The iLet insulin pump

I think we need a thread for this pump that recently has been approved to work with Dexcom G7:

Beginning Dec. 18, iLet users will have the option of using a Dexcom G7 CGM System.

It´s made by Beta Bionics and is meant to take the burden off diabetes management. All the pump needs is insulin, a sensor and that you put in your weight.

When you eat you tell the pump if you will eat a normal meal, less than normal or more than normal meal. And that´s it.

I´ve found two people - both doctors - who has tested the pump and they both find that it gives them almost the same results as micromanaging insulindelivery themselves. It´s Mike Natter from NY and Gaja Andzel.

Andzel has posted some examples on her instagram (bewellendocrinology):

And an example from one of her patients:

The first column is last week on Tslim.
The second column is first week on iLet with weight put in as the only setting needed.

She says: “Sure, I could adjust T-slim settings, but I just did 2 weeks ago.” And: “This is just first week; it should improve a bit overtime.”

To me it looks like iLet could be a really good fit for many people out there. It´s diabetes simplified. And it´s good to know it´s an option out there if I at some point no longer is able to take care of my own diabetes.

All comments, thoughts and experiences are welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks for this reminder. I am probably much closer to this eventuality than you.

I’ve drawn the personal conclusion that the iLet will pleasantly exceed the needs of most people who use insulin. It’s not the performance I would choose when I consider my current regimen with DIY Loop and low carb eating. But I have to quickly remind myself that my personal diabetes style is a decided minority of the larger group.

But, when I consider how the current institutional medical establishment will likely perform if I fall under their care, the iLet is light-years ahead. The question I now face is, if I’m already on the iLet, how likely is it that it will be adopted if I am institutionalized?

At this point, all I confidently know is that if I can perform the maintenance functions of a pump/CGM regimen, the medical establishment will tolerate me. I can only hope that they would willingly pitch in and try to keep an iLet/CGM therapy going.

@Siri, I know you live in a much less hostile medical environment than me. I wish that some of that would evolve here.

1 Like

Not for everyone. I know at least one person who gave it right back. The marketing video seemed to me that it’s for people who don’t want to work too hard?

I’ve decided it’s not for me, but I’ve been toying with the idea of trying it, knowing I’d likely return it. I’m very curious, but know full well I’m not the target audience. I respond very well to evidence, though. My mind can be changed when I see it work.

I don’t understand the choices they made and the marketing that makes it seem even more unappealing. Like, the CEO has done a few interviews, and he flat out refuses to discuss glycemic statistics. He says he doesn’t even know them. (I call BS on that one, instant negative karma points.) He says if you’re worried about the numbers, then this pump isn’t for you. How many of us don’t care about the numbers??? He’s really pushing the system as “easy”, but not “good”. That certainly doesn’t groom excitement! At least not where I’m sitting. Except I’ve read the study, and the numbers really aren’t that bad. They’re pretty much on par with all the other systems.

The reality is that no clinical trial of a commercial AID system has gotten the average person into the 70% TIR and HbA1c below 7 goal yet. Not even my preferred one. They’re all hovering just above the target. Every single one. Of course, if the statistical average is just above target, it means that slightly less than half of the users are actually IN TARGET and having great success. It makes it pretty easy to cherry pick pretty examples to show how great it works.

I think you’ve really got to look at the nuances of a pump and see what makes them different. What do they offer that can take you from the wrong side of average and put you into the successful side of the equation? And what if you have loftier personal goals than 70%/<7? Do any of them have features that can help you excel, not merely succeed?

I’m what they call “brittle”. My insulin needs change drastically day to day. I believe the ability to set basal rates, and more importantly change them, is paramount for my personal success. I will never choose a pump that takes that away from me. I believe insulin delivered BEFORE it’s needed will always be most effective. I believe I know more about my diabetes and insulin needs faster than a feedback loop of sensor data does. I want MORE control of my devices, not less.

The other deal breaker for me is the fact that you can’t bolus at all, even if you want to. You’re completely at the mercy of the automation. Sure, if you want to correct, you could tell it you’re eating (just like entering phantom carbs on Medtronic), but that waters down the algorithm. That’s teaches the pump your meal input isn’t actually worth much, since you didn’t have a spike in insulin need. I can’t just sit there and suffer while hoping the pump figures me out someday.

I don’t need easy. I need the darned things to do exactly what I tell them to do and have to have my back when I’m not paying attention. I hate when professionals and product designers treat me like an imbecile. I’ve actually been told on the phone by my insurance company “oh honey, that’s not for you to worry about,” when trying to advocate for myself and what I need. The h3ll it’s not! It’s my body, my diabetes, and my life. I feel like this pump speaks to me in that same patronizing voice. “Oh honey, we’ll do all the thinking for you, just shut up, sit back and take what we give you.”

In my personal opinion, AndroidAPS with unannounced meals and dynamic ISF is algorithm perfection. Unfortunately, there’s limited options to pair it with. In the US, only Omnipod Dash, which doesn’t work for me. Control-IQ is the closest commercial algorithm, but by a long shot. I’ve seriously got my fingers crossed that Control-IQ 2.0, which is just wrapping up clinical trials now, will bring a lot of those AndroidAPS benefits to the table. Or that the upcoming Mobi will be AAPS compatible and I can go back.

3 Likes

Plus we need FASTER insulin and a source for automatic glucose… and, maybe, a CURE that will negate all the gadgetry.

1 Like

I chafe under the same attitudes when I interact with many medical professionals. As I’ve entered my more senior years, I’ve tried to moderate my attitude as I realize, to be effective, I’m going to have to adopt a more conciliatory manor. This is not natural for me but I’m still trying to learn.

