What all supplies do you pump users carry?

Thanks, Dave, I may have to switch.

Dave, I have never noticed a comment appear indented, under a previous comment, with a faint arrow at the left indicating hierarchy" before now. I apologize.I sent back the rest of my lot 8’s and have requested sure-ts. In my short time pumping, I have had a few failures causing high sugars. my bs goes up more on the third day. The samples I got did not do that.

Depends on which pump I’ve been on and how diligent I’m being. When I’m being prepared, in order of importance:

1. lancet device, test strips (and meter unless part of pump)
  2. insulin with a back-up syringe (especially if I don’t have the next item)
  3. one extra pump change (whether an infusion set/cartridge duo or an empty omnipod)
  4. a spare IV prep for my skin (optional)
  5. spare batteries (occasionally, if I think the battery might be low)

All of that usually fits neatly in my little black Omnipod PDM wallet or in a little wristlet inside my purse.

I’ve been pumping 9 years and I carry extra supplies more commonly now than I did when I started. As a 20-year-old pumper, I ran into a lot of instances where I just assumed I could get what I needed in time if I was out and about. If it hadn’t been for another pumper nearby once with a spare softset a few years ago, I’d have had to miss being a bridesmaid in a wedding to run home and fix a set that came out of my skin. She was carrying back-up and I wasn’t.

I feel I’m much more responsible (turning 30 in a few months) by carrying back-up and, truthfully, most of the pumpers I know carry supplies. I don’t think it necessarily characterizes someone as a newbie. But I also understand why you don’t feel you need to. I’ve felt that way at times, too. But I think the case was that I felt complacent and was taking for granted that I wouldn’t run into an emergency of some sort. I just think it’s a little unfair to look down on those who carry back-up sets.

Thanks Melissa :slight_smile: I would prob carry my stuff in a makeup case in my purse. I have one question :slight_smile: Have you ever had trouble carrying a vial of insulin at room temp? I know that people do but I have always carried it in a case with an ice pack when I take it along.

Great question.

Actually, you ALWAYS want your insulin to be room temp before it goes into a pump. Otherwise, as the insulin warms and expands (as will over the three days you’re wearing it), it will affect the flow rate and the space in the tubing. Occlusions and air bubbles can happen due to putting cold insulin into your tubing. If you prefer to keep your insulin refrigerated most of the time, then carrying an ice pack is fine. But here are a few things to consider.

–you’ll be going through a lot more fast-acting than you used to (I use up a bottle in 2 weeks) now that you’re not using an additional basal insulin and relying solely on fast-acting, so the insulin is less likely to spoil or receive too much jarring/shaking in a 2-3 week time period
–doctors recommend storing unopened vials in the fridge, but opened vials at room temp for up to 30 days
–I’ve been doing it this way with a pump for 9 years (first with Humalog, then with Apidra) and have never had an insulin vial go bad that I know of. as a diabetic child for the ten years before that, we didn’t refrigerate my insulin either.
–they make little koozies for insulin vials if you want extra cushion around it
–they also make little Frio wallets that keep your insulin cool if you prefer

Thanks!!! I like the idea of room temp cause it would be so much easier :slight_smile: However on shots I don’t think it would have been an option as one vial last me a long time!

Thanks Heidi :slight_smile: I think I’d wish I’d been carrying supplies if I’d be in a pickle like that!!

I’m not suggesting you’re either. I’m saying that I was. I have used most pumps and every infusion set out there, and for one reason or another, have done the “run home and grab a set change” enough times to learn to take one with me. And carrying insulin to refill the pump was something I was bad about forgetting to do, too. I can think of three or four times in my life where I had a serious problem that resulted from me not thinking about the fact that I’d need a new reservoir full of insulin.

I’ve never been afraid the pump would fail. They’re reliable as hell and the companies are quick to replace them. But I’ve lost a fair number of infusion sets to ridiculous wardrobe malfunctions, accidental tube yanks, and snapping right off the reservoir though. And I’ve used at least 10 different infusion set styles over the years.

I’ve never had an occlusion from cold insulin myself, but any change in flow or absorption could potentially result in an occlusion, could it not? I admit I don’t know the answer. Just seems like a logical conclusion to me. Not to mention that air bubbles could also cause an occlusion, though, again, less likely.

I am on the omni pod… Since it is summer and I am always in and out of extreme temps (its hot and I am a figure skater, so go figure) I don’t usually carry my insulin, but it is always within 20min… If I am going further away, I do carry it with me

I have a small vera bradley bag that I carry with me… in it I have glucose tabes, test strips, lancet, syringe, insulin, extra batteries, hand snatizer, and an extra pod

Thanks!! I love watching figure skating and I have a sister who’s a really big fan!!

I always carry an extra site in my car. I always either slam the car door on the tube and pull the site out or my seat belt gets caught and pulls my site out. Either way Im always ready to pop a new one in.

good idea :slight_smile:

I always use a penny to open my battery cover. It fits perfectly. In fact, I think my last pump came with a penny!

Batteries, infusion set and pump syring (with alcohol pads) in the car. On me I have insulin and syring (low bottle to use as pump replacement) , BG meter, extra BG meter, money, Skittles, extra bottle of strips, drug list, MedicAert, and a phone. I have used everyone of these at one time or another while on the pump.

I don’t go anywhere without at least one spare infusion set, an alcohol swab, bottle of insulin, syringe and blood glucose meter plus strips! I also carry pump batteries and meter batteries.

2 extra batteries; complete infusion set, and syringes in case of pump failure.