What's your preference?

I currently use an Animas Vibe pump and Dexcom G4 CGM. Since I’ve had my pump I have my CGM linked with it; I thought this would be a good idea because it meant I didn’t have to have two items on my waist belt. My problem is that (unless I’m missing something here) the pump does not show graphs, it can only tell me the current glucose reading. I do best with BG control when I can see a graph at all times and tell where I am headed and where I have been, etc. I need to see that trend in order to keep motivated and make instant adjustments and keep on top of myself.

I guess I will be going back to using my Dexcom receiver as well as my pump. I so love to see that graph, especially when I’m able to keep that line straight! :smile:

What do you use? How do you work it? How well does it work for your control?

I thought the Vibe did have a small graph on its face. It just shows a number? Is there at least an arrow showing trend direction? I agree with you. Having an idea where the BG has been over at least the last three hours gives better info.

The idea of using one less device never appealed to me. That’s why I decided against the Vibe. I like having an alarm source that I can keep above the covers at night, too.

I use the Dexcom G4 Share system. That gives my a display on my iPhone also. My CGM is absolutely key to BG control. I can usually stay in my target range 80+% of the time with less than 5% time low.

I have the G5 transmitters on standby and that will let me use my phone instead of the receiver but I intend to use both. An extra device to tend is no big deal for me. I will spool up the G5 system when my current G4 transmitter gets used up.

This picture from the Animas website shows a graph.

Maybe you need to figure out how to navigate to it. It looks like it’s in there. It didn’t make sense that it wouldn’t show a graph. It is a bit small.

I’ve spent time going through every single button/option on my device and I never get anything but a current number. no graph or arrows, etc. I guess I need to read the handbook again, or call for help. Anyway, with the pump I have to go through a couple pages before I even see my current number. With the Dex receiver I just look and, boom, there it is, graph and all. :smile:

I don’t mind using multiple devices and carrying them around, it’s no big deal. I just originally thought it would be more convenient to have it all on one device, but it hasn’t turned out that way.

Also, I don’t like the alert on the vibe, it’s not loud enough even at top volume. I love that the Dex is loud and has a different sound for highs and lows. Especially in the middle of the night; there’s no sleeping through that!

I have to say that the graph is the most important element to the Dex CGM technology, IMO. I am certain the graph is there, but it might be hidden; requiring some button-pushing to get there. Hope that doesn’t push your buttons too much!

Having the trending in a CGM’s visual display is critical, especially when the arrows can be so misleading. Just yesterday, I had a straight up arrow with my BG @138. The trending dots didn’t support that, so I ignored it. Five minutes later, I had a straight arrow and a reading of 136. Fifteen minutes later, I still had a straight arrow and a reading of 122.

1 Like

I have a friend with a Vibe and hers has a graph. I’d read the manual or call technical support.

I currently use a Ping and Dexcom G4. I like having the separate unit, and most of the time it doesn’t bother me having two devices, so I don’t really want a Vibe. Hopefully something better will come along before my current pump fails (it’s already been out of warranty for six months, so it could fail at any time…).

1 Like

In order to see the graphs on the Vibe when your CGM is enabled, there are two ways. First is if your screen is inactive (black), press the top button on your pump. That will show the last CGM screen that you looked at in your previous session. If you want to see other screens (graphs), press the up or down arrow. Keep pressing until you get to the graph that you want to see. Then remember that whatever screen you look at last will be your starting screen next time.

The second way is from the Main Menu. Press CGM and it will work as in the previous paragraph. I personally wish that the top button on the pump was a dedicated CGM button rather than becoming a screen brightness button when the pump is active.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that as soon as I get my new transmitter (current one up and died yesterday). Not using a CGM at this very moment because I am waiting on a new transmitter to arrive.

That’s so easy I don’t know why it would not have crossed my mind. If it’s fast enough I won’t go back to the Dex receiver.

From the CGM screen showing the BG and arrow, press the UP arrow on the Vibe to go to 1-hour graph, or DOWN arrow to go to 24-hr graph. Repeatedly pressing UP or DOWN will scroll though the BG/Arrow, 1-hr, 3-hr, 6-hr, 12-hr and 24-hr graphs.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t remember being shown that in training or reading it in the book. and I have no idea why it never occurred to me to try the arrow buttons while on that screen.

Sounds easy peasy, I’ll try it out as soon as I get my new transmitter.