The Secret of My Success is... please share yours!

I’m starting this topic because of all the frustration I read here. I think we need to share our successes as well as our difficulties. More personally, it’s because I need inspiration to keep me motivated,

My story: After 13 years of being Type 2, I finally am experiencing some substantial progress. I started on a new, once-a-week drug called Trulicity in addition to my other injectable, a daily nighttime shot of 17 units of Levemir, plus the oral meds Metformin, Prandin and Januvia. I’ve lost about 10-12 lbs. and my morning readings range usually from 70 to 100.

But this is not just about the drugs. It’s about attitude and action. I made a decision to “go for it” — that is, really get serious about diet, exercise, to get my HgA1c below 7.0, where it’s never been before. As far as I can remember, I’ve gone from 8.4 down to 7.x bouncing up and down in the 7’s. I’d get a lower reading and then “celebrate” and indulge myself in carelessness.

This time is different. I start the day with a protein shake that includes greens and fruit plus a protein shake and some plant-based supplements (green tea powder and gentian root extract). I wear a health bracelet and have a goal of 6000 steps a day, but often can just work in a 3000 step day. I’m not perfect — yet. For actual meals, my meals are largely vegetarian, with meat incidentally or only about once-a-week. I think the Trulicity has diminished my appetite and I find myself eating small meals, more often but definitely less food than before the Trulicity. I also cut out drinking, bread, ice cream, yoghurt with honey, and late night eating, at most a snack of nuts or a piece of fruit after 9 p.m. I try to make lunch my main meal.

My next A1c test is early next month. I’ll keep you posted, but please share your successes with me and others who, like me, need Hope.

Thanks!
Tony

6 Likes

I should add that the Trulicity replaced a daily morning shot of 1.8 units of Victoza.

I really enjoyed the story of your success with T2.
I too am T2, my A1C last time I had blood work done was 6.7. I could improve this, but I love food and can rarely deny myself a treat when the occasion occurs. But as well as my blood sugars being at a moderately good level my blood work revealed that blood pressure, chlosterol, etc, were all very much lower than they had been for some time. I have been eating moderately LCHF for some time, the high fat scares me a little, I am so brainwashed to believe that low fat is the way to go. Apart from hating the taste of low fat or lite foods, I find it much more pleasurable to indulge in butter, cream and full fat milk. I am never hungry and could not work out how to eat low fat and feel sated.
To me eating LCHF has proved successful, in the distressing time after dx when I was all at sea, I am so glad I found TuD and embarked on a new eating plan.

5 Likes

Tony_s
It is good to hear the progress you have made. I can understand the Rollercoaster ride of meds you had to endure to get to the positive place you are at now. You’re right attitude is also a big part. 8 yrs ago I came down with a charcot foot, really nasty broken foot, most of the bone in the main part of the foot had spider web fracturing. 2 years later same type of break in my other foot. Oh I forgot I was told by my regular doctor two days before the first charcot foot that I was not diabetic. I held some resentments for him for a year or so. He had been testing my blood for five years or better. My foot Doctor told me there was no way around it my swollen broke up mess of a foot belonged to a diabetic. Broke second foot during a move from California to Arkansas. First two months at new job in a ridged boot. 6 months after that I had my first foot ulcer. 3rd foot ulcer this past March made me dig down deep and make a lifestyle change. This past April my internalist threw farxega at me and said this will help. That brought me up to 9 daily meds. 3 of those for diabetes. I spent two straight weeks reading up on Type 2 diabetes. I dropped soda of any type. Cut out fast food, processed packaged foods, started eating all raw vegetarian. Lots of juicing both fruits and vegetables. I had to tweak the diet a bit. I found that the fruits were keeping my bgs too high. Now I predominantly use blueberries and ditched the other fruits. Green juice, raw vegetables or slightly steamed or roasted vegetables. I re-incorperated some meat, good fats lots of avocados. This helped drop the bgs over time. I went from a1c 7.2 in April to 6.3 in August. And I know it is even lower know. I dropped all meds in late April. Use natural supplements, and exercise. Had to use a Total Gym to get around the foot ulcer piece. This all has lowered blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, bgs and weight. March 18 2015 weight was 307, today 251. I know that I will always be t2 diabetic, but I want to have regular bg levels and never have to lose a foot, or anything else. I was always an emotional eater, but once the sugar and carb cravings went away things became easier. I would tell anyone on this journey, don’t give up. You will get frustrated, but I look at it as life or death. In 96 I visited a man in a hospital that had t2 he had just had his leg removed a the knee, previously they took his other leg mid thigh. I will never forget the sight and smells of that day. Research your conditions. Look for natural cures that may help. Research the meds you are on or maybe on. Do the benefits out weigh the risks? Each person has to wade through the BS to find what works for them. My wife is someone that has to use the meds. She’s t2 also, but she’s also dealing with PCOS which just compound things. Sorry this is so long, I hope that it may help someone. Never give up, keep plowing forward.

5 Likes

Congratulations on the progress you have made, particularly in reducing and finally ditching the meds. I’m struggling getting thru Medicare’s coverage gap, my numerous meds are so expensive. I take 2 meds for asthma (inhalers) and 2 for cholesterol (statins) and 1 for blood pressure (my doc’s a cardiologist; what can I say?). It was embarrassing yesterday at the dry cleaners the other day. I was writing a check and the cleaner noticed my left hand was shaking. (It’s also unreliable for carrying anything.)

