What does insulin smell like to you?

I think it smells awful.. like moldy chemicals, I'm sure there is some horrible preservative etc in there.. and now that you mention it, it does smell like bandaids too, but much more chemically.

I love the smell of insulin!! It smells like hospitals, but I think that's a good thing :) The smell gets everywhere though and my brother's school bag always stinks of it! Haha :)

Yes! You are so right, Timothy...it does smell like Band-aids-LOL!

The paste you use in art class. Initially I thought it smelled funny and sort of yucky but now that my brain has equated insulin with livelihood I absolutely love it. Always get a whiff after filling my reservoir. Its smell is ever more pleasant when I have ketones.

Totally smells like Band-Aids!!!Oh yes, and my lifeline :)

Home.

My dad's a T1.

When I was first diagnosed, the CDE felt the need to "warn" me that the insulin was going to smell bad. She opened it up and I bet I had a really weird look on my face. It smelled like home, and safety, and dinnertime. Not bad. :/

1 Like

I teach studio art at a local university. The other day I was in the classroom working with students, when I suddenly caught the unmistakable smell of insulin. (My son is a type 1 so I am very familiar with the smell.) Sure enough, I looked around and a student was injecting insulin-- I had forgotten that she is a Type 1.

So what does insulin smell like? To me it has the fresh smell of electronics right out of the box with new band-aids mixed in.

However to be completely accurate, I would add this: For those of us old enough to remember the smell of freshly mimeographed purple-inked papers, cool from the roller: that smell mingled with the smell of freshly opened electronics & band-aids would be as close as I can get to describing the smell of insulin.

And yes, it smells like life.

1 Like

Band Aids all the way. My daughter told me she likes the smell when I do my site changes. I thought- this poor kid! Sucks she has to smell it at all let alone have a mom with type 1. She always sees the bright side. Love her.

Band-aids for sure! My husband and I have said this since I started on it.

Insulin smells like the morgue to me. Like dead bodies. Totally gross. Interesting that it keeps us alive yet it smells like death.

Insulin and Chloraseptic smell almost identical to me. Had a sore throat a couple of months ago and figured I try Chloraseptic spray. Threw that $5 bottle in the trash.

1 Like

Smells like iodine to me!

Band-Aids, definitely. Always wondered why.

I agree Dr BB, like Band-Aids from when I was a kid. My mom says insulin smells like rotten eggs to her. Also to me, her Lantus doesn't smell as strong as her Novolog.

I think it smells awful! It makes my pee smell too...

Ewww

Lantus definitely has less smell if any. It's just the Novolog (for me).

Like others, it smells like gauze, or band-aids.

I agree it does smell like band aids in concentrate form

I have been type I for 26 years and have four other family members that are also type I, so for me when I smell insulin it immediately makes me think of home and family. It is just so much apart of my life that to not smell it at least three times a day leaves me feeling like I'm missing a part of my life...yeah, family,...and sterile medical equipment, it smells like sterile medical equipment as well. LOL.