What are you making for Dinner?

You’re welcome!!! :slight_smile: I just wish more people shared… lol

ohh Geri - I haven’t had pizza in so long - I must try this!!! Thanks!!!

Lizmari - thanks for starting the thread!

Tonight I had homemade chilli. :slight_smile:

Anybody know if their blood sugars are easier to control over the summer vs. the winter? I mention this because I eat differently during the summer and also eat less udring the summer - for example - for Last night - I had the leftover chicken (it was fried from Shoppers - don’t recommend this to others unless their body can handle the fat and the carbs) that I had at 2 pm seemed to be enough and I just munched a few walnut seeds and I was satisfied. No dinner other than the walnuts. I am wondering whether the weather has anything to do with my better sugar control - it seems- my blood sugar is easier to control in the summer than in the winter? Or I just have less appetite in the summer? Or the weather has more humidty in the summer so can indulge just a bit more with carbs? Or I have lost so much weight in one and a half year that I can eat more carbs? I have no idea - all I know is my blood sugars are better in the summer than in the winter (well - I only have the experience of one winter). Now if only I can prevent the relapse that I had over the winter last year…

Just made a traditional Japanese dish “gobo” (burdock root) kimpira. Gobo is filled with inulin and there are warnings to diabetics that it may lower blood sugar too much - but I made it fried with Altern (with erythritol) and instead of soy sauce used the molasses (very high sugar) to add the brown sugar type flavor. Wow - was it delicious - to use a Hawaiian phrase “it broke the mouth”!

If anyone is interested - I will get the recipe down, but because of all the side effects of lowering blood sugar (google burdock root) - I won’t. I have included pics of the Altern sugar sub I got at walmart, the decaf tea - love this Genmaicha tea - grainy and earthy - and the burdock ha that kind of bitter herby earthy taste I loe.
6068-IMAG0017.jpg (1.75 MB)
6069-IMAG0018.jpg (1.23 MB)

Uncle Ben’s converted rice cooked with chicken broth, roast chicken breasts (with skin) soaking for two hours in Badia mojo marianade (put more marianade under the skin before roasting) and string beans, undercooked in microwave and finished in wok with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic and red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper.

Ohhhh! I am so glad to read someone else knows about Badia seasonings, and uses them! Their mixes and marinades are so yum! :slight_smile: I use their “complete” seasoning in pizza crusts (now in the egg crust I make, but also in the regular flour ones I used to make.)

hah… that is very, very interesting. I need to put stock in Gobo. lol

We just discovered Badia mojo marianade recently. Very good on steak. Hard to find; it is in the aisle above Badia spices, not with the other marianades. We have used the Sazon Goya and Adobo spice for qute some time and Badia makes regular spices. I will pick up Badia complete.

Yeah, I grew up on Sazon Goya, Adobo, and Sazon Accent… They’re good stuff. I like the individual packets of Sazon Accent and Sazon Goya, particularly the ones that contain Annato, because you can make yellow rice with those… and they are especially good on stewed beans, pot roasts, etc. :slight_smile: Good stuff indeed. Knorr also has some spice seasonings, too, along the same concept.

Hey Lizmari,
Only problem is - it is hard to find unless you go to an Asian grocery store, and there it is standard fare. I never knew about the side effects till this am, when I looked it up on google - it was always known as a purifier, and tonic when I was growing up, and was always eaten when felling poorly. I suspect the good result is that most japanese eat so much white rice 3x a day, that anything that remotely lowers their blood sugar for susceptible Japanese might make them feel better.

Seriously, they should turn that into a pill or something, for Diabetics. lol We do have a few Asian grocery stores here… I’ll have to check it out. :slight_smile:

I found this on a site… and thought it was interesting:

“Scientific research done nearly 50 years ago showed that burdock root has some antibiotic properties. There’s also evidence that it is effective in treating boils. Some people even claim that burdock root is helpful for diabetes. But the research on diabetes is not clear-cut. In one study, burdock lowered blood sugar; in another study, burdock actually made the symptoms of diabetes worse in animals.” http://www.alternativedr.com/burdock.htm

Re the Shirataki noodles, I have heard they have a “fishy” flavor so you have to rinse the juice off. Can these noodles be disguised with marianara sauce or will you still be able to taste a distinctive flavor. Any super low carb pasta find is indeed priceless. Because I would like to offer free foods between meals if hungry as much as possible and these noodles are definitely not loaded with fat.

BS are easier to control over the summer for her. (1) she is more active, swimming drops BS quick, hard and long (drop is large and blood sugar effects last 24 hours) ; (2) the heat of the sun makes her less insulin resistant, needing less basal, less insulin overall.

Well… weather can affect us all differently. Some people get low in heat, and some others get high. Heat makes blood sugars very unpredictable, so all precautions are recommended for D’s who are out and about in the heat… Including glucose tabs, water, perhaps extra insulin for corrections (which is kept safe and cool, from the heat)… etc.

The other thing, too, is that for people who are in Winter climates… The body works harder in Winter, and our metabolisms are going faster in Winter than in Summer… this is because the body has to work hard at keeping body temperature at that balmy 96-98 degrees that is normal. So, because the body is working harder… in fact, it’s like it’s exercising… people tend to burn more calories, have lower blood sugars, and eat more. Psychological aspects can come into play as well… People love having those hot, warm “comfort foods” at Winter time… and they love “light, cool meals” at Summer time, so they are not bogged down by the heat and humidity as much… Aren’t we all just so complex? :slight_smile: (I think the eating lighter meals in the Summer doesn’t apply too much to me, because I grew up in Puerto Rico, where there are no seasons of the year… so we just ate regular meals, always.)

I’ve gone both low, and high, during the heat… I try to avoid walking in extreme heat for too long, if I don’t have water, a snack of some sort, and can readily find some shade, or something.

The shirtake noodles have absolutely no flavor once they’re rinsed off. They’re not like Italian pasta & are like Asian cellophane noodles. I use www.miraclenoodles.com because they contain no soy. Zero carbs, zero calories, zero fat. They’re all fiber.

Turkey meatloaf! w/ steamed veggies!

Wow! I must try that receipe!

wow - thanks Lizmari - my sugars were lower than expected today - so I guess I am one of those people where it actually reduces the sugar - but I will try eating more and see if it is consistentlu low, or it was a fluke… thanks for the info - now I will hae to try the Badia sauce - I will check and see if it is in the local grocery stores…