I find when I don’t make my morning green drink, my day is sluggish. I get so much energy from it. I do eggs and avocado occasionally for breakfast, and was glad to see you eat avocados and blueberries too.

I’m going to take your advice about doing better research on the meds. I can’t support all of these drugs.

Thank you so much for sharing your success. Oh, and by the way, it was my dentist who noticed a drastic change in my gums which turned out to be the first clue I was diabetic. Actually, the second clue. My father had been diagnosed T2 about 8 years earlier, but somehow I thought I was immune. Wishful thinking, eh?

2 Likes

Right eating is key but the exercise (walking) has helped both my weight and my mood. I feel more energy and hence hopeful. Thanks for sharing your success. I’ll let you know if I can match your 6.7 next test time.

2 Likes

Need to mention: I start the day with a whey protein “green” drink, which has given me the energy I was missing to exercise and keep moving. These “green drink” recipes, smoothies made with green leafy vegetables, lemon juice, ginger, et al., are all over the internet. I make certain substitutions (coconut water for almond milk, a few chinks of pineapple instead of banana) but the effect is the same.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/05/23/show-your-tummy-some-love-with-this-incredible-green-smoothie-recipe/

1 Like

I should add: this is my daily breakfast !!!

1 Like

Here are my results after three months:

My weight is down by about seven poinds or more and my HgA1c dropped from 7.5 to 6.9 ! I attribute a lot of this to Trulicity which, along with Levemir, diet and exercise, has really helped me reach this goal for the first time. In Control at last !

3 Likes

How are your levels now. I’m sitting here looking to take my first shot of Trulicity and very nervous.

1 Like

@Tony_S

Hooray for you Tony!

#YOUTHEMAN!!!

I love the fact that you said you approached it with a “go for it attitude!”

I don’t have type2diabetes, however, behavior and attitude plays a huge role in the management of type 2 diabetes!!!

#HOLLA

3 Likes

Yes Tony, you are to be congratulated not only for doing good but also for a very positive attitude. As I am lived with type 2 diabetes for many years, I can tell that a good attitude makes all the difference. Diabetes is a hard disease to have and to fight. Sometimes we win battles and sometimes we loose battles. The treatment and control of diabetes take work. Keep your positive attitude.
Tom

I know what you mean about the negativity! SECRET #1 = Keep it positive. As every T2 will tell you it is all very individual – what works, what triggers problems, what combination of meds – so many variables!

SECRET #2 = I found life got so much better when I got a great doctor. My endo is amazing and thorough. My first visit was 2 hours long. It included blood work, EKG, dietician visit, education – the works. I started off with getting my ABC’s in order (A1C, Blood pressure and cholesterol) and now I’ve settled into a pretty good situation. He helped me put together a team that replaced the cracker GP I had and now I have a new GP, foot doctor, gastro chick that all work together with him.

SECRET#3 = I lost 100 pounds and got off insulin. Right there you know it doesn’t happen overnight! I now have a combination of oral meds and Bydurian once a week shot. I am “steady Eddie” with a 5.4 A!C. My pressure and cholesterol are good. I walk at the Y as often as possible but with the neuropathy and other issues I also only do around 6,000 steps a day. ( It is energizing to walk, I agree) I eat what I call no carb, lo carb, slo carb. I have to keep my carbs lower than most but I’ve found what works for me walking the outside of the grocer! (fresh before frozen, frozen before canned, keep it simple, meat is a side dish not the main course)

SECRET #4 = Deciding that T2 is doable. It DOES take a good attitude. It takes a can do approach to the little challenges. I found out I can’t take a vacation but that’s ok. Everybody is so different but isn’t that cool? Our bodies are unique and unpredictable sometimes but with patience we can figure out where to start and head in the right direction. And its ok to surround yourself with happy, positive people.

Good for you for your success!! Everyone hang in there and you will find your way. Stay positive. That’s a big part of your success.

4 Likes

I’ve been on trulicity for about 2 months now. I feel great. My before a1c was a 12. …Yes 12. And I felt like crap. I had no side effects of the injection. But now I have lost a lot of weight. I hope this is normal?

1 Like

Bernstein—30 to 35 carbs per day for ten years. T2…No meds for a decade…No big secret. We need to pay attention to carbs. Period…Blessings of the universe to all…

4 Likes

I’m new to tudiabetes. Type 2 first a1c was 12! Doc said 7 was good control because she couldn’t get her pts to watch what they eat. A1c now is 5.5 with 60 grams carb a day, 30 units Lantus at night, r alpha lipoic acid + evening primrose oil. Metformin 850 TID.Yep, low carbs are the bomb! Anyone try r aplha lipoic acid and evening primrose oil? What other supplements work for you ? Bernstein’s book set me straight. I am respiratory therapist who THOUGHT he knew about type2 D.

4 Likes

The secret to my success is the right tools for the job and life experience and aptitude that translates well to managing diabetes

That’s amazing. I wonder if the doctor was reprimanded by the insurance company for spending too much time with a patient.

Congratulation. I think giving us the tools is the key. . Knowledge is power. Getting it right in our head. Yes!! The second thing is exercise! I love to go to the pool and chase my grandkids around. Last A1C was 6.5 ,it is winter. Before previous A1C 6.2 I am proud 23 years,no other issues. Nancy

2 Likes

Not having Diabetes, but watching and caring for one, I would say the secret is stubbornness and flexibility. Stubbornness to do the right thing as much as possible, and flexibility to change when what you were doing yesterday doesn’t work anymore.

3 Likes