Blood in infusion set?

Been pumping for about ten years. This has happened a few times…there is just a little blood visible in the infusion set. Not going up the tube or anything (which i saw on another forum and looks like a nightmare). Blood sugars are normal and no pain. I am extremely squeamish with this and changing sites causes me a lot of anxiety so i would prefer not to change them every time this happens. Its been in a day and a half. Is this ok and normal if there is no pain\BG control problems

If bg’s are OK, then don’t bother to change it. I used to have that happen a lot when I used cannula type sets. I despise them. I never have that issue with Sure-T’s which I’ve been using now for so long I have forgotten. At least a decade, anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I am afraid of sure ts because of manual insersion. But they do sound better.

1 Like

I’m with you, @Displayname1 on the concern over manual insertion - don’t know that I could do them - the Dexcom inserter is about the most I an manage… I do sometimes see blood at infusion sites, but most of the time when removing a site, rather than at insertion. It bothers me, too – especially when I don’t notice it right away and find blood dripping down my arm… (yes, it did happen). Had blood when removing my set last Friday – only this time, for the first time (for me), it also got infected… First time for everything, eh? Got some antibiotics from my doc today… :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

When I see blood at an infusion site, I often have unexplained high BGs. So I always swap out the site at the first sign of blood.

I don’t mind setting up a new site so it’s no big deal for me. I understand the hesitation if you didn’t like needles and the process of starting a new site. As long as your BGs are reasonable, I’d let it ride. I wouldn’t push it past your usual two or three-day site change pattern, however.

1 Like

Sure T’s are the simplest of ALL infusion sets. All you do is place it over your skin, with the tip close to, or touching the skin, and then with your other hand, you give the top of the ST a medium tap. That’s it! It glides right in without ANY FEELING whatsover. All other sets I’ve used have been far more annoying to insert and more often the cause of pain. You guys who won’t try it, don’t know what you are missing. I’ve turned on a lot of people to ST’s over the years and nearly every one is thrilled to be using them. but whatever.

3 Likes

Hmmmm thanks I’ll look into it. I just dont want to manually insert because im bad at it. I have heard so many great things about them.

1 Like

I find manual insertion to be easier for me. I tried the sure T when I first started pumping and I found them to be the easiest to insert but did find them mor uncomfortable to wear.

After trying several different styles of sets I settled on Medtronic Silhouettes, I still use the Tandem version of them. These I also insert manually because the inserter scared the heck out of me. I always felt like I was being harpooned. I always had a fear that I would forget to remove the needle guard and would drive it into me. Irrational I know but who says I am always rational. :grinning:

1 Like

funny how different we are. I can’t tolerate Silhouettes! I tried a few and they hurt like the dickens. I can’t do any angled sets of any type, be they steel or cannula type.

1 Like