Time for a new pump

It is time for me to get a new pump. I currently have a minimed but am seriously thinking about and Animas. I am tired of Minimed's cmg being unreliable and it is likley that Animas will be the next one out with a duel pump and cmg. What do you like and dislike about your Animas?

Read about the Animas VIBE. It is available in Europe but has not been submitted to FDA because DexCom is still working on getting their 4th generation sensor FDA approved. Once Dexcom is approved, I learned VIBE should be approved quickly because the "computer algorithm" has already been approved for JDRF's artificial pancreas device. All things being equal, I to will be ready for a new pump in September but may need to wait to get the VIBE about an extra year.

It appears that the Animas Vibe does not come with a meter remote. With the Vibe, you need to access the pump when you bolus. With the Ping, you can use the Ping remote.

As for the CGM, Medicare still refuses to cover all CGMs. They may cover the Vibe pump, but that's it.

Animas is working with dexcom for continous monitoring system. I can say animas ping is waterproof and that they took care of me getting me a pump before my insurance changes. animas ping has a meter remote that controls the pump. No more entering on the pump seperatly, that is my biggest option to get the ping along with the waterproof feature.

Well - I have posted before about how much I dislike the Animas Pump but I am using the Dexcom cgm and it works pretty well. Given my choice, I would stick to MiniMed but use the Dexcom rather then the combo. Of course, that could change in the future as everything does.
Jeff

i love my ping pump. been on it 4yrs.it is completly waterproof 12 meters for 24 hours,(ive been swimming with my pump at the YMCA many times…the meter controls pump…great support with 24hrs access to calling animas. would not be without it at all. highly recommended by me, and you can email me at ron.bryan@hotmail.com with any questions on the ping meter remote ot he pump…the new vibe has GCM on it :smile:

true waterproofing is a great feature and one that has eluded us MM users until the 640G (I hope that turns out to not be another MM lie, like with the 511)

Phoenixbound, I seem to remember that all the pumps are waterproof but MM decided not to claim that as you cannot account for damage (bumping, dropping, etc ) not to spring a leak thus legally they chose not to make a claim of waterproof. I wonder how the other manufacturer’s deal with this.

they are not waterproof. Even with no cracks, I’ve had a number of pumps stop working after unintentional and intentional dunkings. Don’t believe for a minute that they really are waterproof because they aren’t.

One time it took about a week for a wet pump to fail; other times it was less than 5 minutes.

Yeah, that’s more like what I believe as I work in electronics tech industry and liquid and electric just to not mix (watches) seem to be the lone winner. Thus I never even tempted fate…

moisture can get into a MM pump from so many “weak spots” in the design, it’s a pisser. How they had the nerve to claim the 511 was water resistant is beyond me. They haven’t made that claim on any subsequent pump model until the 640G and time will tell if they designed that one too poorly to stand up to a good dunking like all their previous 5xx series pumps.