What Fresh Hell is This?!?

I just injected a pre-meal bolus of Novolog into my abdomen. I held the needle in for more than :30 seconds (I always have to do this or the insulin will leak back out.)

This time, when I pulled out the needle, blood mixed with insulin started gushing out (about equivalent to 10 or more IU of insulin in volume) and now I have this big BUMP under my skin. It’s like a mosquito bite, only twice as big – about the diameter of a thumb nail and the thickness of two to three quarters, stacked.

WTW?

This was not a couple of drops, this was a gusher. What just happened? Did I hit a little arteriole? Am I now going to crash from too-fast absorption? Do I inject more to replace what came out? How much? Wait and test?

Very frustrating. Very.

You probably hit a little vein. I have done this before. I eat, and test later, because I would rather correct a high then have to face a low because I injected again. Yes, you may have more quick absorption, but you may have also just hit the vein ont he way out.

Yeah, I’ve had it happen too, though I only had a real gusher with my pump. I agree with Jennifer, definitely a wait and see and test more frequently thing. I wonder how many years you have to have diabetes for new weird things stop happening to you!

Yep I’m thinking you hit a small vein too.

Try angling the needle more and giving it a little twist as you pull it out…it helps a little but yeah if was just an unlucky area. I’d wait a couple hours and do a correction because you will most likely be a little on the high side. Neosporin helps my shooting mishaps heal better. good luck :smiley:

Thanks, y’all. The swelling has gone down a wee bit and yep, it’s turning blue. Big bruise on the way.

Oh, well. Life with diabetes is almost never boring…

I’ve had leaks before, but this double-whopper mosquito-bite looking thing was a new one for me.

Bodies are weird.

I had to pick up Novolog pens today and I asked the pharmacist what he thought of my little adventure. It’s unanimous: he thinks I nicked a small vein, too. No long-term harm – I just made up for the lost insulin at my next meal and everything stayed IN that time.

Now I have two spots to avoid: the gusher site and a spot about three inches to the left of my belly-button where a nerve is lurking right where I can get it with a needle. YOW.

yeah, been there , done that too… as they say "Sh*t happens"
Butt? I changed the Needles in my Pens to short one’s and haven’t had a problem since… and it’s been Months.

as for You have to leave it in for 30 sec? Strange. I put mine in either Inside Theighs or Stomach , tap it 5x and done deal… No runs, No Drips, No Errors…

Maybe? It’s the Type of Needle requiring this? Have you tried others? Dif. Lengths, Gauges, etc…

Hi Dennis, thanks for the ideas. I have tried different needle lengths. I think it might have something to do with me taking an 81 mg aspirin every day (to protect against stroke and inflammation). It’s a trade-off.

I’m a T2 and I’m injecting larger amounts as a result of my insulin resistance – 20 IU to 30 IU at a time is not unheard of. I just try to break it up, injecting part and then pulling over to a different site to inject the rest. Sometimes I break it into three.

You must have hit a vein. It should not be a problem, just a bit messy. I do not like the sound of the bump though and you might consider calling your diabetic nurse to find out what went wrong and what to do. 30 seconds is a long time to keep a needle in situe, but that should not cause something like that. Perhaps you did not go deep enough or there is a hard lump there that means that the insulin will not be absorbed, or take some time.to absorb. Yeah, I think you need to speak to your nurse or endocrinologist to see what to do. If it was me, I would not inject again as you do not know how much came out.

Another thought, how much do you usually inject? I find that it helps to break down larger doses into 2, 3 or more (depending on the amount) and injecting in different, smaller amounts to spread it about a bit. I learned this on Tudiabetes - helps absorbtion and makes it work quicker.

I think we have all hit veins - I remember doing one at the same time as talking and laughing with my mother and laughing like a hyena when I had a right bleeder (this was before I found Tu) and it was really quite spectacular! No harm done. Just had to throw my underwear away as it did take some time to stop.

Many people use pens, but I disliked them. I bled several times & had fequent bruising. I also didn’t like the leakage not knowing how much was injected. Never have any of these problems with syringes.

I second the advice about not twisting it out.

Thanks Gerri, I find that I have a bit of trouble controlling the pens, even though I do like the convenience. They’re kind of heavy, and if you lose control of them (keeping the angle steady), they sort of rip around inside of you. Yuck.

I had a bad scratch once from almost dropping one as I pulled it out.

I think I’ve about got the hang of them, but today was an outlier, statistically speaking.

Perhaps I just clicked through too fast – I have been known to get distracted while injecting insulin at my desk. It’s easy to glance at the computer screen and momentarily forget that I’m supposed to be s-l-o-w-l-y injecting, not plunging a sink!!! ;0)

Oh yea, I forgot to add the heaviness & clunkiness to my list of pen dislikes. Give me a syringe any day. Seems to be a plot to make simple things difficult. A Tu member mentioned that the pen’s plastic degrades insulin. Yep, no sink plunging:)

Yeah i have faced the same a couple of times. Actually for me the insulin was already in, so i didn’t need to correct.

I am big fan of pens - but the real ones like the NovoPen 3 and 4 with the glas vial not the plastic toys. I rarely hit a blood vessel but it happens at a rate of one hit per year. For the bleeding I have the spoon trick. Just take a bigger spoon and press the round side on the bleeding spot. The coolness will reduce the bleeding and the bump under the skin will be smaller from the pressure. Thus it will not take that long to heal. It might be inappropriate in a restaurant though. If there is no spoon available you can also use the pen itself - a bloody mess but effective as well.

I have only been on insulin for a few months and I use insulin pens as well, I have this happen quite often and it used to freak me out but it never seems to interfere with my bg numbers. I joke with my husband about my "track marks"all over my belly.One thing I did was switch to the nano needle which is teeny tiny but I am switching back to the ones a little larger due to the price difference. I also started injecting at a 45 degree angle and pulling it out at the same angle I put it in at and that has made the biggest difference as I do not have much bodyfat.

The pens are convenient, once you get the hang of them.

I like the spoon trick!!! That sounds like a good solution. However, there will be blood everywhere no matter what.

You are either injecting into the wrong place or your needles are too small.

Try a ‘fattier’ place.

Don’t worry about the blood too much unless it keeps bleeding for a while.

I too get a little blood from time to time, but I put my finger on the injection site and massage gently.

The blood is usually from a small capillary. No one know where they all are, so you guess.

Also, you are holding the needle in for too long. Quick in, inject, hold for a few seconds is pretty much all that is needed.
The directions that came with the pen tell you how to handle using the pen.

Good luck!