Upgrading/dating

I’m about to update my Tandem t:slim system software on my pump, in preparation for starting to use Dexcom G7 sensors (been using G6s for a few years), and I have a question or two, and probably a little confusion.

I expected I would need to go through some instruction videos for the new software. But when I applied to update on the Tandem site, my “Update ID Number” was immediately deposited in my account page. Does this mean I can go ahead and do the update when the time is right, without getting further instruction? Is the updated software sufficiently similar to the older system that this is not necessary for us veterans? Were those of you who have gone through the update forced to view instructional videos?

—Keith

Keith Johnson
Retired Celestial Wizard and Keeper of the Cosmic Keys
Diabetics are the only people who inject themselves so that they DON’T get high!
[#686 of 874 entries in my FileMaker database of interesting .sigs]

I’m about also to switch from Dexcom G6 sensors to G7s. I will be using my iPhone rather than a receiver. I’ve already downloaded the Dexcom G7 app, so have both on my phone. Does this mean I can deal with either a G6 (of which I still have several) OR a G7? That would make the switch a little easier, I think. Are there any problems with this that I’m not thinking of?

—Keith

Keith Johnson
Retired Celestial Wizard and Keeper of the Cosmic Keys
I’m both dyslexic and diabetic.
So, needless to say, I’m laying off the crabs.

You might want to change your title to include A Tandem update question. It will be better at catching the eyes of the people that have a Tandem. I thought you were upgrading something and wondered if you meant dating in the pump or dating a person lol. I did just get up so it could be a me problem lol! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don’t have a Tandem or I would happily try to help!

1 Like

I had to watch videos and answer questions in order to update. I would think you would, too. There’s nothing all that different, but there are a couple things having to do with starting the sensor.

You can switch back and forth between using G7s and G6s with your T-slim’s updated software.

Not really. Though, if you’ve started a G6 transmitter and you decide to give a G7 a try for your next session, the countdown on the 99 days that the the G6 transmitter can be used to start a new session will continue even if you’re not using it.

1 Like

YES. The new software adds a choice in Options >> My CGM >> Change Sensor Type that allows you to select between a G6 or G7. You can revert to G6 if you have a problem with G7 or just want to use up your old sensors or whatever.

Can’t say 100% but seems like there’d be no harm in trying. AFAIK it’s the same process, though I only recently switched to Tandem and this latest software upgrade was my first, so I did have to run through the instructional to get my authorization number. I actually was on the phone with Tandem Support about something else when I happened to ask the same question you had about whether the G6/G7 toggle was bi-directional. I had already done the instructional stuff but not the upgrade, as I’m sticking with G6 for the moment. The tech affirmed it was, and said “Want to do the upgrade now? I’ll walk you through it.” Which turned out to be great b/c I did run into a few snags not covered in the manual.