Which book Type II?

I am about to buy Dr. Bernstein’s book.

I see one of the comments on Amazon that says that one should get The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein’s Low-Carbohydrate Solution for Type II and that Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars was a waste of their time.

I am newly dx (7/10) and need all the help I can get, but then again I don’t want to buy every book (would be nice, but not affordable).

I also have “The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed” by Grethen Becker

Your opinion?

The opposite. Diabetes Solution is wonderful. The Diabetes Diet is a waste of money. You can find better low carb recipes on-line.

I agree with Gerri. Dr. B’s recipes are just ok. There are all sorts of wonderful low carb recipes online.

The Diabetes Solution book is excellent.

My opinion is pretty much the same as the others’, I first read Diabetes Solution about 2 years ago and learned a great deal about my disease. It was about 4 yrs after dx and I was getting nowhere, mostly in denial but had no idea how to get a hold of it all. I also picked up the Diabetes Diet and read it but got very little from it. I do not follow his methods to a T since I eat lots of veg & fruits but try to minimize of cut out starches. I admit I miss some good pastas, rices and breads, but I shed the lbs and lowered my bg. I was following the ADA methods before that and really got nowhere. Funny how it seems to counter Dr. B’s theories.
I read the First Year about my 3rd year - I think all Drs. should prescribe reading material to the newly diagnosed. Good luck Alicia, just keep reading, writing and asking questions. This is a great place for that.

I would second everyone opinion on the Bernstein books. I would add Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl either the book or the website.

Hi Alicia,

I have read Diabetes Solution and it is RADICAL. In just 5 weeks I have seen a great improvement. I saw the book on type 2 you mentioned on Amazon; there are 5 books by Dr. B there. I am considering buying “Diabetes Type II: Living a long healthy life through blood sugar normalization” Has anyone read it?

I’ve looked through it. It is a much earlier publication, even before his first edition of “Diabetes Solution” and is out of print. And I have to tell you, over the years I think Dr. B has pretty much stopped considering type 1 and type 2 as different things. He just deals with diabetes, in his view, it is all the same. The information in the Type II book is pretty much all covered in Diabetes Solution and is more up to date. I would skip it.