The Turning Point

Hello one and all and no one. [I don't believe anyone reads these]

I’ve been through [yet again] another disappointing period of my T1diabetic life. I have been testing 0-1 times a day and I’m starting to think I am developing a phobia for high BGL’s. It was only a few days ago that my mother wanted me to test my blood, purely from curiosity - I had a panic attack because I remembered what I had eaten and that I hadn’t tested or given a bolus for the snack. AND WHAM I’m crying and worrying and being ridiculous. All because I didn’t take 2 seconds out of my time to do it the correct way. I’ve always wondered why I go through those stages that seem so hard? I mean, to put it straight, going to the toilet isn’t the most pleasant thing, having your menstrual cycle isn’t a pleasant thing, being sick isn’t pleasant. But we tend to those needs automatically and so willfully that it isn’t considered an effort. Why does it have to be such a huge painstaking effort to take but a moment to digest my food properly [as artificial as it may be] and get on with my day?

But today my friends, I hit that turning point. I think we all know what it feels like? At least the few of us who experience a constant roller coaster of emotions. I respect those who incorporate T1D into their lives as easily as breathing. And I really hope that I one day manage to make it habbit rather than routine. To those of you struggling to find that ‘Turning Point’, do it with me today, and begin anew like we always do. Because some control is at least better than none at all.

Love Leena.

x

Too true, diabetes sucks. No vacations. The emotional part of it is always there and sometimes I hate it so much I’m shaking but I make myself fingerstick and bolus anyway. I remind myself that the alternative is worse. Better to push through the constant effort so I can keep my eyesight, kidneys, and nerves working.

Congrats Leena! I don’t know anyone who finds it as easy as breathing… I sure don’t! Don’t beat yourself up for the past, be proud of yourself that you’re moving on… one step at a time, one day at a time.

Also: lots of people read these. =) Some of us are lurkers though… in the spirit of starting anew, i tried a new infusion site today, does that count? Never tried on leg, starting to think i should have shaved a patch first, that’s gonna hurt pulling off in 3 days, if it lasts that long, heh!

I read these things. I have a phobia of lows. I check like 12 or more times a day. They tell me type 2s dont get lows. I tell the docs they are wrong. I had lows at work during important meetings. So I check all the time. It got to the point my Endo wanted me on xanax. I told them poking my fingers sounds better than xanax. So good for your turning point. Take care.

Don: I appreciate the fact that you push through despite that emotional setback. I will keep in mind that there is a much bigger picture!

Jrtpup: Thank you so much, I will do that! Every time I rush into it, I burn out a bit too quickly. :slight_smile:

bobnominous: I would imagine a leg infusion site might be quite difficult, what with wearing pants and all that? I’m a hip and tummy person! Lol! Good luck with those changes! And I think all changes count!

Patientx: I have a phobia of BOTH really! Haha. I think 12 times a day would be exceptionally good for someone like me, but I will aim high none the less! That is very impressive on your part, most type 2’s I know have the occasional test in a week!! Good luck with everything! :slight_smile:

I love using my thighs. Jeans don't get in the way really, though you have to be mindful pulling underwear up and down. I put the site about 2/3 up my thigh, towards the inside. I put my legs together and insert a bit away from where they meet. Also seems to be a great dexcom site for me, though the adhesive gets icky with jeans 'stuff'. They seem to last the longest there, and be quite accurate.

That is so interesting. I don't really like the idea of my legs or arms. Maybe I should grow some courage and try something new? My hips work really well, but the band aid wears out quite quickly, who knows why? This may sound weird - I don't know if people do this - but I put my canula on my bum when I go to the beach! HAHA! That way I don't have people questioning whether I am wearing a nicotine patch!

Good luck to you! Sometimes it is the fear of failing that keeps us from testing when we know we're high. The denial to think that everything is better if we don't know how out of range we may be. The best you can do is try to do better next time. Take small steps that are easy to achieve, like testing before every meal, and then try to incorporate it more. With more testing, your sugars will be better and those small successes make it easier to keep on doing it.

We are all human, we all make mistakes. We are not perfect and neither are our blood sugars. This is something I struggle with everyday. Keep up the good work, Kathleen! The fact that you have enough insight into this to post on here is great.

“some control is at least better than no control at all.”-- I’ve been diabetic for a very long time and I just love this saying. Thank you so much!

yes it is hard and I hate it! But with all things it makes us stronger! We are the superwoman/men in this world, and no one will tell me different!
To all of us that have type 1 Diabetes, I salute you!

Life is hard enough somtimes but throwing in the towel to diabetes would evenually mean death. I've seen how it affects my son and others around me that have it and its hard to help others unless they reconize what they can do to help manage it. I've seen so many people struggle with getting insulin and blood testing supplies ect and it make things that much harder to get control. I have seen that exercising seems to decrease the sugar level so being active seems to help to.Keep your head up and thanks for the post. kimberly