Trouble renewing Dexcom G6 sensor

Until recently, I have been able to renew my pump supplies, including Dexcom sensors quickly and easily through Diabetes Management and Supplies in New Orleans. I am in Oregon. This time, I have run into an impenetrable roadblock. Not only did they ignore my on line request for renewal, they have been impossible to reach via their phone number. Yesterday, I gave up after 6 hours. This morning, someone tried to contact me early in the morning, before I could get to my phone. Has anyone else had difficulty with them? Does anyone have a recommendation for another provider who might be more responsive and is willing to bill Medicare Part B? I have been able to reuse my present sensor, using a clever strategy I found on Tube, but do not think that the sensor can be reused many times before it becomes inaccurate.

1 Like

Searched and found some comments about delays and recovery from hurricanes earlier this year.

I use CCSmed, not on Medicare, but I think others have.

They are ok.
They just emailed me to confirm my 12/29/21 shipment is being prepared.

I get my Dexcom Medicare Part B sensors and transmitters from US Med. They have been delightful to work with compared to some of my former Part B suppliers. They ship a 90-day quantity after I reply positively to their email prompt for the next 90-days of supplies. They send 9 sensors and 1 transmitter every 90 days. They perform like clockwork. I don’t ever have to fix any of their errors.

I get my Part B insulin from CVS. They perform well with my insulin but it took over three weeks to get my Part B glucose test strips filled.

Medtronic fills my Part B infusion pump supplies, infusion sets and reservoirs.

Good luck with getting your Part B supplies. US Med is located in Florida, so that’s not too far removed from your current supplier in New Orleans. US Med has been the easiest by far to work with.

@Dave_Gilmore, I think Dexcom’s Medicare providers are chosen by Dexcom on a regional basis.

I’m in Washington state, just across the Columbia River from Oregon. I use Byram Healthcare for mail-order delivery, but I do believe Walgreens is also a local provider.

It wouldn’t hurt to call Dexcom, and confirm with whom they contract with in your locale.

Doug

P. S. I’m happy with Byram’s service, but their communication is disastrous, particularly that the do not notify the patient (ME!) when an order is denied, nor why it was denied. They just leave you presuming it was approved. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks. I live in Southern Oregon. The supplier I used was prompt, reliable and easy to communicate with until the last supply refil. Apparently, they are situated in New Orleans and were heavily impacted by their last hurricane, with prolonged loss of power and phone service and supply chain issues. Several years ago, I left Byrun because of difficulty in communicating with them. Wallgreens is nor really a good option locally since staffing issues have forced them to reduce hours, and to not answer phones. Recently, they didn’t even have the staff needed to put in my request for an insulin refill under Medicare Part B. We certainly live in challenging times. Thank you for your input. Dave Gilmour

I was forced into using Byram. And I was not happy about that.

However I’m set up with them now and I just text then when I’m ready for my order and it comes. It’s been very good so far.

I’m on Medicare and at one time was forced to use DMS for my pump supplies. Then I was eligible for CGM and got those supplies from them also. They were not good but improving in their service until they suddenly stopped responding and never gave any information on their website. I was so happy to get advice from people here to try USMedical Supply for dexcom. Great to deal with. They can’t provide my Medtronic minimed supplies but CCS Medical can and they seem like they’re going to be OK too. Good luck

I use ADS (Advanced Diabetes Supply/Northcoastmed) They were prompt in setting up the order through Medicare and I get a text when it’s time for my order that I just confirm I need them.

I prefer restarted sensors now anyways, but originally it was to build a back up supply. I would suggest you might want to restart them while we can, that way you don’t have to worry when things like this happen. It sounds like we won’t be able to restart the G7’s when they come out. But you will be able to always have a back up supply.

These are videos on restarting.
A guitar pick seems to work well.

1)  Let sensor expire or stop.
2) Remove transmitter while sensor is still on your arm
      use a test strip, guitar pick or thin card. - there is a hidden clip in 
      the middle of the  sensor if you pop it from the sides it raises up 
      slightly on both sides and the transmitter will come out. She 
      explains how to do it from the end.
  1. Wait at least 15 minutes, longer is okay
  2. Snap Transmitter back into the sensor
  3. Start new sensor session using your original code

I get my pods from them. I get a reminder, and sign up via the web site for refills. Or if I dont get the reminder, I go and sign up there anyway! No issues, extremely timely. Hope that isn’t changing…

I’ve been with ADS out of California for several years , and up to the past year has always been responsive.
I as of later I email them when I’m down to my last three sensors. But lately they been dropping the ball. I notified at 3 weeks , heard nothing , noticed at two weeks again nothing. Called at one week they were waiting on the time to bill Medicare. Finally was told the were expatiating shipment . Which would arrive 3 days after my sensor ended. As a note. Sense 2017. I have NEVER been able to restart a sensor.
On ADS behalf I believe that with COVID that that they are probable short handed. And can’t keep up with orders. Also on this present order , they stepped ahead and sent one extra sensor.

1 Like

I have been able to restart sensors, although I failed the first time I tried. I use a thin metal finger nail file to pry the transmitter from the sensor, then wait 1 hour after I turn the sensor off. I put the transmitter back in and use the same sensor number I used before. ( I save the sensor number when I put it on). Because of the difficulty I have had this cycle in getting replacement sensors, I will now reuse sensors for a couple if cycles to allow me to have a few “ backup” sensors.

@John70 You might sign up for auto refill. You get sent a text about 3 weeks before the refill date asking if you need them and you respond yes and then you get notice of shipment when it’s shipped. It’s all automatic.

You might be skipping a step on the sensor restart? You do have to have a stopped sensor and remove the transmitter for at least 15 minutes before putting it back in for a restart. People restart for various reasons but a common one is to build some kind of back up supply for when things go wrong.

A follow up: As suggested by several respondents, I switched over to ADS/ North Coast Medical for my dexcon and tandem supplies. They were easy to contact and expedited my sorely needed sensors. They will also supply insulin, billing Medicare Part B for all. Thank you for the recommendation.

2 Likes