Accu-Chek Spirit Pump

Hi ! I’m a canadian T1D diagnosed 19 years ago. I am still using a regular BG meter and pens. Somebody I just met gave me me her old pump, the Accu-chek Aviva combo BG meter with the Spirit pump. Anybody used those ? Did you like it ? Tell me all about it please, I need some review from user !

1 Like

both husband and I have used and loved it. very reliable only 1 return for replacement in 4 years we used. We are now on Medtronic as this was dictated by our insurance co. and the Accu pump out of warranty

I did a trial on the pump system, and while I didnt feel it was for me…if someone gave you one I would say go for it!

You may not realize this, but the Accu-Chek Combo system which includes the Accu-Chek Spirit pump may be be used as the basis for building an Android APS automated insulin dosing system. There is a great demand for pumps that can do this.

1 Like

The Accu-Chek Spirit pump was my first pump that I got 10 years ago. I liked it a lot back then. It was very reliable. After around two years I upgraded to the Accu-Chek Spirit Combo and was even more in love! It was also pretty reliable, but not as much as the first one. Had to get a new one twice, while the warranty was active. I never had a disruption of insulin delivery in the 9 years I used them, or an infusion site failure.
When my third one stopped being reliable after the warranty was out I wanted to try the Medtronic MiniMed 640G pump together with the Enlite sensor system. I like this one more just because of the integrated sensor and Guardian System that shuts off the insulin delivery before a low.
It doesn’t allow for typing in manual injections to keep track of active insulin like the Spirit, and I’ve had two infusion site failures during the night that ended up giving me mild DKA, and I’ve had it for less than a year.

I would say go for it! It’s a great pump, and if they had an option to have an integrated sensor as well, then I would definitely go back to the Accu-Chek pump :slight_smile:

Update: Thanks everyone for your help. Because where I live (Québec) we have a public program of reimbursement of pump and pump supplies for minors only (-18), I wont be able to use the pump even tho I already have the damn pump. God, this is frustrating. Thanks again everyone

So sorry…:frowning:

Do you still have this pump? I would be able to use it if you can’t.