I sure wish that the commercial automated insulin delivery systems would allow a user to earn a “super-user” status through demonstrated CGM performance. The privilege of super user, could be earned, for example, by keeping a 14-day average < 100 mg/dL, a time in range (70-140) > 70%, and a glucose variability as measured by standard deviation at < 22 mg/dL. These numbers, of course, could be adjusted.

I envision that this super-user status would permit many of the freedoms of the open source DIY systems like Loop or AAPS. That means, for instance, setting a target glucose at 87 mg/dL.

As I write this, the idea seems far-fetched to me as most organizations are risk adverse. It’s just an idea.

3 Likes

@Terry4:
That may be true, but the knowledge and ability to take care of diabetes in home care or an institution is unfortunately poor.

@Laura_S:
I have not seen the marketing video and can´t seem to find it anywhere so I can not speak to that. But isn´t this just a great option for people who has tried it all and never seem to get a grip no matter what they do. If you see the last example in my original post, it seems like the iLet has a huge potenial. I´m happy for the product and the possibillity it seems to have to give many people a better quality of life.

@Robyn_H

@Robyn_H:
Then iLet is not for you. I´m still happy to see this option out there and that is seems to work really well even for people used to micromanage their diabetes.

That is the fact that amazed me most when trying to learn about the iLet.

The interview on YouTube between Diabetes Strong and Beta Bionic’s CEO, Sean Saint, was informative:

The same was Mike Natter talking to Diabetech:

Mike Natter says the pump does not work without a sensor after 72 hours without one, but I´m not sure that is right. Sea Saint says otherwise in his talk with Diabetes Strong.

I´m happy to be corrected if I´m wrong.

1 Like

I’m not one for extremely tight control due to high insulin sensitivity but, the person I know who tried it had far far better numbers with an Omnipod. I just think this is a very vague “pump”. We need competition in the marketplace but I just do not know how this will fare.

TCOYD talked about the iLet pump during their conference 3 months ago. Here’s the video cued up to the part about the iLet.

I think it is clear that the iLet is intended for people who aren’t succeeding with current pumps and maybe those who need MyFirstInsulinPump. The pump is not for people who are trying to maximize TIR while simultaneously optimizing average glucose/GMI/AGP/A1C.

1 Like

This caught my eye. My experience has been the same. I have all the willingness and (fortunately) time and resources to try for really tight control, but I end up suffering so many lows and low trends, I’ve had to loosen my grip over the years I’ve had T1D.

Do you consider yourself “brittle” or just “insulin sensitive”? Are there any aspects of your experience in this regard, how your days go, variation in insulin needs, how you do control, etc., you’d be willing to share? No obligation to, of course!! Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Well last night my sensor said my BG was 412. I couldn’t figure out why but I did double check with a fingerstick and go the same range so I took two units. Which is a lot for me. In two hours my BG was 68. So I backed up a sensor reading in there to a finger stick to verify this rapid drop and it was matching up. I don’t even know if a closed loop Omnipod 5 is gonna help or not. I know if I have a high from maybe eating something ‘wrong’ it will drop really fast. And if it’s from a leaky pod or some site issue it will drop slow. The fast is unpredictable.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by the iLet because the S, M, L meal announcements reflect the way I “count” carbs. I also like that I believe it learns and adjusts to the user’s patterns whereas I think that I tend to repeat or not notice certain mistakes I make over and over.
I’m tripped up by it not having an exercise mode. Vigorous exercise radically changes how effective insulin is for me (and I imagine just about everyone else). Even pretty light exercise can drive me low. I suppose you could just detach the thing for a half hour or an hour before exercising but that seems like a kluge. On the other hand, a lot of diabetes management is pretty klugy.
I’d definitely like to give it a try. I believe it’s got a glass reservoir designed to be used with the fast-acting insulins which might make it more nimble dealing with rises without having as long a trail of IOB. I know some people use fast acting insulin in the T-slim but the algorithm is not designed for that and the plastic degrades it for some.

2 Likes

Except for the fact that I do MDI, not a pump, I totally the same experience here w/ everything else you said–thanks so much for sharing, it really helps! I wondered how common my experience was, but at least I know I’m not totally in some weird insulin-sensitivity land (or maybe we’re both there? haha). I don’t understand how people take Afrezza, or correct a 150 bg with one unit. Corrections are super tricky for me, even when I’m really high. Anyway thanks so much again!

2 Likes

So the problem then becomes me figuring out is it this kind of high or that kind of high. They eequire two different doses to correct. And no closed loop system or whatever isgoing to work that way. Oh well blessings to you and I don’t think we’re the only ones!

1 Like

Hi, are hormones in play here perhaps? I have found since becoming peri-menopausal i can go off a cliff edge or scale ridiculous highs in the blink of an eye pretty much.

2 Likes

Just hit 65…:slight_smile:

There is much that intrigues me about the iLet, like, how being partially untethered is an appropriate treatment choice. They suggest giving no more than half your TDD of basal insulin via long acting injection. This alone could be a big help for some who have experienced multiple episodes of DKA after pump events where no insulin was given for a while. It also hints at how very different the algorithm must be from, say, the X2’s. The HCP user guide is on this page: HCP Resources - Beta Bionics

1 Like

@mremmers:

This was interesting and all news to me.

I can´t find the HCP user guide you refer to and the HCP Portal requires log in. Is there any other way to access these resources?

That’s interesting. I am not using any special login credentials and that link works for me. I am able to click on the top left choice (Healthcare Provider User Guide) and the manual opens. I can download it from there. Here is another link to try: > https://www.betabionics.com/wp-content/uploads/LA000079_D-iLet-Bionic-Pancreas-System-HCP-Guide.pdf

I thought you meant the bottom right choice (HCP Portal) when you wrote HCP user guide, the top left choice does not require log in. Thanks for clearing things up so quickly.