Wondering?

I find that being a t2 on this site is a bit lonely :wink:
So I am doing quite well and in control
I do have a question
So when I get frustrated, and my A1c goes up just a bit (6.1)
Not sure where I post.
I work very hard at keeping things in range.
Just a thought

6 Likes

Fraser - I can relate and know how you feel. I feel like Iā€™m on an island as well since my diabetes was steroid induced (caused by the prednisone I take for my rheumatoid arthritis). I finally got confirmation that I do need insulin, and diet/exercise are not enough. My A1C ranges between 6.5 - 7.1.

I mainly just go with the flow here and read everyoneā€™s post. Some of the items the T1s posts applies and likewise what the T2 advise also hit home.

Congrats on your A1C keep up the good work. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response , just from time to time I am a bit frustrated, many out there dealing with more than me,
Just would like a portion of this site I think it may be time.

1 Like

Hey, I totally relate to your feelings and sometimes frustration. Iā€™m diagnosed T2 myself, but have been on insulin from shortly after diagnosis. I have been in good control, despite many issues along the way; however, I, too, get frustrated (or at least a bit concerned) when my A1c goes up a bit ā€“ even though it remains in good range. I agree, with so many people with bigger problems, any of whom would be more than thrilled with my A1c results, I do find it difficult to discuss my concerns over the change from better numbers (Is it an aberration or a trend?).

Not steroid-induced, like @Kate25, still, I was not a typically ā€œlikely candidateā€ for T2D, so I do find many T2 discussions fail to address my concerns. At the same time, while I relate to some T1 discussions, I donā€™t feel quite ā€˜at homeā€™ there either. Soā€¦ looks like we do need a corner of our own.

2 Likes

There is a T2 category here, our ā€˜cornerā€™.
I am T2, there is a link to the cancer I had and T2, the dr. said it could be why I became diabetic. Iā€™m on tablets, diet and exercise, which is not a very predictable way to control diabetes I find.

1 Like

Hi Fraser! Iā€™m a Type 2 also :smile:

Itā€™s frustrating trying to find a corner you can call your own, but here is a link that will open doorsā€¦

The A1c is but a windowā€¦it doesnā€™t reveal everything. It does not tell you why it went up or downā€¦or remained the same. In fact, the A1c may be somewhat misleading. You may have had many lowsā€¦but your A1c shows a 5.5!! At face value, it looks great but does not reveal how you got a 5.5! On the converseā€¦your A1c may be higher than you expectedā€¦but it does not show that the higher number is partly due to illness, or stress etc.
6.1 is a pretty good readingā€¦I would only get concerned if it continues to escalateā€¦and then I would speak to my doctor. Best wishes Fraser, and keep in touch, ok?

3 Likes

Many of us have felt alone, that is in fact one of the primary reasons TuDiabetes exists. To help people not feel alone. Iā€™d like to point you to a video that the founder of TuD @askmanny posted way back in 2008.

And as to your A1c, remember you are not a number. And that number is just a number and not a very accurate one at that. The most A1c accurate labs are certified to be +/-6% on the A1c so you need to read that lab report as showing your A1c is within the range 5.7 to 6.4 %. Take it all with a grain of salt. I think you are doing absolutely great.

And I very much want this place to be welcome to people with T2. For the last decade Iā€™ve lived with T2 and the on-line community has been important to me. But I am greatly concerned that although T2s outnumber T1s by nearly 10 to 1 we donā€™t see that many here. And so I want to work to make this a warm and useful place to T2. But in the end TuDiabetes is really about the community. The discussion platform is just that, a platform. TuDiabetes is what we as a community make it, so I ask for everyoneā€™s help to help us feel not alone and that we are in a warm and welcoming place.

6 Likes

Thas, I think, we t1 learn a lot from you so please even if you find your t2 cornerā€¦please don,t leave.

1 Like

We all need each other

2 Likes

As one of those T1 people Iā€™d just like to say Iā€™ve found Brianā€™s posts to be some of the most helpful and interesting ones on the site, not least because of his efforts to break down the T1/T2 divide among us. Iā€™ve learned a lot about the similarities of the issues we face from him. If youā€™re looking for a way to find the T2 currents here, scrolling the list of posts on Brianā€™s profile page is a great place to start.

4 Likes

I can say in my case I find generally having a difficult to categorize diabetes is quite lonely. Although I may be gradual onset LADA due to genetic tests, my blood glucose issues do not clearly behave like either T1 or T2 at this point.

2 Likes

And I canā€™t even get my doctors to test me for LADA even though Iā€™m willing to pay out of pocket (bypassing the insurance) since they say, ā€œWhatā€™s the benefit?ā€ Well, I still would like to know. Their response, ā€œYou still would take insulin.ā€ My reply, go the car and beat my head against the headrest. :frowning:

1 Like

Fraser, thanks for bringing this topic up. I usually just read posts and respond every now and then. Because Iā€™ve seen such serious issues being discussed, I often feel uncomfortable talking about my not as serious issues as a T2.

However, I have found very helpful information reading the posts. When I had my first low (T2 on insulin), I recognized the symptoms from descriptions I had read here. Sure enough when I tested, I was low. Since I live by myself, I was glad I was aware enough to take care of it.

Looks like there are a number of little islands hereā€“good to know.

I had the genetic test years ago Kate when screening for celiac (paid for it myself) and it just happens that the particular gene I have is also the 4th most common T1 gene and even more common for LADA I believe. I was fortunate to get the auto-antibody tests but they were negative so I am officially type weirdo for now. Thin T2, slow onset LADA, MODY, who knows? I have learned a lot from all the types here though!

1 Like

I hear ya! Yeah me too. Sounds a lot like my RA. Iā€™m sure as time goes by, the doctors will ā€˜fall intoā€™ or discover by accident or notice something and decide to run additional tests. They always do, but they are never proactive about it, which is frustrating because you lose all that time up front in the beginning.

Anyway, Iā€™m just glad we have a community. The one thing I do miss from the old website is that you could see easily everyone that was T2, where here its a little more hiddenā€“you have look for the sub-community.

1 Like