Type 2 diabetes PRIDE t-shirt design contest

Our recent type 2 diabetes live interview series on TuDiabetes is coming to a close (watch the recorded interviews), and one thing that came up in several of the interviews is a need for a T2 Pride movement. People are sick and tired of being blamed for their condition and feeling ashamed to have type 2. NO ONE causes their diabetes, and EVERYONE deserves compassion, understanding and respect.

So on TuDiabetes we’re launching a type 2 diabetes pride t-shirt design contest! Come up with the best design, and YOUR t-shirt will be printed, with the TuDiabetes logo on it, for folks to purchase from the Diabetes Hands Foundation store!

Flex your creativity!!! How would you proclaim your T2 Pride? Upload design ideas in the thread below :womans_clothes: :shirt:

1 Like

Great starting point, Emily!

1 Like

Thanks @Thas! I’m a very firm believer in the power of standing up against shaming and judgement and saying “I am a worthy person and I am proud to be me!” Can’t wait to see what ideas people share for this! There’s definitely a T1 pride movement (I love my “Type 1 Diabadass” shirt) and I think it’s high time folks with T2 have one, too.

1 Like

This is a great challenge to creatively cut the whole blame and shame game off at the knees!

@EmilyC, can you upload a Type 1 Diabadass graphic? I’d be interested in that.

@Terry4, here 'tis :slight_smile: There are many versions of the T1 Diabadass shirt (google brings up a slew of them!). I got mine from Sandy Struss, at J & J.

Type 2s: would you wear a “Type 2 Diabadass” shirt? I do NOT recommend googling it, as the results are offensive, but we could create an empowering and unapologetic answer to the stupid one that’s out there right now.

The design is very rough, but here goes…

3 Likes

A couple if memes I wouldn’t mind seeing on a t-shirt.

1 Like

A couple more:

2 Likes

Here’s one I’ve had in mind for a long time now.

6 Likes

Can’t just use it, but this is one useful sentiment:

i’m still thinking of a t-shirt idea. i want to make something that promotes solidarity among type 2’s or PWD’s in general, not something that is meant to educate others. that’s what the type 1 shirt does, i think. something like:
Type 2 Dragon Slayer in old english font above a coat of arms with a knight killing a dragon and a hand symbol with a drop of blood on one of the fingers. then below the coat of arms would be a banner that was also in old english font reading ‘courage and perseverance’ , or something like that.

i found some coat of arms websites as a starting point, but i can’t copy and paste the image here.

2 Likes

I like this thought. We often try to educate others but showing pride is different. It tells everybody that I am not ashamed of who I am; in fact I am proud to take on this daunting adversary and dominate it. A dragon is a good metaphor.

2 Likes

One of my ideas

1 Like

Another one

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

a rough draft

2 Likes

i was also thinking of playing around with certain metaphors/images associated with diabetes, like ‘roller coaster’, ‘coming in for a soft landing’, ‘flatline’, any others you can think of that could be transformed into images on a t-shirt?

i’m also looking at some ww2 posters that could be used for inspiration. rosie the riveter was already used for breast cancer, so that’s out.

I love your ideas, @v_prediabetic!! Can’t wait to see/hear more :slight_smile:

LOVE this idea! Pride, unity, solidarity… It’ conveys great empowerment in just a few words.