Tis the season: cravings & hunger

Several late afternoons this week I was gripped by hunger. Craze-inducing hunger, turning me anxious. Even after a protein-rich snack ( a hard-boiled egg, cheese & whole grain cracker), it took quite some time for the hunger to pass.
I wonder what factors provoked this feeling?
Had my breakfast been too small? Was it a headache? Was it just the great stress of work projects?
Or is it the coming of cold & dark & a seasonal craving for carbs? Looking back on these episodes, I wonder if the time change played a role.
My response for now: trying to stock my kitchen & work fridge with easy-to-grab high protein, low carb foods.

2 Likes

This was a really popular topic

1 Like

I’m also wondering if we start drinking less water this time of the year. I know I do and try to make an effort not to. There is something so satisfying about a cold glass of water after being sweaty/hot/sticky from the summer heat. I don’t just don’t drink as much water when it’s cold outside. Dehydration can definitely make someone hungry. I don’t know, something to think about.

1 Like

I had this problem starting about two months ago. No reason I could pinpoint, but it seemed to follow my cycle rather closely. I talked to my endocrinologist about it, since I was starting to put on a few unwanted pounds.
He said it might be hormone related, but since our endocrine system is so convolutedly (is that a word?) Intertwined, he couldn’t say exactly what was the culprit…hormones, weather, lack of hormones, who knew.
I was put on victoza, which after a week of not wanting to even look at food, has successfully curbed my excessive hunger pains.
I’m still not sure what caused it, but this off label thingy fixed it, and I’m very happy!

Homemade vegetable soup is an excellent way to both keep hydrated and keep those hunger pangs away in a low carb fashion. Think chicken and vegetable soup for the soul!

1 Like