CGM wrist watch BG display - Apple Watch

Yes I figured they would write it that way to make more money :smile: I donā€™t pay for a data package so it would be useless for meā€¦

I pre-oreded one today. My main reason is to use it while I run. Especially during a marathon where I think it would be so much easier to just glance at your wrist to see what your BG is doing. I am super psyched to try it for my next marathon which is in November.

+1 @Laddie. I am waiting for the G5 (BT built into transmitter) so I can eliminate the receiver. Itā€™s the only reason I will get an Apple Watch. Yes, itā€™s convenience to be able to glance at your wrist and see your readings, but with the G5 it eliminates the need to carry a receiver as well.

1 Like

I buy some cargo slacks from LLBean that are perfect for diabetes. Hereā€™s a link to a blogpost I wrote about them a while back. They still carry them because I got a new pair a few weeks ago. They donā€™t sell them in a Capri length, so I buy the long ones and cut/hem them to a shorter length.

I have also bought at LLBean Comfort Trail Crop Pants. They have three pockets versus the four of the other style. They are lighter weight and work well also.

(Please note that I am 63 years old so my idea of ā€œstylishā€ might differ from yours.

Word from Dexcom is all this will be supported on Android too in the near future.

Thanks Laddie :blush: Iā€™m going to look at LLBean for stretchy cargo pants too. Those ones look great but I canā€™t wear anything except stretchy pants anymore, itā€™s too uncomfortable even if the fit is good. I have some of their tropic wear cargo pants that have velcro pockets but theyā€™re too short in the waist to crotch area for me so Iā€™ve stopped wearing them unfortunately even though I love the sunscreen effect. I think cargo pants are stylish for sure and practical for us. I use a spy belt but I canā€™t fit everything I need in that, more pockets with velcro enclosures would be great so thereā€™s less worry about things falling out too.

Wanted to bump this topic to see if anyone has yet taken delivery of an Apple Watch and is using it to monitor their blood sugar.

My watch is scheduled for delivery next month, Iā€™m thinking at the end. Iā€™ll report on it when it comes.

:confused: I thought you had already read the discussion topic linked below yet ā€¦ Isnā€™t this what youā€™re asking about? :confused:
My Apple Watch!

Arghh! Youā€™re right. If I had a good memory, Iā€™d be dangerous!

Letā€™s keep in mind that the Dexcom has a very loud audible alert when BG is severely outside normal range. The Apple Watch is also NOT a medical device.

You donā€™t need a data package. This setup will work with an iPod Touch with Bluetooh.

Out of curiosity. How does a visually impaired person use the CGMS?

For most watch functions to work (most apps, including Dexcom), the watch has to be ā€˜in rangeā€™ of the phone, because it is really the phone that is ā€˜storingā€™ these apps. If you have the watch and not the phone, it will show the time and probably do the ā€˜step countingā€™ and ā€˜heartbeat monitoringā€™, but ā€˜phone calls on the watchā€™ (which isnā€™t something I really like because there isnā€™t much speaker volume on the watch) and all of the ā€˜appsā€™ fall by the wayside when not in rage of the phone.

ā€œOne cool feature that I like is that when you raise your wrist you can set the Apple Watch to default to this Dexcom app. So you you donā€™t have to go find the app to see your BGā€™s.ā€

Is that correct? The best i can do with my Apple Watch is get it to default to the LAST app I was using. . .

Thatā€™s a really good question, and Iā€™m sorry that no one has taken the initiative to answer it. My answer is that I don;t know. The ironic thing is that I had eye complications, and have some ā€˜low vision,ā€™ but my reding eyesight is fine. I have a non-diabetic friend who is blind. He ā€˜readsā€™ things through a computer program. I would hope/think that there have to be SOME companies out there to service this need. If you canā€™t find it/them, maybe contact the community service organizations for the blind? I believe one/some of them are called ā€œlighthouseā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m legally blind but can see the Dexcom by putting it (literally) up to my nose and using very, very strong reading glasses (+24 diopters). If my vision is blurry (happens sometimes from allergies or high or low BG) or if the display is red and I canā€™t read it because of the contrast, then I go into the menus and going to ā€œEnter BGā€ where the current BG is then displayed in a white font that is larger than that on the main screen (I then back out without actually entering anything).

1 Like

The shortcoming of Apple Watch, I think that maybe we canā€™t get access to Audible on Apple Watch directly. But other factors of it are perfect.

Just seeing this resurrected thread. I have been using Dexcom on my Apple Watch for about a year now with great results. I have the meter set as a ā€œcomplicationā€ on my watch face, so itā€™s there at a glance just by lifting my wrist. For some reason, the reading is often not there, and I have to touch the watch face and go into the app to see my current level. Iā€™m not sure what causes that, perhaps the 5-minute updates throw it off. Itā€™s still very convenient to use and my favorite feature of the watch.