Where to buy dexcom supplies in the USA?

I am having trouble finding a reliable supplier for Dexcom G6 sensors and transmitters. Have you found a company that proactively handles the paperwork so when its time to place an order there aren’t any problems? My health insurance is a private HMO plan and pays 100% IF I buy from a durable medical equipment supplier. Since it is an HMO the time required to mange the paperwork is extensive.

I’m currently buying from Minipharmacy. They are less evil than many of the other companies I looked at but they can’t reliably do the paperwork. They had weren’t following my insurances documentation for billing so a new Prior Authorization was required and they didn’t request one for two weeks after I placed my order. I had spares because I had read here about these problems on this forum. Minipharmacy refuses to send my next order early enough to replace my supply of spares.

Other companies I have considered:
Edgepark - Their customer service agents can only read from a script. They treat everyone like a medicare customer which means they require medical information they do not need. Collecting medical information they don’t need means they aren’t HIPAA compliant.
Byram - My endo first sent my prescription to Edgepark. I started getting calls from Byram saying they were calling to set up my CGM order. I answered a call from them, asked them to put me on their do not call list. My doctors office called me that day to say Byram called them and said I refused to get a CGM. I had the person confirm the prescription was sent to Edgepark. Ironically, if they hadn’t been running a scam I might have tried to use them.
US Med - A pending lawsuit accuses them of renting medical equipment they were repairing for other companies so I chose not to do business with them.
Advanced Diabetes Supply - They can’t bother to buy a domain for their company and instead use the domain of the owner’s previous company. This suggests a management style I don’t trust so I choose not to do business with them.
Diabetes Supply Center of the Midland, Healthy Living Medical Supplies and Solara were bought by AdaptHealth which is owned by private equity firms. These companies don’t typically offer high quality service.
Edwards and Pinnacle both use a unsecured web form that generates an email when submitting a refill request. Not HIPAA compliant.

I’ve tried Edgepark, Solara and Edwards (and maybe others?) over the years and found Edwards to be very responsive. They are easy to communicate with on the phone and they follow through on everything is expected of them. HIPAA privacy BS is easy to overlook as I don’t care who knows that I am buying CGM supplies.

Been using USMed for a couple years and haven’t had any issues.

I’ve had zero problems with Byram whatsoever.

I use US Med, and have no problems at all. They are great.

Edwards and Pinnacle both use a unsecured web form that generates an email when submitting a refill request. Not HIPAA compliant.

No need for form. Just call Edwards to re-order. My wife uses them. Zero problems.

I used CCSMed as DME supplier for pump supplies and Dexcom. They are ok, still use them for pump.

But now my insurance covers Dexcom as pharmacy so I get dexcom at costco at lower cost, and more convenient.

I try to order from them all and then take bets on who will get to the finish line first. My method is incredibility inefficient but so far the house (me) has collected $425 betting on the field.

All I need now is to get others to bet. So far I have paid the house $625. I think someone is skimming the pot.

1 Like

I receive excellent service from this company. Reorders by email, no problems when reauthorizations are needed.

I preferred to keep ordering with dexcom directly but they stopped doing that.

I was switched to Byram and it’s been fine ever since.
Actually easier than when I ordered directly.

Thanks everyone for letting me know who is working for you!

Tony24: I had considered this option. But if they don’t care enough to do a good job with their public facing IT infrastructure why would they care to do any better with their internal systems.

Edwards is my Plan F. I like everything else I have seen about the company and your and others good experiences with them mean if I can’t find a better company I will try them. Having a CGM is infinitely more important than data security.

(edited to fix quote reference problem)

MM1, how did you find CCSMed? Were you using them 10 years ago when they went bankrupt to reorganize and if so were there any issues getting supplies?

I see they’ve been sued twice for asking medicare patients to change devices because the device manufacturer was offering CCSMed a discount. Have they ever asked you to try a different pump or CGM?

Thank you very much for replying. I never heard of CCSMed and they look better than the rest.

I used to be serviced by Dexcom direct until they stopped being a direct supplier in my area. They gave me an option of vendors to choose from and I chose CCSmed and Dexcom did all the legwork to switch me over. CCSMed has been totally awesome, both in proactively processing my monthly supplies order as well as always giving me on-time delivery. I was hesitant moving from Dexcom direct but could not be happier and they are actually easier to deal with than Dexcom was prior to the switch a few years back.

The Dexcom rep when they stopped supplying directly actually recommended ADS as being the best choice at the time. Dexcom sent the paperwork to them and ADS did everything for me at the beginning.

And now they just send me a text saying do I need my supplies and I confirm and then they send them. I’ve not had any issues.

I started using them in 2019ish, to get medtronic supplies and dexcom seven? Then got Tandem pump and supplies, Dexcom G4, and G6. Last year my insurance started allowing Pharmacy for dexcom, so now I only get Tandem, and minimal problems.
There was a shortage of Tandem XC infusion sets, so they shipped autosoft 90s. But other online folks said they continued to get XCs from other providers. Fortunately, Tandem sent me XCs and I sent them unopened boxes of auto 90s.

I rarely talk to CCSmed folks unless there is problem. I was not aware they went bankrupt. But so did my past employer, and now doing ok.

My initial setup with CCSmed was during initial covid outbreak. Employees out, or trying to set up work from home. I think this led to many of the issues I had with them.

I have been on a pump for 20 years. Most of the companies I have used were very poor customer service.
About 3 years ago I tried Wellstart Medical 1-800-978-7599 and they have been terrific.

Thank you for the details.

Thanks for another one I hadn’t looked at yet. I can’t find anything sketchy about Wellstart and other people have recommended them on the forum.

Your best bet is really to get a recommendation from the Dexcom rep that services your area. Dexcom uses a lot of different re-sellers and some are great in one territory while being a disaster in another territory. The local Dexcom rep knows who are the best re-sellers are in your territory so it really does not make much sense to ask a wide audience in different locations on this board unless you specify where you live and then the Dexcom users in your area can chime in.