Verio Sync Review, from box opening to first test (and general observations)

Hi everyone!

Let me start this out with that I've been diabetic for 43 years (T1), and I love gadgetry, so that will probably skew my review to the positive.

I'm an Apple ecosystem person as well, so the idea of having my BG results in my iPhone is interesting, and using the Health App in IOS8 to keep it all is another feature that I like.

I ordered it from CVS, and if you use the code SAVE30, it's $21, rather than $30.

OK, here we go...
Opening the box has everything in the case for the Verio, and I first noticed something good: The charging port is on the side, so you can charge it without taking it out of the case, like you have to do with the Verio IQ. Along with the instruction book comes the obligatory test strip information sheet that I'm sure that I'll read (I'm an engineer, so I love that stuff), and the sheet for the control solution.

Opening the quick start guide...
Here's the non-obvious part: Press the power button on the side twice quickly to put it in airplane mode. The funny thing is now, Bluetooth communications are allowed, so that may be a moot point, but it's good to have that availability. I'm speaking of US flights, so your area may be different.

The App... Go to the App Store and get the OneTouch Reveal App. Well, at the time of this writing, it is rated 1.5 stars from 48 reviews. Not a good sign. Downloads over WiFi in about 15 seconds to my iPhone 6+. The obligatory license, where the lawyers pretty much tell you that you're on your own. More on the software later. Now I need to pair up the device. (I got 2, so I'll see if it can pair two of them). Nice! The software asks if you want to set the time from the phone.

First test: 85! Nice, and I'll use that to calibrate my Dexcom on my Vibe Pump.

Now for the dumb part: It doesn't sync to the Health App. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

For that reason I cannot recommend this meter. It's the same as a general meter that just transmits the info to your computer. What's the point of a Bluetooth meter that has it's own repository? The beauty of Apple's IOS 8 is that it makes the repository of the health data into the HealthKit system and the Health App. This meter, and the phone call to Lifescan let me know that this wasn't going to happen.

So, if you like a system that can share 14 days of data with itself, get this meter. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

My rating: 2/10 stars - Get another meter, and if you have one... well, at least it tells you your BG. If your doctor demands Verio strips, then, get the VerioIQ. At least it has a color screen.

If you had the Dexcom Share, that does write to the health app… Prob one of my favorite features… I hope they build that in or at least let you pull the data into the app. As of the latest iOS update you can now add blood glucose back in as a value!!!

I find this very interesting in that my Verio Sync,paired with my iPhone 5 using iOS 8.2, work well together. Very rarely my iPhone will, for no reason I am aware of, turn off the Bluetooth function, but it is a simple matter to turn it back on. That said I have similar difficulties with Bluetooth and my car, where I have to turn on the Bluetooth on the iPhone.

I've found that the battery doesn't last and will give me an error after I've applied blood to the test strip. As soon as I've used up the test strips supply for it I'll be switching to another meter.