Whats a normal Blood Sugar for nondiabetic kids

Best advice?? Just live your lives! Keep an eye on him, of course. Check him every so often if it gives you peace of mind, but above all else, just carry on living your happy lives. Its out of your hands. You did an awesome job Priscilla! As the mom of a 3yr old T1, there is enough worrying after diagnosis, so don't waste energy starting the process early (if he ends up being T1). I know, easier said than done.

Hi Priscilla,
I was worried about my son we gave him the in home A1c test by Bayer worked really well.
http://www.target.com/p/Bayer-A1C-Now-Self-Check-Home-System-2-Count/-/A-12979367?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12979367&CPNG=health%20beauty&ci_sku=12979367&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Wow. Good news I guess, but yeah, if he was my kid I too would be doing exactly what you're planning on doing (testing him). I would probably test him more than once a month...maybe even once daily, but always at different times of the day (one day as soon as he wakes up, the next day 2 hours after a big meal, etc). I would log these numbers and keep close track of them. It doesn't hurt and given the family history, I don't think it would be considered excessive in the least.

I also don't think it would be a bad idea to at least confer with a pediatric endo. There is lots of research and work going on right now about how to slow down the progression of T1. The thought is that if you can at least preserve SOME beta cells, you may have an individual who, while technically insulin dependent, has overall better control because they are still producing some insulin naturally. There are still a lot of unanswered questions in this regard (i.e., does starting someone on insulin sooner rather than later preserve beta cells, does giving people "at high risk" for developing T1 small amounts of insulin slow the development of the condition, etc).

The thing to remember is that T1 doesn't just come on overnight. It's a condition that even in children develops over time. You may be catching that progression and there very well may be something you can do now to slow down progression. He very well may end up a T1 too, but if he maintains some insulin production he will have an easier time managing things.

Finally, if it was my kid (and he's not, so please take this for what it is...just my opinion), I would make his diet relatively low carb. There's no evidence for this AT ALL that I know of, but reducing the carbs he eats may lessen the load on his pancreas and make it not have to work so hard. It may help slow down progression. Again, no evidence, but it's one of those things that I would do just in case it had any benefit (and I don't think eating fewer carbs compared to what is recommended has any detrimental affect. We're not talking Atkins here, just being mindful of what he eats, which you may already be doing anyway without realizing it because of you being T1).

Again, these are just my thoughts as a second generation T1 and what I would do if I had a kid and this started to happen. You did the absolute right thing (IMO) by testing him and bringing him to a doctor when you did. Even if he ends up developing T1, he will benefit from all the new technologies out there and likely live a long, healthy, happy, productive life.

I have to say this...................My cousin decided to have her tubes tied to keep from passing on the D. She adoped a baby girl. Antway this child that she adopted wound up being a diabetic anyway. Debbie knew what to do and just done it for her daughter. I've heard b/f that ur just taking a chance on the gene pool and although both parents of this little girl were prefectly healthy (open adoption there she knew both the parents) and their was no sign of d in either family the child still became a Type 1. My uncle had his last child when he was 63 so it just depends on the person huh????

Pricilla that's good to hear and speaking from experiance it will always remain in the back of ur mind about him. I still worry over my daughter that's 22now and my other daughter is a Type 1 now I got 3 (soon to be 4) grandkids to worry about but it could be alot worse. My husband found out Tuesday that he has inhearted his mom's heart dease and one part of his heart is 50% blocked and the other 1/2 of his heart is 40% blocked

Hi Doris, I guess we never stop worrying about our loved ones no matter what the concern is that were worrying about. Sorry to hear about your husband Im sure he will be ok, good luck

thanks for the advice, I reduced his sugar intake right away and am changing his eating habits around and my daughters too. My husband wanted to check his bs just for some peace of mind so we have done it 3 nights in a row, he read 118,101, and 138. So those are better to see. It doesnt help that it was his bday yesterday and has his party tomorrow, but like the dr said dont deprive him on special occassions;) I was looking into the studies being done like you mentioned on prediabetics. The hospital I deal with is actually conducting research on children with diabetic parents so Ill look into that more. Thank you again.

sorry about the scare. give him a huge hug for his bday!

Adding to the earlier issue, neither my parents, nor their parents have had any autoimmune disease much less diabetes. The studies now show that Type 1’s children are only at a 5% higher chance of getting it. Like someone else said, there many other things to worry about. By Gary’s logic, anyone with cancer, heart disease, or any other condition that is in anyway related to genetics should not reproduce. And I believe it is a very rude assumption to make saying that type 1’s don’t think about giving it to their children. When I was diagnosed, the very first question my wife asked the endo was, “what does this mean about us having children.” I think I can make a fair assumption that just about every type 1 thinking about having a child has asked their doctor that same question.

“Hurting people hurt people.” I am praying for you Gary.