What would you like your pump to do?

I want a clear, clean 21st century display readable in the bright sunlight. My Ping uses an archaic late 20th century display unreadable in the sunlight.

Marie,

When you use the Aviva Combo meter and the Bolus Advisor, there is the opportunity to enter in a user-defined "Health" status that will increase/decrease the bolus calculation (and therefore the bolus) by a percentage amount. Granted it is not like the increase/decrease percentages for the basal rate, but policebox is correct.

I am going outside the box on this one. I would like a pump that makes insulin from our on bodies. Drug companies would hate this.

The displays on my cell phone and digital camera are unreadable in the sunlight. So are iPad and other tablet displays as well as many laptop computers. So I'm not sure updating the display would help much with that ... (It seems the only displays readable in sunlight are greyscale LCD displays and e-ink displays.)

I want it to automatically count carbs for me. You know, scan my meal and tell itself how many carbs I'm eating. :)

Store complex bolus programs for repeated meals. We have so much programming complexity available for basal, but boluses have to be manually programmed every time.

I'd like to be able to call up "In 'N 'Out Double Double" in my stored boluses and have my complete instant + square wave bolus be loaded, and cover carbs and protein.

Right now, I have to go through a lot of crap to set it up every time on my Omnipod PDM. And since I eat relatively low carb (<70g/day) pushing calories into protein and fat, I do a combo bolus almost every meal.

I've been disappointed for well over a decade at this issue, not just diabetes gear but cell phones, tablets, and other modern stuff with displays.

There is a bright, very readable, high-resolution LCD display technology available in both grayscale and color that has been used on the Garmin line of hand-held GPS recievers for years and years. This display is backlit for viewing inside, but here's the amazing part: It seems to be back-reflected as well, working absolutely perfectly outdoors. The brighter the light, the easier it is to read. In direct sunlight, it reads as well as a piece of paper with color printing on it.

I just don't get it. These displays would be perfect for cell phones. They'd put an end to "e-ink". The only thing I can think of is they are either or both expensive, and power hogs.

You joke, but there is a project (in the UK, I believe) to create a smartphone app to do exactly that. They're about the beta release... someone posted a discussion here about it not long ago.

Agreed. As excited as I am for the Vibe to be released, it’s frustrating to know that I won’t be able to read it very well when I’m outside.

I don't have an Omnipod., so I don't know, but isn't there a way to have a food info on the PDA part? I like manually doing my boluses because I am a control freak and I use data from my CGM (in terms of trending - not the bg number. I still fingerstick 10-15x a day) and edit my bolus regularly.

How would it know if it was a serving of mashed potatoes or a serving of mashed cauliflower pretending to be mashed potatoes?

Sweet!

There's a food database, but it's pretty lame.

However, what I was talking about was being able to save a bolus pattern, like 8U now + 4U square wave over the next 3 hours. Every time I want to do a combination like that I have to do 5,921,767 button pushes to set it all up.

I'd like to be able to save the bolus configuration, give it a name ("Togos Turkey Sandwich"), then call it up with a few presses and go.

I’d like it right on the skin eliminating tubing. I’d like it smaller. I’d like it to display screen to a phone app. I’d like it to kill germs.

I would like my pump to have alarms so that it will vibrate 2 hours after meal and 2 hours after that, or any other times I set. My pump only has one reminder per day. Not enough.

And hence, it will never happen.

“I’d like it right on the skin eliminating tubing.”

And that is why G_d invented the OmniPod!

Being as how the OmniPos PDM is so freaking huge, it should play downloaded music and have a built-in camera and GPS. And play tiny little movie DVDs. And video games. And have an alarm you can set to wake you up in the morning.

Talk to my Garmin so I can more easily combine the two sets of data. Ok the pump already gathers CGM data (when I have one), BG, carbs and insulin data, so adding in speed, climbs, descents, heart rate, power output data off the Garmin would be great, and beats having to fudge around with Excel to make it work if the pump could take all the data itself.

Oh and thinking on it, a cooling system to keep the insulin cool. Probably a decent sized heat sink would be enough, or if the pump itself was made from metal so it could act as a heat sink, although the issue then is once it's warmed up it will work by warming the insulin also. But yeah, something to keep the insulin more chilled.