After breakfast blood glucose level goes down to 70 and rise after lunch to 200

Please some one guide me, i am worried to much about my health.i am suffering from back pain due to diabetes. i am using mixtard 70/30 insulin morning 22 unit and evening 10 unit, After breakfast my blood suger goes down to 70 and after lunch my blood suger rise to 200, I am working as a programmer in software house from 9am to 5pm.I spend my all time by sitting in front of laptop due to my profession.

So, you are taking a mixed dose of 70% NPH and 30% Regular insulin twice per day. Did I get that right? This insulin is a rather coarse tool to optimize for a type 1 diabetic or T1D. Do you have any other options?

The standard of care of someone with T1D is a protocol of basal plus bolus insulin. Basal insulin is long acting and is intended to counteract the glucose output of your liver, nothing more, nothing less. A short acting insulin is designed to metabolize the food you eat as well as correct high blood glucose values.

NPH is not an ideal basal insulin since it does not last 24 hours and has a notorious peak around 6 hours, but is often unpredictable. NPH requires eating meals on a regimented schedule. One member here, who used this insulin for many years, calls it the “eat now or die insulin”! If you have the option, I would suggest trying to get a basal insulin like Lantus, also known as insulin glargine. I’ve read that it is available in Pakistan.There are probably other basal insulins available to you. You might look for Ultra-Lente. It is no longer available in the US but might be in your part of the world. You could also ask a Pharmacist or Chemist for help in this search.

Then you may cover your meals with Regular, or better yet, one of the rapid acting analog insulins like Apidra, Humalog, or Novolog. I lived for many years using Regular insulin (that’s the 30% of your mixtard insulin) and it is doable but your results will often suffer and is best used with an appropriate pre-bolus time. Regular insulin’s onset, peak and duration are all longer than the rapid acting analog insulins.

To summarize, if I were you, I would talk to my doctor about separating your two types of insulin and dosing separate formulas. Mixtard is generally targeted for people with type II diabetes and works better for many of them. I would also recommend that you read up on basal/bolus regimens in Using Insulin by Walsh and Think Like a Pancreas by Scheiner. Knowledge is power in living with diabetes.

Good luck! You’ve found a good site to ask your questons.

1 Like

Thank you for your helping words, I will talk to my doctor about changing my insulin