponsored a woman with type 1 who got herself and 8 teens SCUBA certified, and went on a month long SCUBA and adventure camp. Last year's winner completed a 9500 mile bike ride that took 7 months and brought him through every single state in the lower 48. This year, a CDE with type 1 has put together a fundraising, support and education event for kids with diabetes. Wedged in between those dreams was my dream, to write and publish a book. It's the Dream Fund that paid for nearly 20 thousand free copies of "When You're a Parent with Diabetes" to be distributed nation-wide.

The dream activity should be something that inspires, educates, and (or) motivates people with diabetes. Though you may dream of visiting France with your family, the kind of dream they're looking for is either a physically challenging demonstration of what PWDs can do, or a project that motivates people with diabetes to take control. In order to apply, you must be a US citizen, over 18, and a person with diabetes.

Check it out. I'd love to see some amazing ideas come from this community!