Who eats Bananas?

Bananas do not work for me. They are too many carbs, too slowly digested to use for corrections and digest too fast for my humalog to stand a fighting chance.

Ironicically enough, last year’s local JDRF walk was handing out bananas to walkers for a snack. I remember thinking: are they trying to kill us?

I eat about a quarter of a large banana, I really like them., I only eat them when they are yellowish -green.. cannot stand overly ripe ones! I pair them with cottage cheese or greek yogurt as a pre-exercise pre overly energetic couple of hours snack and I do not get a spike. If I absolutely want that 1/4 banana at any other time; I almost always pair such consumption with exercise.

God bless,
Brunetta

I do, probally shouldn't, but I find they help with leg cramps.

Gary S

Me too!! Leg cramps suck. Bananas have potassium - Helps quite a bit? I think. Potatoes also are supposed to have lots of potassium. Also high glycemic whatever. So, charlie horse at 3am or potato/banana during day? Low grade choice. I choose BAnanas!!!

I can only eat them if I weigh them and bolus for the exact correct amount of carbs, otherwise I can never guess correctly how many carbs one has. They don't make me spike.

Funny how every body reacts on food..but I eat 2 bananas a day..and it gives me a more time released sugar and never gives me a peak..When I eat an apple my sugar go's extremely high..direct..and when I eat watermelon and pineapple they give me an extreme peak too. My diabetologist is doing research about obesitas and foods..and told my I was right..there is the same amount of sugar in an average size apple as an average banana..but the sugar in the banana is slower and in the apple fast..

A banana is a very healthy snack..better dan any granola bar (those are full of preservatives and fat and sugar) So I eat my banana a day..and it keeps the doctor away...

I absolutely love bananas--they're the one of the few fruits I like. They're on my ever-growing list of non-negotiables (along with coffee, dresses, and the occasional small piece of chocolate). I didn't know that they generally made people spike. I've only been diabetic for a couple of months, so there's a lot I don't know yet. I haven't really noticed any spikes, but I don't know if they don't happen or if I'm just not looking for them.

I like your list of non-negotiables, Nel. Mine are coffee, wine, also dresses though I haven't yet worn one with my pump, and being vegetarian.

I also don't spike from bananas. I eat one as a dipper for nut butter (yeah, weird, I know!) and my blood sugars are fine afterwards. If you check two hours after eating Nel, that is when you would see spikes if they happen.

The only fruit I have too much trouble with to be worth eating are mangos, oranges and pinneapples.

I do not like the taste nor the smell of mangos.
Can eat oranges without a spike if I bolus for them 15 minutes prior to consumption. I LOVE canned ( in natural juice) or fresh pineapple, but they spike me so quickky, they are like candy. Only eat them when I am lowish (65-70), though I love them so. And Ms. Zoe, I do dresses all the time. Much more preferable to slacks in the summer. Message me for tips on how to pull it off ( oops: I meant wearing the dress, not the dress itself, not in this thread LOL)

God bless,
Brunetta

God bless

I also eat bananas and peanut butter. So yummy. :) I also tried bananas and icecream--also really yummy. I had about 15 g carbs' worth of icecream with a banana and peanuts on top. They went well together and kept the bowl of icecream from seeming too small. Yummy! :)

LOL. I agree about summer; I've moved back to the hotlands from the cool Bay Area (triple digits except with thank goodness low humidity). I have already found sales on a couple long skirts which I love but also have a couple sleeveless dresses I haven't worn in a few years. I have tried the bra thing which didn't work for me because I've finally found a bra brand that fits perfectly (I know, TMI). I'm going to order and try the thigh thingies.

Not big on peanut butter - I like every other nut butter though - almond, cashew, macadamia. Same thing and I think the protein (I don't exactly eat teaspoons of it!) helps limit the spikes.

How 'bout a syringe?

I eat 20g carb worth of banana - yes, I weigh them - in my morning oatmeal almost everyday. No spike.