Best A1c yet!

I went to the doctor yesterday to get my prescriptions refilled, and they also took an a1c. Today they called me with the result:

5.6!

YES!!!

I've never even been below 6 before, so this is awesome!

Way to go Timmy! Great job! That's awesome! How's the running going?

Pretty good, I had to take a month off when I broke my collar bone, but I'm slowly getting back into it again. I'm running around 3x a week now

Congrats on the A1C, that is amazing.

Definitely Awesome, Way to go!!!!

Awesome, way to go TimmyMac!

Not to unnecessarily swipe or hijack your thread, Timmy (and certainly a huge congrats on the recent A1c), but has anyone seen A1cs that were wrong?

I just had a blood panel done a month ago in May due to what a friend thought might be a heart issue for me (so it warranted checking out, right?...), and they ended up doing an A1c for me on the panel. It was a 5. Whaaaaaaat? I could hardly believe my eyes. A 5? Really?

I'm still rubbing my chin on this one. I knew the Dex would help me achieve new things, but I hardly expected to see a 5...

Whaddaya think?

/\/\

Congrats Timmy - great job!

Michael - you don't say why you're surprised by the 5. Is it because your blood sugars seemed to high for such a low A1C? One thing to consider is that you can get a 5 by having an average of lots of highs and lots of lows.

Idk if my reading is wrong or not, but I know my meter averages are around 140. I know that this meter reads slightly high, but this reading surprised me! (but hey! I'll take it!)

Thanks for all the congrats guys :) It looks like all my hard work is paying off!

Awesome! I have high hopes for you since if I had run when I was your age I'd be fast as hell now!

I kind of feel the same way about the people that were on the xc team. Some of them started logging miles when they were 10 o_o

True enough, Zoe. I realize not everyone keeps track of what others go through here. I should treat each and every thread entirely separately, but I also hate to repeat myself over and over for fear of boring folks to death.

I'd mentioned in other threads at TuD that I had a 6.5 in September '11, followed by a 6.7 in January '12 after being on the Dex for three months.

With this most recent A1c, I hit the above-mentioned 5. I just find that a surprising drop, and I wonder if it's true (but, that's what the blood says! Who am I to argue, right?). My numbers have been overall much better over the past several months -- much flatter because I can get in front of trends -- and I no longer have those ghastly lows overnight that I used to experience without the CGM at my side (I have it set to warn me a 80mgDl). That's all made for a better, though really no less difficult, experience -- it's hard getting up at 2:32AM to eat. I'm working on adjusting Lantus now to ward off those nightly lows -- recently my Endo and I agreed for me to split doses of my Lantus -- that's a first for me with long-acting insulins.

I know that Timmy has worked very hard to get his 5.6, and while I have also been working hard, well, that what's I always do (we all do, right?). However, this is not new stuff to me, having been diagnosed back in 1982.

I'm just wondering. I know that my Ultra One-Touch meter can be off by as much as 20%, and I also know my Dex isn't perfect (I am one of those who will trust it for boluses -- I figure if my One-Touch can be off by up to 20%, then I am taking the same risks trusting the Dex).

To sum up -- overall I am feeling better because of all the micro-adjusting allowed by the Dex, but I was surprised by this 5. I feel really happy about it... but skeptical.

/\/\

Hey, you should feel happy about it...it definitely sounds like you worked for it! There are some other factors that influence A1C, but I forget what they are; one of the more scientific types on here can explain it.

As for the "A1C based on stability vs A1C based on average of highs and lows" I speak for experience. I worked really hard, got more stable than ever last winter and got a 5.7 in December that I was very thrilled with. Then followed a couple months of dealing with both highs and lows, and struggling to get things back in line. I put off doing an A1C not wanting to be disappointed, then my doc pressured me to do one, so I did. Much to my surprise it was again 5.7! At first I thought - this test kit must be stuck on 5.7! But then I realized that it just happened to average out to that. (Some of the more recent numbers were finally stabilized which influenced the average too). I did some searching through my remote to see my averages and they substantiated the A1C; that's the only way to tell the difference. Some people on here use Standard Deviation as well. Bottom line, that first 5.7 was worth a lot more to me than the second.

Congratulations, that is awesome!

Thanks for the info, Zoe. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

And once again, CONGRATS TIMMY!

/\/\

mine two months ago was a 11 im hopimg when i see my docs in acouple months its like 6 im im doing really good now my numbers every day are 120 to 188 and im taking metformin 500 at noon to make sure it stayes low before i was in the 500s all day long ugh! them days are over whewww

alright guys, i'm back. I lost power for 3 days and couldn't get on here.

So once again, thanks for the support guys! I tried telling my friends out in the "real world" and they just give me blank stares... sigh

Congratulations!!! YAY

Congrats Timmy!